Monitoring Tools

Post by Jame » Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:46:10

Hello,
      I am not sure if I am in the right newsgroup or
anything but here goes:

   I was wondering if there were any good free monitoring
tools on the internet. The reason I am asking is I am a
Systems Admin and well one of our users has come up and
asked to monitor internet,E-Mail and applications access
on the users computer. They have a Static IP which gets
leased to them from the DHCP server. I would also like to
start monitoring the netwoek traffic on some of our
switches. So please could some one assist with this matter
and point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

James

Monitoring Tools

Post by Paul Russel » Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:35:49

Ethereal is a free-ware sniffer/network monitor tool.  It has some analysis
features as well.

http://www.ethereal.com

Quote:> Hello,
>       I am not sure if I am in the right newsgroup or
> anything but here goes:

>    I was wondering if there were any good free monitoring
> tools on the internet. The reason I am asking is I am a
> Systems Admin and well one of our users has come up and
> asked to monitor internet,E-Mail and applications access
> on the users computer. They have a Static IP which gets
> leased to them from the DHCP server. I would also like to
> start monitoring the netwoek traffic on some of our
> switches. So please could some one assist with this matter
> and point me in the right direction?

> Many Thanks

> James

Monitoring Tools

Post by Michael » Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:02:53

"They have a Static IP which gets leased to them from the DHCP server."

Huh?

Quote:> Hello,
>       I am not sure if I am in the right newsgroup or
> anything but here goes:

>    I was wondering if there were any good free monitoring
> tools on the internet. The reason I am asking is I am a
> Systems Admin and well one of our users has come up and
> asked to monitor internet,E-Mail and applications access
> on the users computer. They have a Static IP which gets
> leased to them from the DHCP server. I would also like to
> start monitoring the netwoek traffic on some of our
> switches. So please could some one assist with this matter
> and point me in the right direction?

> Many Thanks

> James

1. Can anyone recommend me a good CPU monitoring tool

I had this problem whith my Dual 600 while watching DVDs in Win2k. It turned
out to be the software decoder (PowerDVD) not the processors - it is fine
now I have started using Cinemaster Software

You don't state what your doing, but maybe it is a similar problem.

I heard that Standard CPU monitoring tools, such as Microsoft Performance
Monitor, cannot precisely measure the CPU load of the encoder because they
are
not able to show the instantaneous CPU peaks that last just a few
milliseconds.
Although I'm using a dual PIII800 computer, it seems to be losing frames.
Can anyone recommend me a good CPU monitoring tool that can measure the CPU
load
of the encoder?

    Thanks in advance.

Sung.

2. NT BACKUP - makes me really mad!!

3. a monitoring tool (cycle through 20+ live channels)

4. Cassiopeia A-20 no connect to WinNT4.0

5. Management and Monitoring Tools

6. small question on wxFile.Read()

7. Network Monitoring Tool

8. wireless issue with Compaq TC 1000