How do I clean "free" disk space in XP?

Post by Mr. Bi » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:17:25

Hi,

Its tax time again.  After I prepare my taxes and file my return, I'd
like to delete the tax data from my hard drive (after making an
archive, of course) and then "clean" the "free" space on my HD.

If I recall correctly, Norton did this for older versions of windows,
but it doen's for XP.

So... How do I "wife clean" my free space?

Cheers!

How do I clean "free" disk space in XP?

Post by Nichola » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:22:10

       You may wish to perform a "tune-up" that may help:

1.    Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and place a dot next
       to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and click "apply".

2.    Open MY COMPUTER and double-click your drive, the WINDOWS
       folder, and then the "PREFETCH" folder.  Delete the contents of the
       PREFETCH folder but not the folder itself.

3.    Next, perform a DISK CLEANUP
       (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup)

4.    Go to Start > Run and type:  CMD  , and hit enter.  In the Command
       Prompt window type:  CHKDSK /F  , and hit enter, answer "yes" and
       reboot your computer.

5.    Afterward, perform a DEFRAG of your hard drive.

--
Nicholas

| Hi,
|
| Its tax time again.  After I prepare my taxes and file my return, I'd
| like to delete the tax data from my hard drive (after making an
| archive, of course) and then "clean" the "free" space on my HD.
|
| If I recall correctly, Norton did this for older versions of windows,
| but it doen's for XP.
|
| So... How do I "wife clean" my free space?
|
| Cheers!

1. CD "free space" and "used space"

I have a Windows XP Home Edition machine with a Samsung CD-RW/DVD combo
drive.  When I write files to a CD, the "free space" and used space" fields
in the CD Drive Properties are completely inaccurate.

The "free space" and "used space" fields always add up correctly to the
"capacity" but the "capacity" seems to vary depending on the last file I
wrote.  Sometimes it's 80MB and sometimes it's 400MB.

Has anyone experienced this?

2. Turn Off/Restart button

3. "Clean Install" on blank hard disk from "Upgrade" version of XP?

4. Performance Options- Virtual Memory

5. "To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

6. Dissable Background in IE

7. Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

8. password problems

9. can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

10. Can't install "error" disk full with 55 gb free space .?

11. Disabling "SytemRestore", does not free disk space.

12. Erratic "free disk space"

13. "ActiveX" and "plug-ins" message