XP and Win2000 Domain Printers

Post by Tim Joyc » Sat, 08 Mar 2003 01:01:28

I have printers that are listed in the active directory
that we must capture or use NET USE for in order to print
with our older dos based apps. I can do this flawlessly
as far as capturing the printers in all environment
except for XP. Unless you are a Admin you can only
capture 1 printer before it askes you for a user name and
password to capture the next printer. AGain this only
happens in XP...Win2000, NT4 capture all the printers I
want to put on a workstation as the user just
fine....What gives!!!!! Help!

Tim

XP and Win2000 Domain Printers

Post by Bruce Sanderso » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:53:35

In XP, "Users" can not "capture" a network printer to an existing (physical)
parallel port (e.g. LPT1).  See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314499..

You have two choices:
1. in the net use command, name an LPT port number that does not exist on
the client computer (e.g. LPT4)
2. re-assign the existing parallel port(s) to a different number
     a. in Device Manager, right click on the parallel port, select
Properties
     b. select the Port Settings tab
     c. select a different "LPT Port Number".

--
Bruce Sanderson  MVP

Quote:> I have printers that are listed in the active directory
> that we must capture or use NET USE for in order to print
> with our older dos based apps. I can do this flawlessly
> as far as capturing the printers in all environment
> except for XP. Unless you are a Admin you can only
> capture 1 printer before it askes you for a user name and
> password to capture the next printer. AGain this only
> happens in XP...Win2000, NT4 capture all the printers I
> want to put on a workstation as the user just
> fine....What gives!!!!! Help!

> Tim

1. XP Pro in Win2000 Domain

Win200 Domain...
200 clients, mostly Win2000 Pro with some new XP Pro
units.

The Win2000 Pro boxes can "browse" items published in the
Active Directory and the XP machines can't. The XP
machines can find anything via Active Directory Search.

But my W2K users can browse "Network Neighborhood, Entire
Network, Microsoft Windows Network, Directory, Domain..."
to find pulished items. XP does not show a "Directory"
entry in that path.

Why is this different? Is there a way to make XP work
like W2K in this case? Is it a setup? Or is it
a "feature?"

Thanks,

Marty

2. slow network connection between win2k server and xp prof-

3. XP pauses on Win2000 domain

4. CISCO 2610 Router - Version 12.0(3)T3 - FA

5. Joining a Win2000 Domain from XP through IPCop firewalls

6. Web Browser History Security Settings

7. XP Pro on a Win2000 domain

8. Service Pack 1 on Network Installation Point

9. XP home no option to join win2000 domain

10. XP in Win2000 AD Domain

11. XP remote access on Win2000 domain

12. XP will not share printer - HP DeskJet952c w/ Win2000

13. Printer Sharing on XP-H (HP952c) w/ Win2000 on LAN