How to attain Quick Bootup Times

Post by Paul Suc » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 02:49:11

I've made several attempts to speedup bootup times.
I currently use the ewfmgr (enhanced write filter manager) to allow
the power to be removed at any time.

I've used the tool bootvis.exe to determine bootup time.
By using the optimize option, I shaved 15 seconds off of the bootup
time.
(Find at --> Downloads section -->
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp)

Another option, I chose is to use hibernate mode.
By shutting the computer down in hibernate mode, I can get about 20-30
second bootup times.

---->>>> The problem I'm having with this is that the computer needs
to shutdown in hibernate mode every time. This is impossible if the
power was removed.

So is there a way to fool windows XPE into thinking the computer was
shutdown with hibernate mode????????

Thanks in advance.
Paul Sucro

How to attain Quick Bootup Times

Post by Myron Zimmerma » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:24:40

Paul,

Are you thinking about desiring to resume from a fixed hibernate image and
file system (i.e. truely read-only) - so each resume looks the same (at
least
from the C drive)?  Any persistant data would have to be save on another
driver letter, so on resume the system resyncs to the updated data.

Myron

Quote:> I've made several attempts to speedup bootup times.
> I currently use the ewfmgr (enhanced write filter manager) to allow
> the power to be removed at any time.

> I've used the tool bootvis.exe to determine bootup time.
> By using the optimize option, I shaved 15 seconds off of the bootup
> time.
> (Find at --> Downloads section -->
> http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.asp)

> Another option, I chose is to use hibernate mode.
> By shutting the computer down in hibernate mode, I can get about 20-30
> second bootup times.

> ---->>>> The problem I'm having with this is that the computer needs
> to shutdown in hibernate mode every time. This is impossible if the
> power was removed.

> So is there a way to fool windows XPE into thinking the computer was
> shutdown with hibernate mode????????

> Thanks in advance.
> Paul Sucro

How to attain Quick Bootup Times

Post by Paul Suc » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:19:45

Actually I want to always come up with the same image, every time.

I have a machine, which I don't want to spend extra money on a UPS,
and I want quick startup times.

If I could create an image, and always bootup this image, that would
be all
I need.

Currently, I use the Extended Write Filter, which prevents any changes
to the harddrive. This alone, protects the harddrive under powerfails.

How to attain Quick Bootup Times

Post by Mealinda Hs » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:51:03

Paul,

I went there and downloaded Bootvis program, I installed it on my xpe image
and ran it, but when I tried to do optimization, during "Optimizing the
system for boot performance", I got 2 errors:

Timeout while waiting for schedule service to start

Failed to defrag the system.  Please defrag the disk manually before
starting tracing.

What should I do now?

Mealinda