THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

Post by Terrence Gor » Fri, 16 May 2003 14:02:23

GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, UNDER "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER";

GOTO "SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER" UNDER ADVANCE CHANGE THE

SETTING FROM DMA TO POI. THIS WILL ALLOW XP ALLOW YOU

ACCESS TO THE DRIVE(S).

THIS SOLUTIONS COMES FROM THE PEOPLE AT MICROSOFT.

MY CDRW AND DVD ARE WORKING FINE NOW

Post by Rich » Fri, 16 May 2003 15:09:02

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, UNDER "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER";

>GOTO "SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER" UNDER ADVANCE CHANGE THE

>SETTING FROM DMA TO POI. THIS WILL ALLOW XP ALLOW YOU

>ACCESS TO THE DRIVE(S).

>THIS SOLUTIONS COMES FROM THE PEOPLE AT MICROSOFT.

>MY CDRW AND DVD ARE WORKING FINE NOW
>.

My configuration: the Primary IDE Controller has my
harddrive and the CD-RW, the Secondary IDE Controller has
my DVD Reader.

If I change the setting on my Primary to POI as well, will
this still allow my Harddrive to work?

THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

Post by CW K » Fri, 16 May 2003 15:19:54

Quote:

> [...]

Changing your hard drive to PIO mode will slow it down drasticly, not to
mention causing HIGH CPU usage, just change the optical devices to PIO,
but you WILL be capped at 16 MB/s and it will use a lot of CPU power.

THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

Post by GranSalsero » Fri, 16 May 2003 22:51:54

My advice would be for you to move the cdrom drive to the
2ndary controller with the dvd.

Never, ever put a slower device on the same controller
with your hard drive.  It will ALWAYS slow it down to the
speed of the slower device.

Your system is already being slowed down by having the
cdrom drive on the same controller as the hard drive.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Post by Ron Martel » Sat, 17 May 2003 05:23:32

>My advice would be for you to move the cdrom drive to the
>2ndary controller with the dvd.

>Never, ever put a slower device on the same controller
>with your hard drive.  It will ALWAYS slow it down to the
>speed of the slower device.

>Your system is already being slowed down by having the
>cdrom drive on the same controller as the hard drive.

That slowdown used to occur with the earliest versions of IDE controllers.
However since the advent of the Enhanced IDE specifications (EIDE) some
years ago this has no longer been a concern.  Each device operates
independently.  The only conflict would be if the channel was actually
busy (in use by one device) at the precise instant the other device wanted
to use it.

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

Post by Rich » Sat, 17 May 2003 13:11:19

Hi,
See my answer to New DVD, CD-RW below.
Sounds strange but got it to work.
Really looks like XP has hardware issues!
Thanx all for the help.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, UNDER "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER";

>GOTO "SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER" UNDER ADVANCE CHANGE THE

>SETTING FROM DMA TO POI. THIS WILL ALLOW XP ALLOW YOU

>ACCESS TO THE DRIVE(S).

>THIS SOLUTIONS COMES FROM THE PEOPLE AT MICROSOFT.

>MY CDRW AND DVD ARE WORKING FINE NOW
>.

THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

Post by NoNoBadDog » Sat, 17 May 2003 17:45:42

Rich;

  Yes, but you lose many features and most of the speed of your drives in
PIO mode.  Did you try switching to a DMA66/DMA100 cable?  What abour
removing the unpper and lower filters limit so that the drives can operate
with DMA enabled?

Bobby

Quote:> Hi,
> See my answer to New DVD, CD-RW below.
> Sounds strange but got it to work.
> Really looks like XP has hardware issues!
> Thanx all for the help.

Post by Sharo » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:50:20

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That fixed my issue also.

I have a COMPAQ Presario 7000 with a samsung SM-304B
DVD/CD-RW.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, UNDER "IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLER";

>GOTO "SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER" UNDER ADVANCE CHANGE THE

>SETTING FROM DMA TO POI. THIS WILL ALLOW XP ALLOW YOU

>ACCESS TO THE DRIVE(S).

>THIS SOLUTIONS COMES FROM THE PEOPLE AT MICROSOFT.

>MY CDRW AND DVD ARE WORKING FINE NOW
>.

THE ANSWER TO YOUR CD, CDRW, DVD PROBLEMS WITH XP

Post by Oliver Ston » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:33:36

I'll try .. but it seems that my CDRW is on primary channel set as master,
and DVD as slave.
HD is on secondary, set as master. Could it be a problem? I know it's a
completely different issue as to optimal configuration of IDE..
So in my case, I should change DMA setting on my primary channel?
Thanks..!

Quote:> Thank you, thank you, thank you!

> That fixed my issue also.

> I have a COMPAQ Presario 7000 with a samsung SM-304B
> DVD/CD-RW.

1. DVD/CDRW driver don't read any CD or DVD

Greetings,

A few days ago my drive was working good, but today nnow
it doesn't recognize any cd in the drive, nor the autorun
works.  Any ideas?  I have a three IDE devices
coonfiguration install on my machine... The primary HDD
is connected as a Master Primary Disk and the DVD/CDRW
unit as a slave in the same IDE channel, the second hard
disk is set as a secondary master disk.

Best regards,

-Juan Carlos

2. HOW TO MAKE FAKE EMAIL ADDRESS

3. dvd/cdrw drive won't read cds but will read dvds

4. Windows NT 4.0 fails to boot at blue startup screen

5. DVD/CDRW unable to read CD on Windows XP home adition

6. Need to access NNTP services using Port 80, 110 or 25

7. Sustained reading or writing to CD/DVD/CDRW crashes XP

8. monitor not going shutting down

9. Please Help - Windows XP CDRW/DVD not recognising cd's

10. XP Home - DVD/CDRW Doesn't Recognise All CD Formats

11. Windows XP Home won't recognise both cdrw/DVD rom and a DVD b

12. DVD/CDRW drive won't read DVD content in XP