My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:28:37

Use TweakUI for WinXP to repair icons perhaps?

--

Danny

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q324722

This may sound really dumb, but for some reason the "My
Music" Folder no longer has the special music note folder
icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it back
and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some way to
make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated folder
icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any of
these things are possible.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:33:17

Hello James,
    Check out my FAQ under Special Folders.
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

Quote:> This may sound really dumb, but for some reason the "My
> Music" Folder no longer has the special music note folder
> icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it back
> and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
> icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some way to
> make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated folder
> icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any of
> these things are possible.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Jame » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:33:47

huh? lost me there... explain.

> [...]

us;Q324722

Quote:>This may sound really dumb, but for some reason the "My
>Music" Folder no longer has the special music note
folder
>icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it back
>and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
>icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some way
>make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated folder
>icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any of
>these things are possible.
>.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Jame » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:50:34

yay! that worked for "my music".  now to change it
for "my videos" the only problem is when i try and do
desktop.ini with that folder there is no file to edit.
how do i create a new destop.ini file for that folder?

______________
>Douglas William Thrift

><http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
>Search Engine

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Quote:>Windows XP FAQ

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
>(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

>> This may sound really dumb, but for some reason the "My
>> Music" Folder no longer has the special music note
folder
>> icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it back
>> and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
>> icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some way
>> make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated folder
>> icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any of
>> these things are possible.

>.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by WG » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:55:31

Douglas,

Is there a link to the page to which you are talking about?

Wyman

> Hello James,
>     Check out my FAQ under Special Folders.
> Douglas William Thrift

> <http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
> Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
> Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
> (If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> > This may sound really dumb, but for some reason the "My
> > Music" Folder no longer has the special music note folder
> > icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it back
> > and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
> > icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some way to
> > make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated folder
> > icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any of
> > these things are possible.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Jame » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:59:26

ya, there was a link... it's
http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

_____________
>> Douglas William Thrift

>> <http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
>> Search Engine

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Quote:>> Windows XP FAQ

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
>> (If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

>> > This may sound really dumb, but for some reason
the "My
>> > Music" Folder no longer has the special music note
folder
>> > icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it
back
>> > and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
>> > icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some
way to
>> > make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated
folder
>> > icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any
of
>> > these things are possible.

>.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:00:57

Hello again,
    Open Notepad and paste in the contents from my page and edit them with
your name, then go to File\Save As..., then navigate to My Videos and in the
File name box type "desktop.ini", and change Save as type to All Files and
click Save.  Then open up My Videos and right click on desktop.ini and
select Properties and check the Hidden box and click OK.
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> yay! that worked for "my music".  now to change it
> for "my videos" the only problem is when i try and do
> desktop.ini with that folder there is no file to edit.
> how do i create a new destop.ini file for that folder?

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:02:44

Hello Wyman,
    It is in my signature. :)
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html> <-- Right
here!
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> Douglas,

> Is there a link to the page to which you are talking about?

> Wyman

> > Hello James,
> >     Check out my FAQ under Special Folders.
> > Douglas William Thrift

> > <http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
> > Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
> > Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
> > (If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> > > This may sound really dumb, but for some reason the "My
> > > Music" Folder no longer has the special music note folder
> > > icon that it once did.  I'd really like to get it back
> > > and don't know how since "properties" doesn't have an
> > > icon function for folders.  Also, if there is some way to
> > > make a "my videos" folder show a video decorated folder
> > > icon that would be cool too.  please tell me if any of
> > > these things are possible.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Jame » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:11:52

Well... i was able to create the file somewhat
successfully but for some reason the icon for "My Videos"
did not change.  could this have something to do with XP
Pro vs Home, the my videos icon never was special but
when you open the folder it has film and such in the
background so i figured there must be some way.  i'm not
sure what to do now since i have done what was in ur FAQ.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello again,
>    Open Notepad and paste in the contents from my page
and edit them with
>your name, then go to File\Save As..., then navigate to

My Videos and in the
Quote:>File name box type "desktop.ini", and change Save as

type to All Files and
>click Save.  Then open up My Videos and right click on
desktop.ini and
>select Properties and check the Hidden box and click OK.
______________
>Douglas William Thrift

><http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
>Search Engine

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Quote:>Windows XP FAQ

<http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
>(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

>> yay! that worked for "my music".  now to change it
>> for "my videos" the only problem is when i try and do
>> desktop.ini with that folder there is no file to edit.
>> how do i create a new destop.ini file for that folder?

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:15:31

Hello James,
    Try logging off then logging back in.
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> Well... i was able to create the file somewhat
> successfully but for some reason the icon for "My Videos"
> did not change.  could this have something to do with XP
> Pro vs Home, the my videos icon never was special but
> when you open the folder it has film and such in the
> background so i figured there must be some way.  i'm not
> sure what to do now since i have done what was in ur FAQ.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Jame » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:18:53

yeah... i tried that several times to no avail.

> [...]

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:27:05

Hmm,
    Maybe if you reboot.
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> yeah... i tried that several times to no avail.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Keith Mille » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:43:56

The folder needs to be read-only to process the desktop.ini file.  Open the command prompt. type 'attrib +r "My Videos" /s /d'

Keith

> yeah... i tried that several times to no avail.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Douglas Thrif » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:56:13

Hello James,
    I have revised my solution in my FAQ with an addition that will create
the desktop.ini file with the correct attributes
(http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3) and I have also
added the desktop.ini for a Shared Videos folder that I recieved and tested
(http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3_shared_videos).
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

> yeah... i tried that several times to no avail.

My Music/My Pictures Icons

Post by Keith Mille » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:56:50

Hi Douglas,
    I like your site and it has gotten me out of a jam.  But for the sake of clarification, the folder in which desktop.ini resides must have its hidden or system attribute set for desktop.ini to be processed (the customize icon procedure does this, so your recent addition does work).  You can test this by opening a command prompt > 'cd\' > 'attrib -h -s desktop.ini /s' (clear hidden and system attributes on all desktop.ini files).  Browse through explorer and the folders still have their custom icons.  The only side effect I know of is that, with these attributes cleared, the desktop.ini files in the startup directories for the user and AllUsers will be opened in notepad when you boot.  This test can be reversed by typing 'attrib +h +s desktop.ini /s'.

Keith