DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Rodger Ramse » Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:58:26

Problem
Pioneer 110D (16x DVD burner FW 1.39 - latest) will only burn at 8x due to
IDE controller transfer mode of multi-word DMA mode 2 being max speed
setting, according to Device Manager, despite having the burner rated as
UDMA-4 compatible.  Tried using quality blanks approved by the manufacturer.
I suspect it is a hardware/software/os interaction issue.

System
P4 3.2, 2Gb PC 3200 Kingston RAM, Radeon 9600 256Mb (8.221.0.0 driver -
latest)
Award Bios v6.00PG (F10 update - latest) Auto detect drives, DMA/transfer
rate setting for IDE not available, i.e. not required; assume auto set to
UDMA
120Gb SATA Master remapped to IDE 1
160GB SATA Slave remapped to IDE 1
200GB SATA on SiliconImage SATARaid controller (not setup for RAID) driver
updated
All SATA drives connected with SATA cables
WinXP Pro Sp2
Gigabyte MoBo 8IPE1000P2 (drivers updated)
Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage controller (Driver 6.3.0.1005)
Intel Application Accelerator NOT installed
ATAPY.sys 5.1.2600.2180 (have tried various, this is the SP2 standard)
80-wire cable on Burner (Master set, sole drive on IDE 2) have tried 3
cables
Similar 8x limit with two other 16x LG drives (not installed at present).
Also had a similar problem when I had an ATA-100 IDE HDD on IDE 1 (a while
ago).
Realtec AC97 Audio - updated drivers

Software
Zone Alarm Pro 6.1
Norton System Works 2004 (Anti-virus active)
Nero 6.6.0.16
CloneCD
SP 2 had all updates
ASPI layer working properly
Office 2003
Wp 12
Dragon Naturally Speaking 8.1
Winfast PVR for TV2000 Expert video capture card

Action Taken
UDMA-66 enabled in registry for intel chipset
Have removed and reinstalled devices in Device Manager to clear any
settings.
Have enabled P10 mode, rebooted, and re-enabled DMA in Device Manager to
ensure settings (Note: no errors reported and DMA always enabled by system,
i.e. never had a problem with IDE reverting to P10)
Chipset & MoBo drivers updated - no change.  Forced update of atapi.sys to
SP1 version, then to v5.10.2600.2505.  No change, so reinstalled Windows
with SP2 slipstreamead.  Still no change so reinstalled Mobo and Intel
drivers.  Still no change.  Before reinstallation I changed registry
settings to include:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1]

dmaEnabled = 1 (DWORD value)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002]

DELETED

MasterIdDataCheckSum

SlaveIdDataCheckSum

MasterDeviceDetectionTimeout

SlaveDeviceDetectionTimeout

CREATED

ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess = 1 (DWORD value)

Not that there was errors anyway, but thought I would try above, just in
case.  It made no difference.

Comment
The system is generally very stable and the DVDs burned at 8x show no
errors.  When I try to burn them at 12 or 16x the max transfer rate of about
12Mb/sec limits the true speed to 8x burning, although the burn quality is
still OK.  Transfer rates for the SATA drives (obviously through their own
connections) are consistent with UDMA 5/6 speeds, and not an issue.  It's
only IDE 1 & 2 that are speed-limited.  Now perhaps I should be happy to
have a stable system and a burner that produces quality burns at 8x, but I
am really keen to find out why UDMA will not be enabled for the DVD burner.
I think all the relevant Services are operating, although some (that appear
to security risks, unnecessary, or resource hogs) are disabled.  I based the
selection on info from blackviper.com, theeldergeek.com, and MBSA 1.2 & 2.0.

Any suggestions?

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Mikey S » Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:47:15

Re: DMA enabled but no UDMA...

Reboot and access the BIOS.
Adjust the drive's properties for DMA and UDMA.

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Rodger Ramse » Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:20:56

Quote:> Re: DMA enabled but no UDMA...

> Reboot and access the BIOS.
> Adjust the drive's properties for DMA and UDMA.

Thanks for the reply, but the BIOS does not have a DMA/UDMA/P10 etc., option
in setup.  The first thing I checked was the cables, the second was the
BIOS.

In case I have missed sothing, I will go through the BIOS setup, page by
page:
The Standard CMOS Features are set to autodetect the drives.
The Advanced BIOS Features allow for setting boot order & hyperthreading.
Integrated Periferrals allow for on-chip IDE to be enabled/disabled only (no
mode setting).  This page also allows for the remapping of the SATA drives
to the IDE ports.
Power Management features are not relevant, I think.
PnP/PCI configuration is set for Auto PCI IRQ assignment.
PCHealth Status, Frequency/Voltage Control, Language selection, etc., do not
appear relevant.

So what do you think?

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Mikey S » Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:27:08

Hi;
Should have a sub-tab for its properties when you highlight the DVD drive.

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Rodger Ramse » Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:52:07

Quote:> Hi;
> Should have a sub-tab for its properties when you highlight the DVD drive.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I could find no tab or sub menu or
anything that allowed me to change the DMA mode.  I looked in the manual and
could not find anything either.  In fact, I downloaded a PDF version of the
manual and did various word searches to see if there was anything that could
help but to no avail.  Just in case, I changed several BIOS settings for the
channel the DVD drive is on, but they had no effect.

Is it possible that the Windows driver for the IDE controller (although an
Intel device, it uses WinXP drivers) is conflicting with something?

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Glen » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:55:38

Is this the only device on the channel? If its shared try making it the only
device and see if there is any difference.

There is a web site here with good info and a script that might help.
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm
--
Please repost if you find the fault

Glen P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by Rodger Ramse » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:54:25

> Is this the only device on the channel? If its shared try making it the
> only device and see if there is any difference.

> There is a web site here with good info and a script that might help.
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> --
> Please repost if you find the fault

> Glen P
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>> Hi;
>>> Should have a sub-tab for its properties when you highlight the DVD
>>> drive.

>> Perhaps I am missing something, but I could find no tab or sub menu or
>> anything that allowed me to change the DMA mode.  I looked in the manual
>> and could not find anything either.  In fact, I downloaded a PDF version
>> of the manual and did various word searches to see if there was anything
>> that could help but to no avail.  Just in case, I changed several BIOS
>> settings for the channel the DVD drive is on, but they had no effect.

>> Is it possible that the Windows driver for the IDE controller (although
>> an Intel device, it uses WinXP drivers) is conflicting with something?

Glen,

Thanks for the link.  I  may have come across it in my googling to solve the
problem.  BTW, the burner is the only device on the channel.

I think my original message was edited along the way, but the problem is not
that the IDE channel  reverts to P10 mode (usually due to errors) but that I
can only get Multi Word DMA 2 instead of UDMA 2/4.

From what I can gather, the registry is not the problem, and neither is the
device, its firmware or the cables.

I don't have * or Daemon tools installed (I think they mess with
atapi.sys).

I haven't found anything in the BIOS that helps (maybe it's there, but I
can't see it).

So...I'm not sure.

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Rodger Ramse » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:32:55

FIXED PROBLEM - see below

>> Is this the only device on the channel? If its shared try making it the
>> only device and see if there is any difference.

>> There is a web site here with good info and a script that might help.
>> http://www.veryComputer.com/
>> --
>> Please repost if you find the fault

>> Glen P
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>> Perhaps I am missing something, but I could find no tab or sub menu or
>>> anything that allowed me to change the DMA mode.  I looked in the manual
>>> and could not find anything either.  In fact, I downloaded a PDF version
>>> of the manual and did various word searches to see if there was anything
>>> that could help but to no avail.  Just in case, I changed several BIOS
>>> settings for the channel the DVD drive is on, but they had no effect.

>>> Is it possible that the Windows driver for the IDE controller (although
>>> an Intel device, it uses WinXP drivers) is conflicting with something?

> Glen,

> Thanks for the link.  I  may have come across it in my googling to solve
> the problem.  BTW, the burner is the only device on the channel.

> I think my original message was edited along the way, but the problem is
> not that the IDE channel  reverts to P10 mode (usually due to errors) but
> that I can only get Multi Word DMA 2 instead of UDMA 2/4.

> From what I can gather, the registry is not the problem, and neither is
> the device, its firmware or the cables.

> I don't have * or Daemon tools installed (I think they mess with
> atapi.sys).

> I haven't found anything in the BIOS that helps (maybe it's there, but I
> can't see it).

> So...I'm not sure.

My Gigabyte MoBo's BIOS has hidden settings accessed by pressing [ctrl] F1
at the right screen.  I was able to access these (eventually) and set the
DMA mode for IDE 1 & 2 to AUTO.  There was no mention of this in the manual
or on the Gigabyte site.  None of their utilities accessed these functions
either.  The new setting has given me full UDMA 4 access to the DVD burner
and even improved the transfer rate of the SATA drives - perhaps because
they were remapped through the IDE port(?!).

Thanks for your input guys, it motivated me to keep going to find a
solution.

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Mikey S » Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:48:27

Re: DMA disabled but...

OUF!!!

[CTRL]+F1

Makes you wonder why the h*ck Gigabytes makes that an hidden setting doesn't
it!

It's a primordial setting and as such should be directly accessible.

I knew there was a way get it done as I fixed that problem once on a
friend's machine with a "Giga" board.

Just couldn't remember the specifics and the manual was at that time of no
help also.

"All's well that ends well".

DMA enabled but NO UDMA access for DVD burner

Post by Glen » Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:58:22

Thanks for reposting that you fixed the problem, its good to know what the
fault was.
--
Please repost if you find the fault

Glen P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> FIXED PROBLEM - see below

>>> Is this the only device on the channel? If its shared try making it the
>>> only device and see if there is any difference.

>>> There is a web site here with good info and a script that might help.
>>> http://www.veryComputer.com/
>>> --
>>> Please repost if you find the fault

>>> Glen P
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> Glen,

>> Thanks for the link.  I  may have come across it in my googling to solve
>> the problem.  BTW, the burner is the only device on the channel.

>> I think my original message was edited along the way, but the problem is
>> not that the IDE channel  reverts to P10 mode (usually due to errors) but
>> that I can only get Multi Word DMA 2 instead of UDMA 2/4.

>> From what I can gather, the registry is not the problem, and neither is
>> the device, its firmware or the cables.

>> I don't have * or Daemon tools installed (I think they mess with
>> atapi.sys).

>> I haven't found anything in the BIOS that helps (maybe it's there, but I
>> can't see it).

>> So...I'm not sure.

> My Gigabyte MoBo's BIOS has hidden settings accessed by pressing [ctrl] F1
> at the right screen.  I was able to access these (eventually) and set the
> DMA mode for IDE 1 & 2 to AUTO.  There was no mention of this in the
> manual or on the Gigabyte site.  None of their utilities accessed these
> functions either.  The new setting has given me full UDMA 4 access to the
> DVD burner and even improved the transfer rate of the SATA drives -
> perhaps because they were remapped through the IDE port(?!).

> Thanks for your input guys, it motivated me to keep going to find a
> solution.

1. How to enable DMA on burner drive?

I am trying to enable DMA mode on my CD burner - I have accessed the drive
properties thru device manager and disk management and can't find where the
setting is to change to DMA mode anywhere, its not listed.
It is an Iomega CD burner and I am using XP Pro with SP1, anybody with a
suggestion on how to find or change the setting, please?

--
Marvin

2. deleting anything in windows VERY slow!!

3. MY DVD BURNER WILL NOT LET ME ACCESS IT WITH A BLANK DVD HELP

4. websites wont open

5. DVD reader or CD burner should go in favor of DVD burner?

6. 2X cherry slot game

7. DVD Burner switching from DMA to PIO mode.

8. Is Microsoft's ENCARTA 1994 better than GROLIER'S ???

9. DVD Burner on USB - Nero verif. fails - DMA?

10. DMA enable for DVD ROM

11. Can't enable DMA for DVD drive

12. How do you enable / disabled DMA on cd/dvd drives ?

13. enabling DMA for the DVD drive