Missing CD/CDRW Solution

Post by Oh Ge » Sat, 25 May 2002 11:03:14

Earlier today, I posted an epic message bemoaning my disappeared CDRW
drive. I had tried every possible fix and was at the end of my rope. A
few kind folks gave some suggestions, but they didn't help,
unfortunately.

I was reorganizing my Program Menu when I ran across Tweak UI (One of
the PowerToys for XP). I had totally forgotten that I had installed it.
I figured I'd give it a spin.

Lo and behold, under "My Computer", there is an entry entitled "Drives".
I opened it up and there was the solution to my problems. A simple
picture of the missing "F" drive and the box next to it was unchecked. I
checked the box, closed Tweak UI and checked "My Computer". There it
was! I checked "Explorer". There it was!

I rebooted to make sure this wasn't a temporary fix and the drive was
still there!

I've yet to do any actual burning, so I'm not out of the woods yet, but
hey...you gotta have a drive before you can burn anything on it, right?

To all that offered suggestions: Your wise counsel was much appreciated.

--OG--

1. Missing CD & DVD drives Possible Solution

Try uninstalling the drivers of the drives in the [device
manager]. It is better to also remove the drive from the
registry. You can do this by going to [Start][Run...] and
enter "regedit"

Windows should then reinstall the drivers on reboot.

Note this will only work if the device is using a windows
driver. Otherwise ensure that you have a copy of the
driver from the OEM website.

This worked for me but you try this at your own risk!

2. VIDEO CAPTURE

3. My CDRW drive is missing and i can't burn CD's

4. Can you unstall NT 3.51 service pack 2?

5. CD Drive missing / not detected - a solution

6. HELP: TWO NT WORKSTATIONS

7. CD wizard asks for cdrw when cdrw is in drive

8. How to combine mdd with pdd to serial.dll???

9. Both CD files missing Regular and CD-RW missing

10. a CDRW solution

11. cd rom is missing(philips cd d4851 cd-r/rw)

12. CD/CDRW Drive Not Reading CD's

13. CD drive doesn't recognize CDRW in CD Burning Wizard