Need help NOW error SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A FATAL ERROR

Need help NOW error SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A FATAL ERROR

Post by Lori » Wed, 28 May 2003 14:09:48

I am helping a friend fix his computer, with some
technical experience I have on XP. Ok he has a laptop and
the computer didn't come with any disc's and I am looking
at having to reformat the computer without any original
disc's, I know I can download it from the computer but
there is no internet connection on that computer.

Anyway the error is error SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A
FATAL ERROR, how do I fix this. Is there anyway to fix it
without the disc's and doing a full reformat, that is what
I am thinking that is going to have to be done. This error
occurred the first day that he got the computer also.

Do you also think that maybe I can run a thorough scan
disk on this computer and fix errors and see if maybe that
will also fix the problem and also do some basic
maintenance and see if that will fix the problem. Or
should he just take it back to office depot and see if
they will give him another one, which I doubt.

Thanks, Lori

Need help NOW error SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A FATAL ERROR

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Wed, 28 May 2003 14:16:41

Lori;
Check the manual, there should be a way to restore the computer.
Either he has (or should have) CDs or there is a hidden partition for
that purpose.
Check the invoice also to be sure he got all that he should get.

Considering the computer is a day old, I would return it.
Otherwise restore it now while you have nothing to lose.

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

> I am helping a friend fix his computer, with some
> technical experience I have on XP. Ok he has a laptop and
> the computer didn't come with any disc's and I am looking
> at having to reformat the computer without any original
> disc's, I know I can download it from the computer but
> there is no internet connection on that computer.

> Anyway the error is error SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A
> FATAL ERROR, how do I fix this. Is there anyway to fix it
> without the disc's and doing a full reformat, that is what
> I am thinking that is going to have to be done. This error
> occurred the first day that he got the computer also.

> Do you also think that maybe I can run a thorough scan
> disk on this computer and fix errors and see if maybe that
> will also fix the problem and also do some basic
> maintenance and see if that will fix the problem. Or
> should he just take it back to office depot and see if
> they will give him another one, which I doubt.

> Thanks, Lori

1. "Recovering from Fatal System Error" in MS XP Home

I bought a new computer in May of 2002 with XP Home
installed on it.  In June I was working on it when it
suddenly rebooted, apparently for no reason.  This happened
a few more times before I called the store where I bought
it.  The 'tech' there told me it was over-heating and I
needed another fan in it.  I bought a fan and installed it
with a short success period.  In  mid-July I took it to the
store to have the 'tech' look at it.  After a couple of
days he called and said he had fixed it and it was ready to
go.  I picked it up and took it home (forgetting to ask
what the problem was and how he fixed it).  I found out by
calling back that he had unchecked the box to AUTOMATICALLY
reboot.   It worked fine for a couple of weeks and started
the same thing again only this time I had to reboot it
MANUALLY.  This time I put up with it for a few months
until I finally took it back again.  After a few more days
they called and said it was ready to go again.  I picked it
up and was told they could not reproduce the error.  The
suggestion was to free some room on the disk (a 20 gb disk
that had 8 gb free); remove Office (since that showed the
most errors in the log); remove Netscape (that had some
errors there, too);   or as a last resort, back-up my
system and do a restore from the restore disks.  I did
everything and decided to try the  backup and restore. The
only problem was it would not stay on long enough to do a
backup.  It would always go to a blue screen that said
'recovering from a fatal system error. If this is the first
time.....'.  Finally I COPIED my data files to another
drive and started a restore.  In the middle of the restore,
it went to the BSOD.  Now the drive is effectively dead.  I
put another drive in and did the restore on it.  I got it
going and was printing a screen print when it suddenly
popped the BSOD again.  After doing everything suggested, I
am still having the same problem.  Any suggestions??  The
RAM has been checked by the store and they say it is good.
 There is a new larger CPU fan installed on it.  It has a
brand new hard-drive and only the restore OS on it (no
extra programs installed).

2. reinstallation of xp

3. SYSTEM HAS RECOVERED FROM A FATAL ERROR

4. CD-RW can't play audio CD's properly, if at all

5. Help needed - getting "system recovered from serious error" after every startup.

6. SP1, no Session on Intranet

7. System has recovered from a serious error - what does the error codes mean?

8. How does Netscape start the Dial-Up Connection?

9. error - system has recovered from a serious error

10. Error: Ther system has recovered from a serious error

11. Start up error - "System has recovered from serious error"

12. Error Message: The system has recovered from a serious error ....

13. error - system has recovered from a serious error