backing up mail?

Post by J » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:46:30

I am formatting my hard drive, before I do this is there anyway I can back
up outlook express so I dont lose all of my mail?
Last time I tried copying the Outlook folder from Program Files and then
replacing the new Outlook folder when I had reinstalled my system but this
didnt work. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks.

backing up mail?

Post by Gene Hor » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:04:51

There's a Microsoft article that spells this out in detail -- Q257824.
However, there's even a better, simpler way.  Go to this site:

http://www.pcnet-online.com/dbxtract.htm

It's freeware and a simple little program that beautifully extracts all your
messages to any folder you select in a *.nws format.  *.nws can be read by
Notepad or Wordpad and even saved in text format.

Quote:> I am formatting my hard drive, before I do this is there anyway I can back
> up outlook express so I dont lose all of my mail?
> Last time I tried copying the Outlook folder from Program Files and then
> replacing the new Outlook folder when I had reinstalled my system but this
> didnt work. Has anyone done this before?

> Thanks.

backing up mail?

Post by Al Darb » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:08:39

Go here:
 http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE/
and select the option to [Backup and Restore]

--
Al
(change raptor to eagle)

Quote:> I am formatting my hard drive, before I do this is there anyway I can
> back up outlook express so I dont lose all of my mail?
> Last time I tried copying the Outlook folder from Program Files and
> then replacing the new Outlook folder when I had reinstalled my
> system but this didnt work. Has anyone done this before?

> Thanks.

backing up mail?

Post by J » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:14:07

Can I then chuck all of those emails back into my Inbox once I reinstall
everything?

> There's a Microsoft article that spells this out in detail -- Q257824.
> However, there's even a better, simpler way.  Go to this site:

> http://www.pcnet-online.com/dbxtract.htm

> It's freeware and a simple little program that beautifully extracts all
your
> messages to any folder you select in a *.nws format.  *.nws can be read by
> Notepad or Wordpad and even saved in text format.

> > I am formatting my hard drive, before I do this is there anyway I can
back
> > up outlook express so I dont lose all of my mail?
> > Last time I tried copying the Outlook folder from Program Files and then
> > replacing the new Outlook folder when I had reinstalled my system but
this
> > didnt work. Has anyone done this before?

> > Thanks.

backing up mail?

Post by Al Darb » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:57:02

G'Day Mate,

You can, but I'd strongly advise keeping them somewhere OTHER than your
Inbox.

For instance, I've got mine sorted into around 250 folders, which I
regularly back up.

You're a disaster waiting to happen if you leave them where they are.

--
Al
(change raptor to eagle)

Quote:> Can I then chuck all of those emails back into my Inbox once I
> reinstall everything?

[...]

backing up mail?

Post by Tom » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:07:30

> G'Day Mate,

> You can, but I'd strongly advise keeping them somewhere OTHER than your
> Inbox.

> For instance, I've got mine sorted into around 250 folders, which I
> regularly back up.

> You're a disaster waiting to happen if you leave them where they are.

Why is that a disaster? I save my e-mail data in one folder that comes from where Outlook stores them, and then import it accordingly. But I certainly see it as unreasonable to store them in 250 different folders! You can back up the same storage folder (over and over) from where messages are stored from an e-mail account without having to create so many folders.

backing up mail?

Post by Max Burk » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:56:52

Quote:> J  scribbled:
> I am formatting my hard drive, before I do this is there anyway I can
> back up outlook express so I dont lose all of my mail?
> Last time I tried copying the Outlook folder from Program Files and
> then replacing the new Outlook folder when I had reinstalled my
> system but this didnt work. Has anyone done this before?
> Thanks.

Try the OE backup program at this website.

http://www.inachis.com/product_info/index.htm

It's called E-Backup, I have it scheduled to backup OE once a day, and
then I burn it's backup to a daily CD RW disk......

Besides backing up all the OE folders it will:

With e-Backup you can backup, restore and transfer your valuable Outlook
Express data, Windows Address Book and Internet Explorer Favorites. Why
would you have to re-download or even loose all you existing Outlook
Express messages every time your system crashes or you re-install
Windows? Just use e-Backup to create a compressed backup copy of your
Outlook Express data and store it in a safe place. After the crash or
format, simply restore the backup and your Outlook Express data will be
back again!

See Found Images at :

backing up mail?

Post by Gene Hor » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:02:35

There's a Microsoft article that spells this out in detail -- Q257824.
However, there's even a better, simpler way.  Go to this site:

http://www.pcnet-online.com/dbxtract.htm

It's freeware and a simple little program that beautifully extracts all your
messages to any folder you select in a *.nws format.  *.nws can be read by
Notepad or Wordpad and even saved in text format.

Quote:> I am formatting my hard drive, before I do this is there anyway I can back
> up outlook express so I dont lose all of my mail?
> Last time I tried copying the Outlook folder from Program Files and then
> replacing the new Outlook folder when I had reinstalled my system but this
> didnt work. Has anyone done this before?

> Thanks.

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. VC4.0: How to add a *.lib into a proj.

3. Windows XP Pro - Perda das configura??es dos programas em cada fim de sess?o

4. Size of back-ups

5. Added user account cannot be removed

6. Back ups

7. IE slow to open

8. back ups

9. Battery back up Ups

10. Convert APC Back UPS Pro from Serial to USB?

11. how to(back-ups)

12. Back-Ups