Incoming VPN connection, works, but can't see shared resources

Incoming VPN connection, works, but can't see shared resources

Post by Geof » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:06:43

Ok - Here is the setup

I have an efficient networks speedstream 5861 router
running NAT to 4 Windows XP professional pc's. These 4
pc's are all part of a workgroup. I have configured one
of the pc's to accept incoming VPN connections, and have
configured the router to forward TCP port 1723 to that
pc's internal ip, as well as GRE. I can connect just fine
to the VPN, but I cannot see any shared resources. What
am I doing wrong???

Incoming VPN connection, works, but can't see shared resources

Post by Bill Sanderso » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:33:57

Try these things:

1) with the current setup--when you connect, right-click the connectoid icon
down by the clock and choose status, then details tab.

Note the Server IP address.

Do start, run \\serverIPaddress <enter>

You should now see the shared assets of the VPN server machine.

Now--what sort of an IP address was that?  Was it what you expected--an
address on the same subnet as the other machines?  Or was it a 169.x.y.z
apipa address?

If the latter, go back to the host machine, right-click Incoming
connections, properties,  go to network tab, properties of TCP/IP.  Change
from automatic via DHCP to giving out a fixed range of IP addresses--say
perhaps 4--on the same subnet as the router and the existing PC's.

If you then get this addressing on the next connection, you should be able
to connect to any of the PC's by IP address.

Quote:> Ok - Here is the setup

> I have an efficient networks speedstream 5861 router
> running NAT to 4 Windows XP professional pc's. These 4
> pc's are all part of a workgroup. I have configured one
> of the pc's to accept incoming VPN connections, and have
> configured the router to forward TCP port 1723 to that
> pc's internal ip, as well as GRE. I can connect just fine
> to the VPN, but I cannot see any shared resources. What
> am I doing wrong???

1. Internet Connection Sharing doesn't work when VPN is used on the shared connection

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) doesn't work when VPN is used on the
shared connection.

Machine WinXP is the ICS host, machine Win98 is the ICS client.  When VPN is
enabled on the shared internet connection on WinXP, Win98 can no longer
connect to the internet.  Is there a way to correct this?

An Microsft knowledge base article mentioned that there is no way around
this, and you have to use VPN on ICS client machine.  But I really need to
use VPN on ICS host machine.

Thanks.

2. Cryptographic Service

3. Incoming connection and fax sharing don't work

4. HELP! AVIs Mess Up on P5

5. internet connection sharing on incoming connection ??

6. looking for a frame grabber card for DOS

7. uninstall Internet Connection Sharing (can't use VPN)

8. PKZIPFIX

9. Incoming Connections WIN2K TO XP Pro (VPN)

10. VPN Incoming Connections Properties

11. Incoming VPN connection to XP Pro

12. Stymied setting up Incoming Connection for VPN access - Help

13. Allowing incoming connections to my computer via vpn...