Java apps

Post by Jaeson Ara » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:51:54

Hi all,

If an app is Java based, would that stop you from installing it on your
Windows based machines?

TIA

Jaeson

Java apps

Post by Douglas Thrif » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:59:23

Hello Jaeson,
    No, it would not stop you at all.  The last Microsoft Java VM is part of
Service Pack 1 and Sun's Java works also.  My Search Engine uses Sun's Java
and was built on Windows XP.
Douglas William Thrift

<http://www.douglasthrift.net/>
Search Engine <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/searchengine/>
Windows XP FAQ <http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html>
(If you have used my FAQ you may wish to take my poll)

Quote:> Hi all,

> If an app is Java based, would that stop you from installing it on your
> Windows based machines?

> TIA

> Jaeson

Java apps

Post by Gregory Phillip » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:59:19

No, but Sun has forced Microsoft to leave Java executing slow on
Windows operating systems.

>Hi all,

>If an app is Java based, would that stop you from installing it on your
>Windows based machines?

>TIA

>Jaeson

---

1. Java app calling Java app through command.com loses env vars

I'm starting to use a product that has one step of its installation/setup that
is a cmd script that calls a Java application that ends up using command.com to
call another Java application.  The last Java application needs to references
environment variables set in the cmd script.

In Windows 2000, this process works fine.  The last Java application sees the
environment variables fine.  In Windows XP, however, the last Java application
seems to have no environment variables (I've only tried several, but I haven't
checked to see if there are any at all).

I wish they had written this process better (as the second Java application has
a relatively easy-to-use API that they could have just called directly from the
first Java application), but they didn't.  I don't expect them to re-architect
this any time soon.

The question I have is, is there something that changed between Win2k and WinXP
in the area of calling other applications through command.com, such that a
downstream called application wouldn't be able to get any environment
variables?

Is there something they're supposed to use instead of "command.com" for this
sort of thing?  I know there's "cmd" and "command", and "cmd" appears to be
much more functional, but I don't know a lot about the differences between
them.

David M. Karr          ; Java/J2EE/XML/Unix/C++

2. software that will ftp site changes automatically

3. WM encoder library for java app dvpt

4. Seeking Foreign Computer Component Distributors or Buyers located outside USA only! We sell Hard Drives, CD-Roms etc.

5. Runtime error with java apps

6. Question !

7. IE6.0 hangs when launching java apps or redirected pages

8. How can I use de middle mouse button (double click) in NT4.0

9. java apps

10. Running Java apps

11. Java App.

12. Java apps in IE6