Password Problems with log in external hard drive

Password Problems with log in external hard drive

Post by Matt Blan » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:22:09

When my old laptop ceased operating, I took out the hard drive and had it put
into a USB enclosure, so I could retrieve the data onto my new computer.

I can open the drive, and files on it, except for the ones in Documents and
Settings for those users who were passworded for log in on the old computer.

How can I access these documents?
--
Matt Bland

Post by Malk » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:44:05

> When my old laptop ceased operating, I took out the hard drive and had
> it put into a USB enclosure, so I could retrieve the data onto my new
> computer.

> I can open the drive, and files on it, except for the ones in
> Documents and Settings for those users who were passworded for log in
> on the old computer.

> How can I access these documents?

You need to take ownership of the documents:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Password Problems with log in external hard drive

Post by Matt Blan » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:47:06

The other problem I have is that the new computer has a partition on the hard
drive.  I have a recovery part, a C and a D.  How can I combine C and D?
--
Matt Bland

Post by Malk » Fri, 29 Jul 2005 02:13:48

> The other problem I have is that the new computer has a partition on
> the hard
> drive.  I have a recovery part, a C and a D.  How can I combine C and
> D?

In order to combine the partitions without destroying data, you will
need third-party partitioning software. Partition Magic is one;
BootITNG is another but is geekier to use.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

1. External Hard Drive Problem Not like the other problems

---
Microsoft admits this is a problem.

If you do a search on Google you'll find this is common to pleanty of people
and there's various solutions and it's possible none of them will work for
you.

What made sense to me is that Windows gets screwed up when the external
drive is activated and doesn't know what drive letter to assign to it so it
gives it none. What I did is only a partial solution as it will be
recognized when turned on from a cold boot only... Use TweakUI and assign
your external drive a letter way down the alphabet. If you have partitions
on it assign them a letter also.

2. Serial ATA

3. Hard Drive cannot Boot - Hard Drive Password Prevents Win XP Access.

4. GainMomentum?

5. XP has a hard time mounting my external hard drive

6. Message Rules

7. o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

8. IPX protocol problem on Windows XP

9. problem on USB external hard drive

10. Internal 2'nd hard drive, and external enclosure problems

11. Problems with external hard drive.

12. Problems with an external hard drive

13. External firewire hard drive problem