Win95 - WinXP floppy drive incompatibility

Win95 - WinXP floppy drive incompatibility

Post by Chuck Anderso » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:41:39

I can format and write to a 3.5" floppy on my new Dell with Windows XP, but if I
merely *read* it on my old Win95 machine's 3.5" floppy, it becomes unreadable in
the new system.  Just *reading* it on the old machine does this.  (Floppies
formatted and written on the old machine are also unreadable on the new
machine.)

Anyone else seen this?  I'm still not convinced that the old drive is completely
at fault.  How does reading a floppy change it?

If you know of a more appropriate group to ask this in, please advise.

 Chuck Anderson ? Boulder, CO    CycleTourist at
 http://www.CycleTourist.com        attbi.com
 Tolerance is recognizing that other people have different ideals
 and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

1. Floppy death-3.5 floppy drive changed to 5.25 floppy

The computer is a 486/66 intel  with 24 mb ram running win 95 , sound
blaster , trident vga, winmodem

One day when it was booted up it went on the fritz, no video, and
horrid sounds coming from the speakers. It seemed as if it was booting
by listening to the computer 'go thru its routine' but no picture.

After trying the standard remove the cards and reseat them routine. I
still could not get a display. After replacing the video card with
another slightly different trident card (old card 9440....new card
9400 i think ..or vice versa), I managed to get the display up.

After troubleshooting other stuff (non system disk error-  it was not
recognizing the hard drive and would not boot)
This was when i realized that the floppy wasn't working right because
I could not boot to a floppy disk either. finally got the bios setup
to 'see' the HD with an auto detect and windows booted up.

The floppy drive doesnt appear to be getting power (no light) but  I
tested the power leads and confirmed that it was getting power to that
point . Then I tried a dif floppy drive that i know works with the
same results ...no powerlight  no sign of any activity to the drive
when booting up the computer. (there is  no listing of an A drive on
that initial information screen that I see when booting up either)

When i opened up windows explorer and tried to access the a drive I
noticed that it was listing as a 5.25 floppy and not a 3.5 floppy
drive.

I went into the device manager(which did show a problem with the
"yellow !"! symbol) and removed the floppy from the system and
rebooted the computer hoping windows would detect and install the
drive..no dice

after manually reinstalling the 'standard floppy device driver' and
running in the circles that the windows conflict troubleshooter sent
me through I am right back where i started. (no conflicts ever did
come up in the details box  even though it was supposedly a conflict
that prompted the launch of the troubleshooter)

The floppy drive shows no signs of life  and its still listing as a
5.25 floppy in the windows explorer

Im stumped.... Its probly something simple but i'll be damned if the
answer is coming to me. I also tried a dif connector cable as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for takin the time to read through to the bitter end :)

Dale

2. Microsoft Windows 2000 'domain account lockout' vulnerability

3. Can't install USB external Floppy Drive WinXP

4. My Windows share network doesn't work with TCP-IP

5. WINXP boot err 5 and 8: error finding VFLOPPY.SYS and Fake Floppy Drive not found

6. TONE dialing NO PULSE!!

7. Winxp Pro and Floppy Drive???

8. Directx 9.0

9. Error with Floppy drive VIA WinXP

10. WINXP boot err 5 and 8: error finding VFLOPPY.SYS and Fake Floppy Drive not found

11. Floppy drive won't work in WinXP

12. incompatibility of formatted floppy disks between different windows system

13. floppy disc not recognised on insertion in floppy drive messege please insert floppy disc keeps comming up, floppy drive in device manager says this device is working properley?