Fixes didn't work for CD CDRW Drives

Post by Tim L » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 01:39:10

After upgrading to Windows XP, my friends system can no longer
detect the CD/RW Drive or the CD ROM Drive. I have tried several
of the fixes recommended in this group, including that of
downloading two different proggies and running them.  I've tried
the suggestions of editing the registry as per the Microsoft
Knowledge Base Article 314060. CD-ROM Access Is Missing and
Messages Cite Error Code 31, 32, 19 or (39) After You Remove or
Update Easy CD Creator in Windows XP, but I cannot locate any
Lower-Filters value or Upperfilters Value in the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E9
65-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, so I assume this is not the
problem.

I cannot reinstall the new Roxio program, (that they claim will
fix everything) as I cannot detect my CD ROM Drive. When I add
new hardware, it detects my Drive and says it installs it, and
there is immediately a Yellow Exclamation mark in the Device
Manager by the Drive and the CD-RW DV-RW Drive. It says the
driver may be corrupt.

I have tried "Add Remove Programs" and removed all Easy CD
Creator programs and all shared files when prompted when logged
in as administrator and renamed them to .rox as suggested and
removed all shared files.  Cdrtc.dll, Cdral.dll, Cdr4dll,
Cdr4vsd.vxd, Cdr4vsd.sys.

I ran regedit and selected Hkey_Current_User\software and removed
all Adaptec files that I could find.  (Windows XP often does not
find files that I know are on my system)

I was wondering what I could try next.
Thanks
Tim

Fixes didn't work for CD CDRW Drives

Post by Alvin A Brow » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:57:00

Hello Tim

Give the link below a try.

Alvin
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.php#problems

> After upgrading to Windows XP, my friends system can no longer
> detect the CD/RW Drive or the CD ROM Drive. I have tried several
> of the fixes recommended in this group, including that of
> downloading two different proggies and running them.  I've tried
> the suggestions of editing the registry as per the Microsoft
> Knowledge Base Article 314060. CD-ROM Access Is Missing and
> Messages Cite Error Code 31, 32, 19 or (39) After You Remove or
> Update Easy CD Creator in Windows XP, but I cannot locate any
> Lower-Filters value or Upperfilters Value in the registry key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E9
> 65-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, so I assume this is not the
> problem.

> I cannot reinstall the new Roxio program, (that they claim will
> fix everything) as I cannot detect my CD ROM Drive. When I add
> new hardware, it detects my Drive and says it installs it, and
> there is immediately a Yellow Exclamation mark in the Device
> Manager by the Drive and the CD-RW DV-RW Drive. It says the
> driver may be corrupt.

> I have tried "Add Remove Programs" and removed all Easy CD
> Creator programs and all shared files when prompted when logged
> in as administrator and renamed them to .rox as suggested and
> removed all shared files.  Cdrtc.dll, Cdral.dll, Cdr4dll,
> Cdr4vsd.vxd, Cdr4vsd.sys.

> I ran regedit and selected Hkey_Current_User\software and removed
> all Adaptec files that I could find.  (Windows XP often does not
> find files that I know are on my system)

> I was wondering what I could try next.
> Thanks
> Tim

Fixes didn't work for CD CDRW Drives

Post by stev » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:18:45

This is exaclty the kind of *that happens when you
upgrade.  Do a clean install instead of an upgrade install.

Post by jim ni » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:09:50

> [...]

us;314060

>> After upgrading to Windows XP, my friends system can
no longer
>> detect the CD/RW Drive or the CD ROM Drive. I have
tried several
>> of the fixes recommended in this group, including that
of
>> downloading two different proggies and running them.
I've tried
>> the suggestions of editing the registry as per the
Microsoft
>> Knowledge Base Article 314060. CD-ROM Access Is
Missing and
>> Messages Cite Error Code 31, 32, 19 or (39) After You
Remove or
>> Update Easy CD Creator in Windows XP, but I cannot
locate any
>> Lower-Filters value or Upperfilters Value in the
registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E9

Quote:>> 65-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, so I assume this is
not the
>> problem.

>> I cannot reinstall the new Roxio program, (that they
claim will
>> fix everything) as I cannot detect my CD ROM Drive.
When I add
>> new hardware, it detects my Drive and says it installs
it, and
>> there is immediately a Yellow Exclamation mark in the
Device
>> Manager by the Drive and the CD-RW DV-RW Drive. It
says the
>> driver may be corrupt.

>> I have tried "Add Remove Programs" and removed all
Easy CD
>> Creator programs and all shared files when prompted
when logged
>> in as administrator and renamed them to .rox as
suggested and
>> removed all shared files.  Cdrtc.dll, Cdral.dll,
Cdr4dll,
>> Cdr4vsd.vxd, Cdr4vsd.sys.

>> I ran regedit and selected Hkey_Current_User\software
and removed
>> all Adaptec files that I could find.  (Windows XP
often does not
>> find files that I know are on my system)

>> I was wondering what I could try next.
>> Thanks
>> Tim

>.
>windows update released a patch (cdr-rw problems update

to fix compatability issues 05 feb 2003) which cured mine
will come back with ref no. soon just incase youve not
tried this since before feb (not trying to state obvious)
but this was pointed out to me only 2 days ago but scan
for updates did not find it had to manually search
updates and hey presto writing again!

Fixes didn't work for CD CDRW Drives

Post by Tim L » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:12:40

Yeah, that's what I told them, but it's a little late.
Tim

Quote:> This is exaclty the kind of *that happens when you

Post by don lebo » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:22:55

Quote:Tim L. writes:

>After upgrading to Windows XP, my friends system can no longer
>detect the CD/RW Drive or the CD ROM Drive. I have tried several
>of the fixes recommended in this group, including that of
>downloading two different proggies and running them.  I've tried
>the suggestions of editing the registry as per the Microsoft
>Knowledge Base Article 314060. CD-ROM Access Is Missing and
>Messages Cite Error Code 31, 32, 19 or (39) After You Remove or
>Update Easy CD Creator in Windows XP, but I cannot locate any
>Lower-Filters value or Upperfilters Value in the registry key:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E9
>65-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, so I assume this is not the
>problem.

>I cannot reinstall the new Roxio program, (that they claim will
>fix everything) as I cannot detect my CD ROM Drive. When I add
>new hardware, it detects my Drive and says it installs it, and
>there is immediately a Yellow Exclamation mark in the Device
>Manager by the Drive and the CD-RW DV-RW Drive. It says the
>driver may be corrupt.

>I have tried "Add Remove Programs" and removed all Easy CD
>Creator programs and all shared files when prompted when logged
>in as administrator and renamed them to .rox as suggested and
>removed all shared files.  Cdrtc.dll, Cdral.dll, Cdr4dll,
>Cdr4vsd.vxd, Cdr4vsd.sys.

>I ran regedit and selected Hkey_Current_User\software and removed
>all Adaptec files that I could find.  (Windows XP often does not
>find files that I know are on my system)

>I was wondering what I could try next.

 Some things to check...

 - is the drive connected to one of the standard IDE controllers? If you have
extra controllers (PCI card or a supplemental onboard "enhanced" controller),
it's best not to use those for anything other than hard drives.  Optical
drives should be on one of the regular controllers.

- check the basics. Is the drive properly detected in the BIOS? Is the
physical connection secure, with nothing loose, misaligned, etc.?

- check in Device Manager for errors, on both the drive, and the IDE
connection.

- check the I/O mode in DevMan. (Pull up Properties for the IDE controller the
drive is attached to, then Advanced Settings.) If it's a newer
drive/mainboard, and the drive is showing the slower PIO mode, rather than DMA
or UDMA, there may be a communication problem. Easiest way to try and rectify
this is to remove both the drive(s) and IDE connections, and let XP do a
redetect on the next startup.

 - if you're using third party IDE drivers (VIA, Intel, etc.) remove them, and
see if things work better with the inbox drivers. And if you do want to use
something like that, make sure you have the latest version.

- another device on the same controller may be interfering (common with DVD
drives paired with CD recorders on some systems.) If you can, see if changing
the layout has any effect.

No guarantees, but that's a place to start...

--
   don (MVP)
   http://www.shaka.com/~mdon

   Please follow up to the group ... thanks!

Fixes didn't work for CD CDRW Drives

Post by Tim L » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:22:46

Yes, the first and third links I've tried and failed with.  We
ran the cdgone.zip file and the one on Doug's page.  I haven't
tried this XP-CD-DVD-fix.zip yet, will try it this evening, but
it says it's based on the cdgone.zip program so I don't expect it
to work either. The third link is the one to the article
mentioned below that I could not find the values in the registry
keys mentioned. The middle one seems to be a spotlight on MS
MVP's.
Thanks
Tim

> Hello Tim

> Give the link below a try.

> Alvin
> http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.php#problems
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

> > After upgrading to Windows XP, my friends system can no
longer
> > detect the CD/RW Drive or the CD ROM Drive. I have tried
several
> > of the fixes recommended in this group, including that of
> > downloading two different proggies and running them.  I've
tried
> > the suggestions of editing the registry as per the Microsoft
> > Knowledge Base Article 314060. CD-ROM Access Is Missing and
> > Messages Cite Error Code 31, 32, 19 or (39) After You Remove
or
> > Update Easy CD Creator in Windows XP, but I cannot locate any
> > Lower-Filters value or Upperfilters Value in the registry
key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E9

Quote:> > 65-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, so I assume this is not the
> > problem.

> > I cannot reinstall the new Roxio program, (that they claim
will
> > fix everything) as I cannot detect my CD ROM Drive. When I
add
> > new hardware, it detects my Drive and says it installs it,
and
> > there is immediately a Yellow Exclamation mark in the Device
> > Manager by the Drive and the CD-RW DV-RW Drive. It says the
> > driver may be corrupt.

> > I have tried "Add Remove Programs" and removed all Easy CD
> > Creator programs and all shared files when prompted when
logged
> > in as administrator and renamed them to .rox as suggested and
> > removed all shared files.  Cdrtc.dll, Cdral.dll, Cdr4dll,
> > Cdr4vsd.vxd, Cdr4vsd.sys.

> > I ran regedit and selected Hkey_Current_User\software and
removed
> > all Adaptec files that I could find.  (Windows XP often does
not
> > find files that I know are on my system)

> > I was wondering what I could try next.
> > Thanks
> > Tim

Fixes didn't work for CD CDRW Drives

Post by Tim L » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:25:54

That sounds like something new to try, thanks.  I'll check using
his computer on Windows Update, but will watch your follow up
post for the ref. no.
Thanks!
Tim

Post by jim ni » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:30:55

> [...]

Quote:>> {4D36E9
>> not the

>> claim will
>> When I add
installs
>> it, and
the
>> Device
>> says the

>> Easy CD
>> when logged
>> suggested and
>> Cdr4dll,

Hkey_Current_User\software

Quote:>> and removed

Post by Tim L » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:48:44

> [...]

That seems to have to do with the recording or playing of CD's, I
can't even access my CD Rom Drive or the CD-RW Drives.

      320174 - Compact Disc Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing
Files or Folders or Is Unreadable

     http:// support.Microsoft.com /
default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B320174

disc-recordable (CD-R) or a compact disc-rewritable (CD-RW) by
using a compact disc recorder, you may experience one or more of
the following symptoms:

     Category =  Support & the Knowledge Base:

Post by jimni » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:35:13

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>After upgrading to Windows XP, my friends system can no
longer
>detect the CD/RW Drive or the CD ROM Drive. I have tried
several
>of the fixes recommended in this group, including that of
>downloading two different proggies and running them.
I've tried
>the suggestions of editing the registry as per the
Microsoft
>Knowledge Base Article 314060. CD-ROM Access Is Missing
and
>Messages Cite Error Code 31, 32, 19 or (39) After You
Remove or
>Update Easy CD Creator in Windows XP, but I cannot
locate any
>Lower-Filters value or Upperfilters Value in the
registry key:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class
\{4D36E9
>65-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, so I assume this is not
the
>problem.

>I cannot reinstall the new Roxio program, (that they
claim will
>fix everything) as I cannot detect my CD ROM Drive. When
I add
>new hardware, it detects my Drive and says it installs
it, and
>there is immediately a Yellow Exclamation mark in the
Device
>Manager by the Drive and the CD-RW DV-RW Drive. It says
the
>driver may be corrupt.

>I have tried "Add Remove Programs" and removed all Easy
CD
>Creator programs and all shared files when prompted when
logged
>in as administrator and renamed them to .rox as
suggested and
>removed all shared files.  Cdrtc.dll, Cdral.dll, Cdr4dll,
>Cdr4vsd.vxd, Cdr4vsd.sys.

>I ran regedit and selected Hkey_Current_User\software
and removed
>all Adaptec files that I could find.  (Windows XP often
does not
>find files that I know are on my system)

>I was wondering what I could try next.
>Thanks
>Tim

>.
>my cdr rw came up as hdd went through all same fixes as

previously stated here eventually came up as  diffrent
named cd rom put that update corrected type and settings
sorry if no use just thought worth a try ! anything else
ican thinkof/find out ill post to you!