Resource filtering - will Windows re-use unused resources?

Resource filtering - will Windows re-use unused resources?

Post by Greg » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:53:24

Hi!

I need detailed information on the following situation:
I have a PCI device with six BARs.
For example:
BAR1: 9000
BAR2: 9400
BAR3: 9800
BAR4: 9c00
BAR5: a000
BAR6: a400

I'm performing resource filtering, the result will contain I/O resources
only for BAR1 and BAR2, so I'm throwing out four I/O resources originally
generated for BAR3-BAR6.

Of course all of the six BARs will be still containing addresses 9000...a400
in the PCI board.

I've never seen such a case when Windows reused any of the I/O ranges of my
unused BARs. (which I filtered out... BAR3...BAR6)
For example, I've never seen that Windows assigned 9800 to a SoundBlaster
Live if it was originally assigned to my device and I filtered it out from
my resource list.

Will such a case happen? When? After filling the entire I/O address space
with devices? (this isn't a common case I think..)
I'm doing the same resource filtering on WinXP,2000,98,98SE,ME.

Thanx!
Greg X.

1. New Resource: Add-ins and Resources

We just launched a new resource on Microsoft.com\windowsmedia called
"Add-Ins and Resources" today.  This is where you can find 3rd party apps
and cool stuff that includes skins, 3rd party apps and many more resources:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/coolstuff/default.asp

If you have suggestions for other listings, please post them here and I'll
do my best to get them covered.

Thanks
Sean

--
Sean Alexander
Tech. Product Manager- Windows Media Player

2. Debugging IST

3. Moving XP installation to new hardware

4. Howto: Split mfc resources across multiple resource files?

5. Casio e-125 slideshow?

6. locked resources in resource editor

7. Random Windows Protection Error #13

8. XML Resource Files: Adding bitmaps to the resource files

9. HELP Clever Resource Ids , Resource Compiler

10. resource.h and xxxx.rc resource numers?

11. System Resources and GDI Resources Dropping

12. System Resource Meter (Rsrcmtr.exe) tool that can be used in Windows 98