Two Critical Updates for Windows XP OS won't Install

Two Critical Updates for Windows XP OS won't Install

Post by James D. Fishe » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:57:27

I would appreciate any help that anyone may be able to
give. For the last few weeks, I have been trying to
install the following windows critical updates. I am
running Windows xp professional OS. New P4 computer with
great speed, great memory and all the whistles and bells.

Computer continues to prompt me to download the two
critical updates, but fails each time to install. I get
message that the installation failed and try again. I
have not had any problems downloading and installing All
other critical updates before and after the certain two
that problem updates.

The two updates are:
810833: Security Update (Windows XP)
329170: Security Update (Windows XP)

I have thought to try and "uninstall" the same, but they
do not even appear as ever being installed - so I cant do
that.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
James D. Fisher

Two Critical Updates for Windows XP OS won't Install

Post by Tom Della-Latt » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:04:23

Why do you feel you need those updates?

Tom

> I would appreciate any help that anyone may be able to
> give. For the last few weeks, I have been trying to
> install the following windows critical updates. I am
> running Windows xp professional OS. New P4 computer with
> great speed, great memory and all the whistles and bells.

> Computer continues to prompt me to download the two
> critical updates, but fails each time to install. I get
> message that the installation failed and try again. I
> have not had any problems downloading and installing All
> other critical updates before and after the certain two
> that problem updates.

> The two updates are:
> 810833: Security Update (Windows XP)
> 329170: Security Update (Windows XP)

> I have thought to try and "uninstall" the same, but they
> do not even appear as ever being installed - so I cant do
> that.

> All help would be greatly appreciated.

> Sincerely,
> James D. Fisher

---

Two Critical Updates for Windows XP OS won't Install

Post by Richar » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:45:13

Hi James,

Try downloading from the Catalog and install from your HD.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

Richard

> I would appreciate any help that anyone may be able to
> give. For the last few weeks, I have been trying to
> install the following windows critical updates. I am
> running Windows xp professional OS. New P4 computer with
> great speed, great memory and all the whistles and bells.

> Computer continues to prompt me to download the two
> critical updates, but fails each time to install. I get
> message that the installation failed and try again. I
> have not had any problems downloading and installing All
> other critical updates before and after the certain two
> that problem updates.

> The two updates are:
> 810833: Security Update (Windows XP)
> 329170: Security Update (Windows XP)

> I have thought to try and "uninstall" the same, but they
> do not even appear as ever being installed - so I cant do
> that.

> All help would be greatly appreciated.

> Sincerely,
> James D. Fisher

Two Critical Updates for Windows XP OS won't Install

Post by Jason Tsan » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:27:53

Renaming or deleting the Catroot2 folder may solve the problem.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;326815

Follow the steps 6 to 8 in the Resolution section of above link (do a reboot
first so the computer is "fresh").  Then try to install the update again.

The link above is for SP1, but the Catroot2 problem is now also surfacing in
recommended/critical updates and not only for the SP1 upgrade.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -