Removing programs not listed under Add/Remove.

Removing programs not listed under Add/Remove.

Post by Keit » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:48:54

What is the proper way to delete programs on a XP system when they are not
listed under Add/Remove Programs? I originally had a bad installation of XP
but didn't realize it until after several programs had been installed on
different partitions. I did a new install of XP but the drive letters got
changed in the process and now old programs do not open. I want to
completely remove them (all the bits and pieces, Registry included) and do
new installations.

Removing programs not listed under Add/Remove.

Post by Michael S » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:54:12

Try reinstalling the applications and see if they are then added to
add/remove.  If that resolves it then use add/remove to remove the programs.

I'd stay out of the registry even if you find stray bits up there.  Hard to
tell to what exactly it might be referring.  Add/Remove or a programs
uninstall utility, often listed with it on the start menu or in the
applications folder as something such as "Uninstall.exe" should pretty well
clean things up.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Quote:> What is the proper way to delete programs on a XP system when they are not

Post by Alex Nicho » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:49:41

>What is the proper way to delete programs on a XP system when they are not
>listed under Add/Remove Programs? I originally had a bad installation of XP
>but didn't realize it until after several programs had been installed on
>different partitions. I did a new install of XP but the drive letters got
>changed in the process and now old programs do not open. I want to
>completely remove them (all the bits and pieces, Registry included)

If you did a new install into a new Windows folder, then the various
files that programs put there, and certainly the registry entries, are
not present in it - all you would need to do is delete the programs own
folders.  If you installed over the top, into the same folder, then the
course would be to reinstall the programs, telling the install to put
them in the same folders as before.  If you then don't want one, it
should be in Add/remove programs to uninstall, which will take any
residuals that got overwritten in the process

--
Alex Nichol MVP (Windows - File Systems)