My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Jame » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:01:43

This worked well, thank you.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The folder needs to be read-only to process the

desktop.ini file.  Open the command prompt. type 'attrib
+r "My Videos" /s /d'

>Keith

>> yeah... i tried that several times to no avail.

with
>> XP
but
i'm
>> not
ur
>> FAQ.

navigate
as
click on
click
>> OK.

poll)

it
and
>> do
>> edit.
>> folder?

Quote:>> >> >> >Windows XP FAQ

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>

my
>> poll)

reason
>> note
get it
>> have
>> some
decorated
if
>> any

>> >.

>.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:30:45

Hello Keith,
    I realized this and that is why I made the addition, I also mentioned
the need for Hidden and System attributes in the second step. I decided to
use the customize icon step because it actually kills two birds with one
stone. I actually figured out the attributes part from one of your other
posts.
Thanks!
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

Hi Douglas,
    I like your site and it has gotten me out of a jam.  But for the sake of
clarification, the folder in which desktop.ini resides must have its hidden
or system attribute set for desktop.ini to be processed (the customize icon
procedure does this, so your recent addition does work).  You can test this
by opening a command prompt > 'cd\' > 'attrib -h -s desktop.ini /s' (clear
hidden and system attributes on all desktop.ini files).  Browse through
explorer and the folders still have their custom icons.  The only side
effect I know of is that, with these attributes cleared, the desktop.ini
files in the startup directories for the user and AllUsers will be opened in
notepad when you boot.  This test can be reversed by typing 'attrib +h +s
desktop.ini /s'.

Keith

> Hello James,
>     I have revised my solution in my FAQ with an addition that will create
> the desktop.ini file with the correct attributes
> (http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3) and I have also
> added the desktop.ini for a Shared Videos folder that I recieved and
tested
> (http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3_shared_videos).
> Douglas William Thrift

> <http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
> Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
> Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
> (If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> > yeah... i tried that several times to no avail.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Keith Mille » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:42:10

Actually three birds:)
    Creation of desktop.ini
    Setting hidden & system attributes for desktop.ini
    Setting read only attribute for parent folder

Peace,
Keith