XP to WIN98SE Networking Problem

Post by Mike Porrit » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 11:42:25

Greetings,
I had a stable 3 PC network with all machines running
Win98SE and sharing a cable internet connection via ICS
and connected with a simple hub arrangement..

I have now introduced a new system running Windows XP into
the network.  One of the existing system was showing some
problems talking to the XP machine with what appeared to
be timeout problems transferring files etc.  eg copying a
file of a few meg would give a huge time estimate of
several minutes and then die half way through.

I have now relocated the XP system so that it is the
gateway/host machine to the internet.   Two of the systems
continue to behave properly on the network while the third
struggles along.  It works but so slowly that browsing is
a waste of time.

The configuration setup on each machine is virtually
identical running both TCP/IP and IPX protocols.  I have
completly removed and reinstalled the network on the
problem machine without success.

The problems persist even when the two good machines are
removed from the network.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Porritt

1. Problem with Networking Win XP Pro Host with Win98SE Clients

I have recently installed a fresh copy of Win Xp Pro on
one of my home computers, that previously had Win 98SE on
it with ICS. Everything worked fine then but now, with XP
i can't seem to get the computers networking properly. On
the Win Xp machine i can ping the other computers in the
network, but cannot ping myself??? And the Win98SE
machines can ping each other but not the Win XP machine??
I have run the network wizard, and configured the IPs on
the clients manually 192.168.0.x.

Any suggestions on this weird situation?

2. Accessing Internet through firewall

3. XP network setup wizard problem on Win98SE

4. How do I find out what IP my station is

5. XP - Win98se networking problem with DSL

6. Slow data access

7. Network Printing Poblems - XP Prof, Win98SE, XP Home

8. IE6 update (Q818529) kills print and print-preview.

9. Problems Networking WinXP with Win98se

10. Weird networking problem (Win98SE, NT4, ICS, DSL)

11. Problem with WinME-Win98SE network

12. Coax Network and Win98se Internet Sharing Problem

13. Network XP Pro to Win98SE