XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

Post by Earl Bran » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:10:48

I use "Connect to SBC Yahoo" to connect to the Internet with telephone modem
dial-up.
XP "Dial-up Connection" window keeps popping up every time I attempt to
connect and I have to make a couple clicks to make it not appear..
Today I CHECKED or UNCHECKED some blocks in "Dial-up Connection" and now it
doesn't pop up BUT "Dial-up Connection" STARTS DIALING AUTOMATICALLY THE
MINUTE I TURN MY COMPUTER ON.  IT NEVER IS ABLE TO CONNECT (because I have
to use "connect to SBC yahoo" to connect) BUT DIALS OVER AND OVER AND OVER
AND OVER.  EVEN WHEN I AM TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE IT TRIES AND TRIES TO
DIAL.
I have tried several measures but the problem still exists.  I have the 1245
page book  "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out" by Ed Bott and Carl Siechert
BUT I CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION.  I cannot find a solution in XP Help and
Support.
Thanks for your assistance.
With much thanks,
Earl Brant

XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

Post by Will » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:08:20

This is for my W2K, not sure it's the same with XP.

Open IE, Under Tools - Internet Options - Connection. Make sure you check
never dial a connection.

Quote:> I use "Connect to SBC Yahoo" to connect to the Internet with telephone
modem
> dial-up.
> XP "Dial-up Connection" window keeps popping up every time I attempt to
> connect and I have to make a couple clicks to make it not appear..
> Today I CHECKED or UNCHECKED some blocks in "Dial-up Connection" and now
it
> doesn't pop up BUT "Dial-up Connection" STARTS DIALING AUTOMATICALLY THE
> MINUTE I TURN MY COMPUTER ON.  IT NEVER IS ABLE TO CONNECT (because I have
> to use "connect to SBC yahoo" to connect) BUT DIALS OVER AND OVER AND OVER
> AND OVER.  EVEN WHEN I AM TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE IT TRIES AND TRIES TO
> DIAL.
> I have tried several measures but the problem still exists.  I have the
1245
> page book  "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out" by Ed Bott and Carl Siechert
> BUT I CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION.  I cannot find a solution in XP Help and
> Support.
> Thanks for your assistance.
> With much thanks,
> Earl Brant

XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

Post by Earl Bran » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:36:47

Will,
I had that done already.
When I disconnect from the internet the "Dial-up Connection" immediately
tried to connect...unsuccessfully................It won't connect as I have
to connect through "Connect to SBC Yahoo"
SO I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks again................Earl

> This is for my W2K, not sure it's the same with XP.

> Open IE, Under Tools - Internet Options - Connection. Make sure you check
> never dial a connection.

> > I use "Connect to SBC Yahoo" to connect to the Internet with telephone
> modem
> > dial-up.
> > XP "Dial-up Connection" window keeps popping up every time I attempt to
> > connect and I have to make a couple clicks to make it not appear..
> > Today I CHECKED or UNCHECKED some blocks in "Dial-up Connection" and now
> it
> > doesn't pop up BUT "Dial-up Connection" STARTS DIALING AUTOMATICALLY THE
> > MINUTE I TURN MY COMPUTER ON.  IT NEVER IS ABLE TO CONNECT (because I
have
> > to use "connect to SBC yahoo" to connect) BUT DIALS OVER AND OVER AND
OVER
> > AND OVER.  EVEN WHEN I AM TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE IT TRIES AND TRIES TO
> > DIAL.
> > I have tried several measures but the problem still exists.  I have the
> 1245
> > page book  "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out" by Ed Bott and Carl
Siechert
> > BUT I CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION.  I cannot find a solution in XP Help and
> > Support.
> > Thanks for your assistance.
> > With much thanks,
> > Earl Brant

XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

Post by Kell » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:40:34

Hi Earl,

See if this helps:

Disable or Enable AutoDial (Line 91)

You may also want to apply this edit:

If remote connections are enabled in Windows, the system may try to initiate
an Internet connection at Windows startup or at the start of many applications.
This setting disables that behavior.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole.

Create a new String value, or modify the existing value, called '
EnableRemoteConnect' and edit the Value Data: "Y" = enable automatic
connections, "N" = disabled.

Exit your registry, you will need to restart or log out of Windows for the change
to take effect.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows? XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> I use "Connect to SBC Yahoo" to connect to the Internet with telephone modem
> dial-up.
> XP "Dial-up Connection" window keeps popping up every time I attempt to
> connect and I have to make a couple clicks to make it not appear..
> Today I CHECKED or UNCHECKED some blocks in "Dial-up Connection" and now it
> doesn't pop up BUT "Dial-up Connection" STARTS DIALING AUTOMATICALLY THE
> MINUTE I TURN MY COMPUTER ON.  IT NEVER IS ABLE TO CONNECT (because I have
> to use "connect to SBC yahoo" to connect) BUT DIALS OVER AND OVER AND OVER
> AND OVER.  EVEN WHEN I AM TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE IT TRIES AND TRIES TO
> DIAL.
> I have tried several measures but the problem still exists.  I have the 1245
> page book  "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out" by Ed Bott and Carl Siechert
> BUT I CANNOT FIND A SOLUTION.  I cannot find a solution in XP Help and
> Support.
> Thanks for your assistance.
> With much thanks,
> Earl Brant

1. Dial up Internet Connection "Password" Problems and Slower Dial-up Connection Speeds

To the Windows XP network_web newsgroup,

I have experienced first hand and also been told by my internet provider
that Windows XP has a nasty habit of reseting my password, this invalidating
my password verification with my provider.  I have to routinely save my
password to get a connection.  I understand Microsoft has known about this
for some months now. Is there any fix available for Windows XP Professional?
I would be very ticked off if this was Microsoft's way to force people onto
their MSN site.

 In addition, when I do connect, assuming I do not get a DNS "cannot find
server" error, my connection speeds in Windows XP Professional range from
21K to 44Kbs, when normally I routinely had 52.2 kbs speeds with Windows
98se.  I have an internal (Lucent Win) modem with the latest driver
available installed in my laptop.  Can anyone explain the slower connection
speeds with the new operating system?

Any information would be appreciated.  I do not want to pay Microsoft Tech
support a fee until I am sure that they will even resolve the problem.

Kevin Smith

2. Sharing files from DOS?

3. Dial-Up Connections and Dialing Rules

4. NS Comm 4.05 shut down by history list !

5. Dial-Up Connection (Pre-dial Terminal Screen)

6. Create MDI Docs Maximized?

7. Manual dial for dial-up connection won't work?

8. CE.NET and multicast

9. XP Dial-Up to a Win98SE Dial-Up server

10. dial up always goes to "never dial a connection"

11. Dial Up Connection - dialing rules

12. Can Windows NT offer dial-up sco unix-like dial-up services?

13. Modem Dial-Up....Pre Dial Terminal Screen???????????????