Windows XP and Dell Dimension 4600

Post by Malk » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 02:52:03

> I am having a hardware related problem (I am assuming).  I have this
> DELL
> system which is 2 years old.  Sometimes when trying to power on I get
> nothing.  Then after the power supply is plugged in for a while it
> flickers off and on, then eventually when I push the power on button
> it will power on.
>  The system is acting very strange.  I also cannot plug in any USB
>  devices
> before bootup or the system will not see them.

> Could this be my power supply. or am i missing something...

I would certainly start with swapping out the power supply for a
known-working one.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Post by CDSTEC » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 03:59:01

> > I am having a hardware related problem (I am assuming).  I have this
> > DELL
> > system which is 2 years old.  Sometimes when trying to power on I get
> > nothing.  Then after the power supply is plugged in for a while it
> > flickers off and on, then eventually when I push the power on button
> > it will power on.
> >  The system is acting very strange.  I also cannot plug in any USB
> >  devices
> > before bootup or the system will not see them.

> > Could this be my power supply. or am i missing something...

> I would certainly start with swapping out the power supply for a
> known-working one.

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

One more question.  Should I use a DELL REPLACEMENT PSU or can I use a ATX
with the same ratings.  I am getting controversial feedback on this question.
 Any input ???

Windows XP and Dell Dimension 4600

Post by Bob » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:09:33

I know that some Dell motherboards have reversed a couple of wires from
the power supply connector, effectively making them "proprietary". You
could google up the info if you wanted to use a "non-Dell" but I
wouldn't recommend it for the time and effort.

Post by Malk » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:41:47

>> > I am having a hardware related problem (I am assuming).  I have
>> > this DELL
>> > system which is 2 years old.  Sometimes when trying to power on I
>> > get
>> > nothing.  Then after the power supply is plugged in for a while it
>> > flickers off and on, then eventually when I push the power on
>> > button it will power on.
>> >  The system is acting very strange.  I also cannot plug in any USB
>> >  devices
>> > before bootup or the system will not see them.

>> > Could this be my power supply. or am i missing something...

>> I would certainly start with swapping out the power supply for a
>> known-working one.

>> Malke

> One more question.  Should I use a DELL REPLACEMENT PSU or can I use a
> ATX
> with the same ratings.  I am getting controversial feedback on this
> question.
>  Any input ???

Excellent question, since older Dells did have proprietary psu's. I
should have included the information for you since before I replied the
first time I Googled for "Dell Dimension 4600 proprietary power
supply?". The links I got indicate that the 4600 does *not* use a
proprietary psu so you can use an off-the-shelf one.

Malke
--

Post by CDSTEC » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:54:06

> >> I would certainly start with swapping out the power supply for a
> >> known-working one.

> >> Malke

> > One more question.  Should I use a DELL REPLACEMENT PSU or can I use a
> > ATX
> > with the same ratings.  I am getting controversial feedback on this
> > question.
> >  Any input ???

> Excellent question, since older Dells did have proprietary psu's. I
> should have included the information for you since before I replied the
> first time I Googled for "Dell Dimension 4600 proprietary power
> supply?". The links I got indicate that the 4600 does *not* use a
> proprietary psu so you can use an off-the-shelf one.

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Well Thank you very very much.  I did replace the power supply, "GLAD IT
WASNT PROPIETARY!!", and now the only issue I am having is my USB devices
still will not work if plugged in during boot.

I am running XP HOME EDITION W SP2.  The particuliar device I am trying to
use is a mouse.  If I unplug and plug back in after boot, no problems,
otherwise it acts like it was never there.

Post by Malk » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 06:25:07

> Well Thank you very very much.  I did replace the power supply, "GLAD
> IT WASNT PROPIETARY!!", and now the only issue I am having is my USB
> devices still will not work if plugged in during boot.

> I am running XP HOME EDITION W SP2.  The particuliar device I am
> trying to
> use is a mouse.  If I unplug and plug back in after boot, no problems,
> otherwise it acts like it was never there.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but have you checked on Dell's
website for your specific machine for any updated drivers (chipset or
USB)?

Malke
--

Post by CDSTEC » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:15:03

> > Well Thank you very very much.  I did replace the power supply, "GLAD
> > IT WASNT PROPIETARY!!", and now the only issue I am having is my USB
> > devices still will not work if plugged in during boot.

> > I am running XP HOME EDITION W SP2.  The particuliar device I am
> > trying to
> > use is a mouse.  If I unplug and plug back in after boot, no problems,
> > otherwise it acts like it was never there.

> I don't have a definitive answer for you, but have you checked on Dell's
> website for your specific machine for any updated drivers (chipset or
> USB)?

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

THANKS AGAIN!!.. I did find an issue that seemed to be related to Windows XP
SP2, after further digging I discovered another issue related to needing a
BIOS update.  I checked and the machine had already been flashed.  SOOO...I
looked a little farther, and even though it did not seem related to my issue,
I found an article regarding a black screen during boot after applying SP2.
The article indicated you needed to go into BIOS and Set the USB to NO BOOT.
Even though I was not having the issue described I went into BIOS "(AND
ALTHOUGH THIS MAKES NO SENSE)" and changed the setting under USB to NO BOOT.
GUESS WHAT!  All my USB devices now work during bootup.

I made sure that I answered "WAS THIS POST HELPFUL" and "DID THIS POST
ANSWER YOUR QUESTION" so you get proper credit.  I really appreciate the
folks like you who "WATCH" the groups and try to help guys like me.  Funny
thing is I used to be a guy like you during my days at EDS, but I have been
out of the business so long, I just dont know where to search like I use to.
Thanks again, and I see you work for a rather odd named company, but
obviously know your stuff.  I will think of you in the future when I have an
issue.  If you ever get into trouble with WIN NT or Small Business Server
4.5, those where, well are, my specialty.  I need to bring myself up to date.
 THANKS AGAIN

Post by Malk » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:52:37

>> > Well Thank you very very much.  I did replace the power supply,
>> > "GLAD IT WASNT PROPIETARY!!", and now the only issue I am having is
>> > my USB devices still will not work if plugged in during boot.

>> > I am running XP HOME EDITION W SP2.  The particuliar device I am
>> > trying to
>> > use is a mouse.  If I unplug and plug back in after boot, no
>> > problems, otherwise it acts like it was never there.

>> I don't have a definitive answer for you, but have you checked on
>> Dell's website for your specific machine for any updated drivers
>> (chipset or USB)?

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

> THANKS AGAIN!!.. I did find an issue that seemed to be related to
> Windows XP SP2, after further digging I discovered another issue
> related to needing a
> BIOS update.  I checked and the machine had already been flashed.
> SOOO...I looked a little farther, and even though it did not seem
> related to my issue, I found an article regarding a black screen
> during boot after applying SP2. The article indicated you needed to go
> into BIOS and Set the USB to NO BOOT. Even though I was not having the
> issue described I went into BIOS "(AND ALTHOUGH THIS MAKES NO SENSE)"
> and changed the setting under USB to NO BOOT.
> GUESS WHAT!  All my USB devices now work during bootup.

> I made sure that I answered "WAS THIS POST HELPFUL" and "DID THIS POST
> ANSWER YOUR QUESTION" so you get proper credit.  I really appreciate
> the
> folks like you who "WATCH" the groups and try to help guys like me.
> Funny thing is I used to be a guy like you during my days at EDS, but
> I have been out of the business so long, I just dont know where to
> search like I use to. Thanks again, and I see you work for a rather
> odd named company, but
> obviously know your stuff.  I will think of you in the future when I
> have an
> issue.  If you ever get into trouble with WIN NT or Small Business
> Server
> 4.5, those where, well are, my specialty.  I need to bring myself up
> to date.
>  THANKS AGAIN

Awesome! I'm so glad I was able to help you a little - you need to give
yourself the lion's share of the credit though. You did a great job of
troubleshooting and it was really nice that you took the time to post
the solution. It will help others searching this group in the future.

Thank you for your very lovely words, too. You really made my day.

Take care,

Malke (I own Elephant Boy Computers and yes, it *is* an odd name but it
suits.)   :-)
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Windows XP and Dell Dimension 4600

Post by ANONYMOU » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:11:01

If you enter your SERVICE TAG number on this website, it should tell you
everything about your PC:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukd...

It is an official DELL site so don't worry you will not download
(knowingly!!) any scumware.

Your machine has its own unique service tag at the back of it or at the
base.

> > Well Thank you very very much.  I did replace the power supply, "GLAD
> > IT WASNT PROPIETARY!!", and now the only issue I am having is my USB
> > devices still will not work if plugged in during boot.

> > I am running XP HOME EDITION W SP2.  The particuliar device I am
> > trying to
> > use is a mouse.  If I unplug and plug back in after boot, no problems,
> > otherwise it acts like it was never there.

> I don't have a definitive answer for you, but have you checked on Dell's
> website for your specific machine for any updated drivers (chipset or
> USB)?

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

1. trouble connecting harddrives to dell 4600

I have two western digital 40 gb hard drives from my previous computer that
I want to connect to my new system in order to extract my data from them. I
have attempted to connect one at a time but have been unsuccessful in
getting the new system to recognize them. The cables will only connect one
way so I feel this is not a problem. The hard drives spin up so they are
getting power.  The pin settings are set to cable. The device manager only
shows one hard drive and there is not an error flag.

The data on these disks cannot be retrieved from the old system as the video
card or perhaps the motherboard died.

It has to be something simple that I am overlooking so would really
appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Ted Evans

931-788-5168

2. Windows Media Player 8 garbles mp3 files, WMA okay

3. trouble adding harddrive to dell 4600

4. Creative Modem & XP

5. Dell Dimension 8200 +Windows XP+Display Properties+Windows Classic

6. Check windows media server version

7. 20' to start-up Windows XP on new Dell Dimension

8. XP Encryption

9. Dell Dimension - Windows XP CD, or a recovery CD

10. Dell Dimension 8200 Windows XP Home Edition

11. Toshibe Satellite Pro 4600 WiFi and Windows XP

12. XP Pro - DELL Dimension - Clock loses time

13. WIN XP Pro installed on Dell Dimension