Pure hardware question

Post by Jonn » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:50:54

Energized UPS.  Turned on PC.  Dual channel notification noted in use by
bios.  No hard drives, or DVD burner noted.   Cannot find anything to boot
from.  Reset PC reboot switch, same as above.
Deenergized UPS, immediately energized UPS.  Same as above.
Deenergized UPS.  Left off for just over a minute.  Energized UPS, turned on
PC.  Bios senses and notes hard drives and DVD burner.

Onboard ide not detected by bios: Primary master (80 GB WDC), primary slave
(200GB WDC), secondary master (LS120 version 5),  secondary slave (TDK DVD
+4X burner).  Detected in all cases: connected to Promise ide card - WDC
45GB, Fujitsu 17GB, connected to Adaptec 2930B scsi card, Seagate 4GB, IBM
9.1GB, Plextor 32TS cdrom.
All seems to be working okay now.  Is something imminent to break?

--
Jonny

Pure hardware question

Post by GHallec » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:13:22

> Energized UPS.  Turned on PC.  Dual channel notification noted in use by
> bios.  No hard drives, or DVD burner noted.   Cannot find anything to boot
> from.  Reset PC reboot switch, same as above.
> Deenergized UPS, immediately energized UPS.  Same as above.
> Deenergized UPS.  Left off for just over a minute.  Energized UPS, turned on
> PC.  Bios senses and notes hard drives and DVD burner.

> Onboard ide not detected by bios: Primary master (80 GB WDC), primary slave
> (200GB WDC), secondary master (LS120 version 5),  secondary slave (TDK DVD
> +4X burner).  Detected in all cases: connected to Promise ide card - WDC
> 45GB, Fujitsu 17GB, connected to Adaptec 2930B scsi card, Seagate 4GB, IBM
> 9.1GB, Plextor 32TS cdrom.
> All seems to be working okay now.  Is something imminent to break?

By "de-energize" UPS, do you mean that the computer is being connected
directly to the main power? If this is the case, then the problem may
be located in one of 2 possible areas --- the UPS battery has gotten
bad and is no longer holding a full charge or the PSU is starting to
show signs of going bad. But there are many connections using the PSU.
Before proceeding any further with an analysis, just what is the rating
of the PSU in Watts and the rating of the UPS in Watts?

Pure hardware question

Post by Jonn » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:23:07

>> Energized UPS.  Turned on PC.  Dual channel notification noted in use by
>> bios.  No hard drives, or DVD burner noted.   Cannot find anything to
>> boot from.  Reset PC reboot switch, same as above.
>> Deenergized UPS, immediately energized UPS.  Same as above.
>> Deenergized UPS.  Left off for just over a minute.  Energized UPS, turned
>> on PC.  Bios senses and notes hard drives and DVD burner.

>> Onboard ide not detected by bios: Primary master (80 GB WDC), primary
>> slave (200GB WDC), secondary master (LS120 version 5),  secondary slave
>> (TDK DVD +4X burner).  Detected in all cases: connected to Promise ide
>> card - WDC 45GB, Fujitsu 17GB, connected to Adaptec 2930B scsi card,
>> Seagate 4GB, IBM 9.1GB, Plextor 32TS cdrom.
>> All seems to be working okay now.  Is something imminent to break?

> By "de-energize" UPS, do you mean that the computer is being connected
> directly to the main power? If this is the case, then the problem may
> be located in one of 2 possible areas --- the UPS battery has gotten
> bad and is no longer holding a full charge or the PSU is starting to
> show signs of going bad. But there are many connections using the PSU.
> Before proceeding any further with an analysis, just what is the rating
> of the PSU in Watts and the rating of the UPS in Watts?

UPS has an on/off switch for the switched outlets which the PC runs off one
of these outlets.  The PC will never run with this switch in the off
position.  No power is present at such an outlet during that occasion.
Battery power has no influence in that situation.
Power supply is 450 watts.
Don't know the wattage rating of the UPS.  Has worked for some years now on
both this PC and those I built prior to that with similar power
requirements.
--
Jonny

Pure hardware question

Post by Kerry Brow » Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:17:43

>>> Energized UPS.  Turned on PC.  Dual channel notification noted in
>>> use by bios.  No hard drives, or DVD burner noted.   Cannot find
>>> anything to boot from.  Reset PC reboot switch, same as above.
>>> Deenergized UPS, immediately energized UPS.  Same as above.
>>> Deenergized UPS.  Left off for just over a minute.  Energized UPS,
>>> turned on PC.  Bios senses and notes hard drives and DVD burner.

>>> Onboard ide not detected by bios: Primary master (80 GB WDC),
>>> primary slave (200GB WDC), secondary master (LS120 version 5), secondary
>>> slave (TDK DVD +4X burner).  Detected in all cases:
>>> connected to Promise ide card - WDC 45GB, Fujitsu 17GB, connected
>>> to Adaptec 2930B scsi card, Seagate 4GB, IBM 9.1GB, Plextor 32TS
>>> cdrom. All seems to be working okay now.  Is something imminent to
>>> break?

>> By "de-energize" UPS, do you mean that the computer is being
>> connected directly to the main power? If this is the case, then the
>> problem may be located in one of 2 possible areas --- the UPS
>> battery has gotten bad and is no longer holding a full charge or the
>> PSU is starting to show signs of going bad. But there are many
>> connections using the PSU. Before proceeding any further with an
>> analysis, just what is the rating of the PSU in Watts and the rating
>> of the UPS in Watts?

> UPS has an on/off switch for the switched outlets which the PC runs
> off one of these outlets.  The PC will never run with this switch in
> the off position.  No power is present at such an outlet during that
> occasion. Battery power has no influence in that situation.
> Power supply is 450 watts.
> Don't know the wattage rating of the UPS.  Has worked for some years
> now on both this PC and those I built prior to that with similar power
> requirements.

If you have been using the UPS for years and not changed the battery then it
probably needs changing. I don't know if this would cause your problem. To
test if this is the cause take the UPS out of the equation and connect all
the equipment directly to the AC. It sounds more like a PSU or motherboard
problem. You have a lot installed in that pc. 450 watts may be marginal.
Many PSUs do not operate reliably when stressed to near their maximum
rating.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Pure hardware question

Post by Jonn » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:25:05

>>> By "de-energize" UPS, do you mean that the computer is being
>>> connected directly to the main power? If this is the case, then the
>>> problem may be located in one of 2 possible areas --- the UPS
>>> battery has gotten bad and is no longer holding a full charge or the
>>> PSU is starting to show signs of going bad. But there are many
>>> connections using the PSU. Before proceeding any further with an
>>> analysis, just what is the rating of the PSU in Watts and the rating
>>> of the UPS in Watts?

>> UPS has an on/off switch for the switched outlets which the PC runs
>> off one of these outlets.  The PC will never run with this switch in
>> the off position.  No power is present at such an outlet during that
>> occasion. Battery power has no influence in that situation.
>> Power supply is 450 watts.
>> Don't know the wattage rating of the UPS.  Has worked for some years
>> now on both this PC and those I built prior to that with similar power
>> requirements.

> If you have been using the UPS for years and not changed the battery then
> it probably needs changing. I don't know if this would cause your problem.
> To test if this is the cause take the UPS out of the equation and connect
> all the equipment directly to the AC. It sounds more like a PSU or
> motherboard problem. You have a lot installed in that pc. 450 watts may be
> marginal. Many PSUs do not operate reliably when stressed to near their
> maximum rating.

> --
> Kerry
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Found that if I turn on the UPS with the on/off switch, and wait about 30
seconds, there's no problems.  Though, I didn't see that problem this
morning when I went throught turn on UPS, then PC routine without waiting.
Will see if things change with PC plugged directly into a wall outlet.  The
UPS is an old PK blackout buster model.  Company is out of business, think I
can still find a battery though.
--
Jonny

Pure hardware question

Post by Kerry Brow » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:41:22

<snipped>

Quote:

> Found that if I turn on the UPS with the on/off switch, and wait
> about 30 seconds, there's no problems.  Though, I didn't see that
> problem this morning when I went throught turn on UPS, then PC
> routine without waiting. Will see if things change with PC plugged
> directly into a wall outlet.  The UPS is an old PK blackout buster
> model.  Company is out of business, think I can still find a battery
> though.

Price out a new UPS. The price of a decent UPS has dropped considerably over
the past few years. It is often cheaper to buy a new one than a battery for
an old one.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Pure hardware question

Post by Jaymo » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:48:01

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Check your PSU's wattage load..
j;-j

> >> UPS has an on/off switch for the switched outlets which the PC runs
> >> off one of these outlets.  The PC will never run with this switch in
> >> the off position.  No power is present at such an outlet during that
> >> occasion. Battery power has no influence in that situation.
> >> Power supply is 450 watts.
> >> Don't know the wattage rating of the UPS.  Has worked for some years
> >> now on both this PC and those I built prior to that with similar power
> >> requirements.

> > If you have been using the UPS for years and not changed the battery then
> > it probably needs changing. I don't know if this would cause your problem.
> > To test if this is the cause take the UPS out of the equation and connect
> > all the equipment directly to the AC. It sounds more like a PSU or
> > motherboard problem. You have a lot installed in that pc. 450 watts may be
> > marginal. Many PSUs do not operate reliably when stressed to near their
> > maximum rating.

> > --
> > Kerry
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

> Found that if I turn on the UPS with the on/off switch, and wait about 30
> seconds, there's no problems.  Though, I didn't see that problem this
> morning when I went throught turn on UPS, then PC routine without waiting.
> Will see if things change with PC plugged directly into a wall outlet.  The
> UPS is an old PK blackout buster model.  Company is out of business, think I
> can still find a battery though.
> --
> Jonny

Pure hardware question

Post by Yves Lecler » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:57:11

><snipped>

>> Found that if I turn on the UPS with the on/off switch, and wait
>> about 30 seconds, there's no problems.  Though, I didn't see that
>> problem this morning when I went throught turn on UPS, then PC
>> routine without waiting. Will see if things change with PC plugged
>> directly into a wall outlet.  The UPS is an old PK blackout buster
>> model.  Company is out of business, think I can still find a battery
>> though.

>Price out a new UPS. The price of a decent UPS has dropped considerably over
>the past few years. It is often cheaper to buy a new one than a battery for
>an old one.

Any  newer UPS unit will come with a warranty and/or a insurance policy, in
case  the unit fails or burns out the PC.

--
---

Y.

1. R6025 -Pure Virtual Function Call WMP9Beta

WMP9Beta

Description of issue: Unable to stream WMV or WMA content.
Receive Runtime Error R6025 -pure virtual function call
Issue Type: Bug
Windows Version: XP updated through MS website
CPU Speed: Intel P4 2 Gigahertz
Memory: 512
Video Card: ATI 7500 Radion All-in-Wonder
Sound Card : Creative SBLive!
Exact steps to reproduce:
When click on WMV or WMA content, I get the error above.
When I close my ATI player after watching content, I get
an error now:
Assert Failed: ATIMMC.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x10003150" referenced memory
at "0x10003150".  The memory could not be "read".  Click
on OK to terminate the program.

2. an operation was attempted on something that is not a socket

3. 6025 pure virtual function call runtime error

4. error 0x800CCC79

5. Multimedia Hardware Question

6. EVC or Platform builder , which one is better to develop USB device driver for CE ( or .net )

7. PURE XXX QUALITY PICS 836

8. trying to fix IE 6 with sfc /scannow

9. A BEGINNER'S QUESTIONS ABOUT HARDWARE

10. Question: Hardware "Demographics"

11. error R6025 - Pure Virtual Funtion Call

12. Newbie: tech. questions about DVD comp.hardware

13. BUG - Pure Virtual Function Call