Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Post by Alexander Irvin » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 01:12:39

Hmmm...Attempting to set up a new VPN for office network access from my
laptop on the road.

Laptop runs XP - My office (PTP server) is running Windows 2000 Professional
using ICS, with 4 other computers sharing the cable modem connection.

Here's the problem -- I go to: "Make New Connection"

I select: "Accept Incoming Connections"

But...I only see my "Supra Modem" (not used) and "Direct Parallel (LPT1)"
available in the select from list

My Cable connection does not appear.

Since that is the incoming cable connection, I am stymied.

Thanks for any clues.

Alex Irving

Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Post by MV » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 04:55:08

You don't want to accept incoming connections if you want to connect
to the office.  You want to "Connect to the Network at my Workplace"

Jeffrey Randow
WinXP Associate Expert/Windows XP MVP (Remote Networking/Security)
Visit the Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 08:12:39 -0800, "Alexander Irving"

>Hmmm...Attempting to set up a new VPN for office network access from my
>laptop on the road.

>Laptop runs XP - My office (PTP server) is running Windows 2000 Professional
>using ICS, with 4 other computers sharing the cable modem connection.

>Here's the problem -- I go to: "Make New Connection"

>I select: "Accept Incoming Connections"

>But...I only see my "Supra Modem" (not used) and "Direct Parallel (LPT1)"
>available in the select from list

>My Cable connection does not appear.

>Since that is the incoming cable connection, I am stymied.

>Thanks for any clues.

>Alex Irving

Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Post by Alexander Irvin » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 03:34:10

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the comeback but it isn't setting up the client I am having
trouble with. . . it is setting up the Win XP pro Server machine to receive
VPN access through the cable modem connection that I cannot seem to get
accomplished.

When I go to: "Make New Connection" and select: "Accept Incoming
Connections", I am only offered a choice of the inactive "Supra Modem"
installed and a "Direct Parallel (LPT1)" connection device in the select
list. My cable network card does not appear as a device choice and therefore
cannot be selected.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Alex

> You don't want to accept incoming connections if you want to connect
> to the office.  You want to "Connect to the Network at my Workplace"

> Jeffrey Randow
> WinXP Associate Expert/Windows XP MVP (Remote Networking/Security)
> Visit the Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 08:12:39 -0800, "Alexander Irving"

> >Hmmm...Attempting to set up a new VPN for office network access from my
> >laptop on the road.

> >Laptop runs XP - My office (PTP server) is running Windows 2000
Professional
> >using ICS, with 4 other computers sharing the cable modem connection.

> >Here's the problem -- I go to: "Make New Connection"

> >I select: "Accept Incoming Connections"

> >But...I only see my "Supra Modem" (not used) and "Direct Parallel (LPT1)"
> >available in the select from list

> >My Cable connection does not appear.

> >Since that is the incoming cable connection, I am stymied.

> >Thanks for any clues.

> >Alex Irving

Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Post by Bill Sanderso » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 01:22:32

You're not pressing the NEXT button.

Uncheck (or check) whatever you wish on the screen you are on, then hit
NEXT.  You will then see a screen with a single checkbox to enable VPN
connections.

In addition to enabling the connection, you need to create one or more users
WITH PASSWORDS who have remote access permissions--I believe the UI will
step you through this.

> Jeffrey,

> Thanks for the comeback but it isn't setting up the client I am having
> trouble with. . . it is setting up the Win XP pro Server machine to
receive
> VPN access through the cable modem connection that I cannot seem to get
> accomplished.

> When I go to: "Make New Connection" and select: "Accept Incoming
> Connections", I am only offered a choice of the inactive "Supra Modem"
> installed and a "Direct Parallel (LPT1)" connection device in the select
> list. My cable network card does not appear as a device choice and
therefore
> cannot be selected.

> What am I doing wrong?

> Thanks

> Alex

> > You don't want to accept incoming connections if you want to connect
> > to the office.  You want to "Connect to the Network at my Workplace"

> > Jeffrey Randow
> > WinXP Associate Expert/Windows XP MVP (Remote Networking/Security)
> > Visit the Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 08:12:39 -0800, "Alexander Irving"

> > >Hmmm...Attempting to set up a new VPN for office network access from my
> > >laptop on the road.

> > >Laptop runs XP - My office (PTP server) is running Windows 2000
> Professional
> > >using ICS, with 4 other computers sharing the cable modem connection.

> > >Here's the problem -- I go to: "Make New Connection"

> > >I select: "Accept Incoming Connections"

> > >But...I only see my "Supra Modem" (not used) and "Direct Parallel
(LPT1)"
> > >available in the select from list

> > >My Cable connection does not appear.

> > >Since that is the incoming cable connection, I am stymied.

> > >Thanks for any clues.

> > >Alex Irving

Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Post by Alexander Irvin » Thu, 03 Jan 2002 23:32:43

I will try this. morning. If that is the case . . . duh.

Thx

Alex

> You're not pressing the NEXT button.

> Uncheck (or check) whatever you wish on the screen you are on, then hit
> NEXT.  You will then see a screen with a single checkbox to enable VPN
> connections.

> In addition to enabling the connection, you need to create one or more
users
> WITH PASSWORDS who have remote access permissions--I believe the UI will
> step you through this.

> > Jeffrey,

> > Thanks for the comeback but it isn't setting up the client I am having
> > trouble with. . . it is setting up the Win XP pro Server machine to
> receive
> > VPN access through the cable modem connection that I cannot seem to get
> > accomplished.

> > When I go to: "Make New Connection" and select: "Accept Incoming
> > Connections", I am only offered a choice of the inactive "Supra Modem"
> > installed and a "Direct Parallel (LPT1)" connection device in the select
> > list. My cable network card does not appear as a device choice and
> therefore
> > cannot be selected.

> > What am I doing wrong?

> > Thanks

> > Alex

> > > You don't want to accept incoming connections if you want to connect
> > > to the office.  You want to "Connect to the Network at my Workplace"

> > > Jeffrey Randow
> > > WinXP Associate Expert/Windows XP MVP (Remote Networking/Security)
> > > Visit the Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > > On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 08:12:39 -0800, "Alexander Irving"

> > Professional

> (LPT1)"

Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

Post by Bill Sanderso » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 00:02:26

It is a strange UI--particularly since once the stuff is set up, all the
connections show on the same property page.

> I will try this. morning. If that is the case . . . duh.

> Thx

> Alex

> > You're not pressing the NEXT button.

> > Uncheck (or check) whatever you wish on the screen you are on, then hit
> > NEXT.  You will then see a screen with a single checkbox to enable VPN
> > connections.

> > In addition to enabling the connection, you need to create one or more
> users
> > WITH PASSWORDS who have remote access permissions--I believe the UI will
> > step you through this.

> > > Jeffrey,

> > > Thanks for the comeback but it isn't setting up the client I am having
> > > trouble with. . . it is setting up the Win XP pro Server machine to
> > receive
> > > VPN access through the cable modem connection that I cannot seem to
get
> > > accomplished.

> > > When I go to: "Make New Connection" and select: "Accept Incoming
> > > Connections", I am only offered a choice of the inactive "Supra Modem"
> > > installed and a "Direct Parallel (LPT1)" connection device in the
select
> > > list. My cable network card does not appear as a device choice and
> > therefore
> > > cannot be selected.

> > > What am I doing wrong?

> > > Thanks

> > > Alex

> my

> > > Professional
connection.

> > (LPT1)"

1. Incoming Connections WIN2K TO XP Pro (VPN)

Hello,
Any help will be appreciated with the following problem

    The problem:
        WIN2K cannot access the shared folders/files from XP Pro machine.
Every time WIN2K tries to access the XP Pro shared folders/files, it is
prompted for a username password saying the username/password is invalid .
However, XP Pro can access the WIN2K shared folders/files
    The Settings:
        1.  XP Pro is setup for incoming connections thru VPN.  WIN2K can
connect to XP Pro machine and both can ping each other and send messages to
each other using net send.
        2. Both machines have same username and password for local security
        3. Both machines are in different workgroup (this shouldn't matter
though becuase the XP Pro machine can access the WIN2K machine)

2. Mapping specific to DOS sessions

3. VPN Incoming Connections Properties

4. IRQ problem WinXP Pro English\Polish

5. Incoming VPN connection to XP Pro

6. Caps Lock makes mouse stop responing

7. Incoming VPN connection, works, but can't see shared resources

8. EIC Conference?

9. Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...

10. HELP incoming VPN config XP Pro config

11. Problem setting up incoming dialup connection (XP Pro)

12. Setting up Incoming connection disables my MSHOME network.

13. vpn connection (please advise as VPN has troubled me for a long time :-)