Internet Connection Sharing issues?

Post by Captain Underpant » Fri, 03 May 2002 00:27:57

So, I have this friend who has a home network where he has his winXP
box set to share the dialup connection with a win98 box.

1)  If he does "anything" on the win98 box it causes the dialup
connection on the XP box to activate(dial out).  I think maybe it has
something to do with the fact that the win98 box is setup to do dhcp
and for whatever reason does not appear in the hosts file on the XP
box and consequently activates the dialup connection to do DNS lookup
or something.  But if anyone else has some ideas I'd be very
greatful....

2) On the XP box, he uses Netscape and Norton Anti-virus.  Neither one
can be made to cause the dialup connection to activate automatically.
Although IE has no problem.  Is there some way to make the dialp
connection the default route?

If anybody can point me in towards some clues I appreciate it very
much.

Cheers
Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

Internet Connection Sharing issues?

Post by Shau » Fri, 03 May 2002 00:42:12

Go to your network folder, find the connect icon, right click and select
properties then select advanced tab. In that box put a check mark in the
little box.

Quote:> So, I have this friend who has a home network where he has his winXP
> box set to share the dialup connection with a win98 box.

> 1)  If he does "anything" on the win98 box it causes the dialup
> connection on the XP box to activate(dial out).  I think maybe it has
> something to do with the fact that the win98 box is setup to do dhcp
> and for whatever reason does not appear in the hosts file on the XP
> box and consequently activates the dialup connection to do DNS lookup
> or something.  But if anyone else has some ideas I'd be very
> greatful....

> 2) On the XP box, he uses Netscape and Norton Anti-virus.  Neither one
> can be made to cause the dialup connection to activate automatically.
> Although IE has no problem.  Is there some way to make the dialp
> connection the default route?

> If anybody can point me in towards some clues I appreciate it very
> much.

> Cheers
> Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

1. Internet Connection Sharing Issue

I have a situation whci I cannot figure out and I'm hoping that
someone here might know the answer, or at least have some clues as to
where to look.

A friend has setup a network in his home consisting of two (2)
machines.   The first is a WinXP box that is connected by dialup to
the outside world and is set to share the connection (ICS).   The
other is a Win 98 2nd Ed  box.  The TCP/IP setup is as per
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309642&GSSNB=1
ie: static ips on both boxes, etc ...

The problem is that whenever the win98 box is attached to the network,
the XP box dials out for what seems to be no reason.  If the Win 98
box is disconnected form the network,  this DOESN'T occur.  We have
checked both boxes for programs that might be casuing the activity,
viruses, etc....  Have also doublke checked the setup including the
hosts file t make sure there are no spelling mistakes.....

HELPHELPHELP

Cheers

Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

2. PrepareToEncode() error.

3. XP Internet Connection Sharing issue

4. bootlog

5. Internet Connection Sharing Issues

6. NT4-WS: parallel use of SCSI and IDE-Disks

7. Internet Connection Firewall (Internet Connection Sharing version) blocks Remote Desktop Web connection

8. XP error message with DLT 7000 : MS_UpdateNtmsOmidInfo

9. Internet Connection Sharing doesn't work when VPN is used on the shared connection

10. Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

11. Internet Connection Sharing Kills Internet Connection

12. Shared internet connection issue

13. Internet connection sharing - button for sharing is not there