Networking - Network Cable unplugged

Post by Adrian » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:57:49

does anyone know why Win XP sometimes tells me that I've got a
"network cable unplugged" when none are? is that a common problem with XP?

I haven't investigated the problem too much because it hasn't been too much
of a problem yet, but any info would be appreciated, as everything
(internet, file sharing, entire network access from client computer) goes
down when it happens.

sorry for the x-post, but I couldn't find a specific Win XP Networking
newsgroup!

Networking - Network Cable unplugged

Post by Berk S. Daemo » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:59:19

Quote:> does anyone know why Win XP sometimes tells me that I've got a
> "network cable unplugged" when none are? is that a common problem with XP?

> I haven't investigated the problem too much because it hasn't been too
much
> of a problem yet, but any info would be appreciated, as everything
> (internet, file sharing, entire network access from client computer) goes
> down when it happens.

> sorry for the x-post, but I couldn't find a specific Win XP Networking
> newsgroup!

Bad cable, bad transceiver?

Networking - Network Cable unplugged

Post by Kernal3 » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:17:52

when XP cannot see a network from the network card it assumes the "cable" is
not plugged in. So, you could have a faulty cable or a hub. Faulty hardware
seems to cause if the connection is also lost.

Post by bob » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:33:01

Quote:>does anyone know why Win XP sometimes tells me that I've got a
>"network cable unplugged" when none are? is that a common problem with XP?

>I haven't investigated the problem too much because it hasn't been too much
>of a problem yet, but any info would be appreciated, as everything
>(internet, file sharing, entire network access from client computer) goes
>down when it happens.

>sorry for the x-post, but I couldn't find a specific Win XP Networking
>newsgroup!

Once I tried to talk to someone over the phone, and could not figured
out why a plugged in CAT5 cable wouldn't work.  After 20 minutes like
this, it ocurred to me some of those CAT5 tab can be bent or broken
easily, so I ask the guy, plug it in again and MAKE SURE it CLICKS.
What click he asks?  I go, push all the way in until you feel it
clicks!   voila.

Just a little amusing story.

-bobb
----------------------------
bobchen at mindspring dot com
Cisco, Checkpoint Certified.
Network Routing and Security Consultant.
Silicon Valley, USA.

Networking - Network Cable unplugged

Post by Andrew Perkin » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:19:04

Is it a USB modem that it says is disconnected?  I have the same problem and
I lose the connection immediately although I'm not running a network, just a
dsl modem connection.  I go days without it happening then it will happen
repeatedly for maybe an hour.  Wish I could figure it out.
Drew

Quote:> does anyone know why Win XP sometimes tells me that I've got a
> "network cable unplugged" when none are? is that a common problem with XP?

> I haven't investigated the problem too much because it hasn't been too
much
> of a problem yet, but any info would be appreciated, as everything
> (internet, file sharing, entire network access from client computer) goes
> down when it happens.

> sorry for the x-post, but I couldn't find a specific Win XP Networking
> newsgroup!

Networking - Network Cable unplugged

Post by gabriel batistut » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:48:52

i find a lot of USB connectors to be ify at best... They may be a nice
convienant plug but the amount of time (on certain PC's etc) that you have
to muck about with them suggests to me that some of the casings are too weak
or the manufactured tolerances are a bit on the generous side

> Is it a USB modem that it says is disconnected?  I have the same problem
and
> I lose the connection immediately although I'm not running a network, just
> dsl modem connection.  I go days without it happening then it will happen
> repeatedly for maybe an hour.  Wish I could figure it out.
> Drew

> > does anyone know why Win XP sometimes tells me that I've got a
> > "network cable unplugged" when none are? is that a common problem with
XP?

> > I haven't investigated the problem too much because it hasn't been too
> much
> > of a problem yet, but any info would be appreciated, as everything
> > (internet, file sharing, entire network access from client computer)
goes
> > down when it happens.

> > sorry for the x-post, but I couldn't find a specific Win XP Networking
> > newsgroup!

1. Local Network- Network cable unplugged?

I have a basic home network set up with a host computer
connected to the internet using a cable modem, and it has
a wireless adapter, it is connected to the client
computer downstairs which also has a wireless adapter.
The whole system appears to be go, but when i attempt to
connect on the client computer, the local area connect,
says that the network cable is unplugged.  HOw do i fix
it, and where is the network cable?

2. Locking out a printer

3. Network Adapter gives message: A network cable is unplugged

4. .dll files and security for NT4

5. Network cable unplugged Status message on the "Network and Dial-up" folder

6. E-105 AND CABLE CONNECTION

7. Network Cable Unplugged with coax-cables

8. Error when trying to access a cd

9. network cable unplugged

10. Network Cable Unplugged

11. network cable is unplugged

12. network cable unplugged

13. Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!