MP3 files have become system files

Post by GRG » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:01:34

My mp3 files have become system files I believe due to
some misc. virus I once had.  Now they are all hidden and
even though I can see them I cannot change them back to
unhidden because of the fact that they have become system
files.  Does anyone know of a way that I can change that
property, going into properties in the individual files
won't help unless their's something in there I didn't see.

-Thanks

MP3 files have become system files

Post by dbcurri » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:44:33

If you're referring to the loveletter virus and your mp3's are now .vbs
files, you still have the virus, as those vbs's are the virus files and not
changed mp3s.

If you have mp3s but they are hidden, they may still be retrievable, but
they may not. If you do a web search, there are some sites that claim to
have instruction, but I've never tried it, so I don't know how well they
work. I only know of one person who tried to reclaim lost files, and it
didn't work.

Quote:> My mp3 files have become system files I believe due to
> some misc. virus I once had.  Now they are all hidden and
> even though I can see them I cannot change them back to
> unhidden because of the fact that they have become system
> files.  Does anyone know of a way that I can change that
> property, going into properties in the individual files
> won't help unless their's something in there I didn't see.

> -Thanks

MP3 files have become system files

Post by Bruce Chamber » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:00:15

Greetings --

  You've contracted a variant of the rather old, but world-renowned, Love
Letter worm.

    It's *prevented* by installing a good antivirus application and keeping
its virus definition files up-to-date.  (And by exercising a little common
sense in the acceptance of e-mail attachments and avoiding peer-to-peer file
sharing applications such as KaZaa and Morpheus.)  There is, to the best of
my knowledge, no way to recover the infected photos (*.jpg files), as
they've all be overwritten with copies of the worm.  I hope you had them
backed up to tape or CD.  The *.mp3's may be recoverable, as they get copied
to hidden files.

VBS.LoveLetter and Variants
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.loveletter.a.html

VBS.LoveLetter Fix
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/fix.vbs.loveletter.html

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP, Windows - Shell/User
__
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on having
both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> My mp3 files have become system files I believe due to
> some misc. virus I once had.  Now they are all hidden and
> even though I can see them I cannot change them back to
> unhidden because of the fact that they have become system
> files.  Does anyone know of a way that I can change that
> property, going into properties in the individual files
> won't help unless their's something in there I didn't see.

> -Thanks

MP3 files have become system files

Post by grg » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:42:34

Well just some added info I forgot to mention I do still
have all of the mp3 files, and I don't have the virus
because I got rid of that before it destroyed the files
it's just that they're all system files such as important
windows files and I don't know how to make them normal
files I can see them because I enabled the viewing of
hidden and system files it's just that I just wanted to
know if anyone knew of a way to make them normal again.
Or if maybe there's a program that will undo what the
loveletter did to my files.

-Thanks again

MP3 files have become system files

Post by grg » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:35:01

All the song play correctly and are not vbs files it's
that they are system files actual system files such as
windows files is there a way to change that?  I do have
the latest definitions for nav2003 pro.

-Thanks

1. convert .ram file to .wav file or .mp3 file

Hi,
can someone please provide me a detailed explaination of how to turn
a .RAM FILE INTO A .WAV OR .MP3 FILE. This is very important. I have
Winamp and Soundforge also Ra2Wav, but unfortunately was not able to
figure out by myself how to do it. I've worked on it for 2 hours, no
luck!! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!!
clemens

2. terrible problem

3. File system becoming very slow

4. Help! IE6 problems will MSN Billpay

5. ROM only file system + mount alt. root file system = GetFileAttributes fails.

6. "no cd recording device found on your system"

7. Creating a new txt file from the file or file system control?

8. Crashing with DiskKeeper lite.

9. system crashes when copying mp3 file to CD

10. I cannot play system sounds, mp3's or Wave files on my computer...Help PLEASE!

11. DOS FAT (RAW) / ROS MP3 File System

12. Real System Secure Media File, unable to hear mp3 and get error message with real player

13. How to convert a serial of mp3 files to asf files?