autodefrag in xp

Post by Jona » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 23:56:09

In W2K I used to have a scheduled defragmentation of all my fixed drives.
This was possible with a small tool called auto defrag. (Freeware from some
site...) Widely spread I gather.

This tool does not seem to work at all in XP. How can achieve this feature
with XP?

using "defrag c:" at the command prompt only defrags c: and I can't get the
syntax right for configuring multipal defrags at the command prompt. How
would a small .bat be written that could also be scheduled?

/ Jonas

autodefrag in xp

Post by adam » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 00:48:19

 hey there,

 is the file system in ntfs or fat? if its in ntfs the
defrag is not going to do anything for you. you don't need
to do it with ntfs.

adam

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>In W2K I used to have a scheduled defragmentation of all
my fixed drives.
>This was possible with a small tool called auto defrag.
(Freeware from some
>site...) Widely spread I gather.

>This tool does not seem to work at all in XP. How can

achieve this feature
Quote:>with XP?

>using "defrag c:" at the command prompt only defrags c:
and I can't get the
>syntax right for configuring multipal defrags at the
command prompt. How
>would a small .bat be written that could also be
scheduled?

>/ Jonas

>.

autodefrag in xp

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 01:08:50

See my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to Win XP Fixes, Defrag All Hard Disks.  This small VB Script can be run as a Scheduled task and will defrag all drives it finds.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> In W2K I used to have a scheduled defragmentation of all my fixed drives.
> This was possible with a small tool called auto defrag. (Freeware from some
> site...) Widely spread I gather.

> This tool does not seem to work at all in XP. How can achieve this feature
> with XP?

> using "defrag c:" at the command prompt only defrags c: and I can't get the
> syntax right for configuring multipal defrags at the command prompt. How
> would a small .bat be written that could also be scheduled?

> / Jonas

autodefrag in xp

Post by Jona » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 05:37:05

Thanks doug but it doesn't work I'm afraid.
When trying to schedule I get:
"The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
entered."

Problem is I DID enter it and tried it several times. I am SURE I type the
correct password.
/ Jonas

See my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to Win XP Fixes, Defrag All Hard
Disks.  This small VB Script can be run as a Scheduled task and will defrag
all drives it finds.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
The newest resource for Windows XP!!
Windows XP From A-Z
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Quote:> In W2K I used to have a scheduled defragmentation of all my fixed drives.
> This was possible with a small tool called auto defrag. (Freeware from
some
> site...) Widely spread I gather.

> This tool does not seem to work at all in XP. How can achieve this feature
> with XP?

> using "defrag c:" at the command prompt only defrags c: and I can't get
the
> syntax right for configuring multipal defrags at the command prompt. How
> would a small .bat be written that could also be scheduled?

> / Jonas

autodefrag in xp

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 13:40:30

This is not an issue with the script, this is an issue with the user account and passwords.  The account used to "run as" must have a password, it cannot be blank.  Additionally, the account must be Administrator level.

The default format is machine name\Username   and the correct password for that user account.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Associate Expert
ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
--------------------------------
The newest resource for Windows XP!!
Windows XP From A-Z
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

> Thanks doug but it doesn't work I'm afraid.
> When trying to schedule I get:
> "The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was
> entered."

> Problem is I DID enter it and tried it several times. I am SURE I type the
> correct password.
> / Jonas

> See my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to Win XP Fixes, Defrag All Hard
> Disks.  This small VB Script can be run as a Scheduled task and will defrag
> all drives it finds.

> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/9x
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> Associate Expert
> ExpertZone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> --------------------------------
> The newest resource for Windows XP!!
> Windows XP From A-Z
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

> > In W2K I used to have a scheduled defragmentation of all my fixed drives.
> > This was possible with a small tool called auto defrag. (Freeware from
> some
> > site...) Widely spread I gather.

> > This tool does not seem to work at all in XP. How can achieve this feature
> > with XP?

> > using "defrag c:" at the command prompt only defrags c: and I can't get
> the
> > syntax right for configuring multipal defrags at the command prompt. How
> > would a small .bat be written that could also be scheduled?

> > / Jonas

1. Does Windows Media Player 8 (XP) support plug-ins?

Hi,

I saw numerous references to plugins but they all seem to relate to WMP 9.
Windows XP is shipped with Windows Media Player 8 and there is a grayed
option list that is preset to Windows Media Audio in "Copy music" options.
Does it mean other "transforms" can be installed - say MP3 for instance? Or
do such "plug-ins" apply only to WMP 9?

Thanks in advance.

Vince C.

2. New to Broadband

3. No .ins based autoconfig for Windows 2000/XP ??

4. How "Publish" web pages in Lower Case?

5. RCA Lyra and Kazoo Plug Ins for MM with XP

6. access denied, unable to connect

7. XP and RCA Lyra/RCA Kazoo Plug Ins

8. Diagramming package

9. Dell Lat. D600 / Ins. 600m XP reloading question

10. XP and RCA Lyra/RCA Kazoo Plug Ins

11. XP Pro & AD Snap-ins

12. MMC default snap ins for XP Home

13. Sharing data between custom Plug-ins