Missing "Search" Feature on XP Home Edition

Missing "Search" Feature on XP Home Edition

Post by Grac » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:37:21

Seems Microsfot doesn't speak to those without a "price"
if XP comes with system.  Been on the line with Gateway
for 1 1/2 hours, 2 times on line-once by phone & they
can't fix it.  Microsoft fixes don't work as I already
have SP1 on system & hotfix to restore this feature won't
work if it has service pack already on.  Short of copying
30+ gigs of stuff I have on my computer already and total
re-install (as the operating disk restore that came with
system did not work), I am stuck with NO search
capability to find files on my system.  If anyone can
help it would be greatly appreciated.  Microsoft explains
it can happen to the English version of Home XP & admits
it is a problem.  Says I have missing DLL files &
something about cache.  Gateway advised not to touch the
cache files.  HELP if you can.

Missing "Search" Feature on XP Home Edition

Post by Nichola » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:50:02

Windows XP Search Problems
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm

(Courtesy of Doug Knox, MS-MVP)

--
Nicholas

| Seems Microsfot doesn't speak to those without a "price"
| if XP comes with system.  Been on the line with Gateway
| for 1 1/2 hours, 2 times on line-once by phone & they
| can't fix it.  Microsoft fixes don't work as I already
| have SP1 on system & hotfix to restore this feature won't
| work if it has service pack already on.  Short of copying
| 30+ gigs of stuff I have on my computer already and total
| re-install (as the operating disk restore that came with
| system did not work), I am stuck with NO search
| capability to find files on my system.  If anyone can
| help it would be greatly appreciated.  Microsoft explains
| it can happen to the English version of Home XP & admits
| it is a problem.  Says I have missing DLL files &
| something about cache.  Gateway advised not to touch the
| cache files.  HELP if you can.

1. xp-home edition no "back up" & no "access program"

I've recently gone from windows 98 which had the "access"
program to windows "xp-home edition"  The xp-home edition
does not have the "access program".

1.  Can I correct this by upgrading to xp-professional?
Does xp-professional include the access program and will
it alow me to back up my files?

2.  Where can I get a list of all the program software
included with the windows-xp edition?

2. CD

3. How to make the "search text" feature work with non "txt" file

4. XP Activation

5. Missing "User Accounts" And "Search Companion" Options

6. Windows XP keeps rebooting

7. Missing "User Accounts" and "Search Companion"

8. customizing groups

9. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"

10. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu

11. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Suport" (Start Menu)

12. XP"PRO" vs. XP"HOME"....Which one???

13. Upgrading from "XP Home" to "XP Pro"