upgrading to Windows XP: upgrade vs clean install: how to preserve user files

upgrading to Windows XP: upgrade vs clean install: how to preserve user files

Post by Jianlin Chan » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:05:03

For upgrading to XP, I would like to preserve all user files (those in \my
documents) and personal settings if possible, and I don't want to keep any
program files and anything under windows directory.  What should I use:
upgrade or clean install?

I understand upgrade will keep all user files and personal setting, but will
it wipe out everything in 'windows' and 'program files' and system files
under c:\ cleanly?  I understand clean install can wipe out everything in
'windows' and 'program files' and system files under c:\ cleanly, but can it
preserve user files and personal settings?

Thanks.

upgrading to Windows XP: upgrade vs clean install: how to preserve user files

Post by Tony Colgrov » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:15:31

I would suggest using the Files and Settings Transfer tool found on the XP
CD.  It will backup all your "My Documents and personal settings" to a
compressed file.
Do a clean install of XP and then use the FST to transfer these setting back
to your clean install of XP.
You will need someplace to store the transfer file, like burn it to a CD or
save it to another partition.
Works really well.  Thats what I did for my wife's computer.

Quote:> For upgrading to XP, I would like to preserve all user files (those in \my
> documents) and personal settings if possible, and I don't want to keep any
> program files and anything under windows directory.  What should I use:
> upgrade or clean install?

> I understand upgrade will keep all user files and personal setting, but
will
> it wipe out everything in 'windows' and 'program files' and system files
> under c:\ cleanly?  I understand clean install can wipe out everything in
> 'windows' and 'program files' and system files under c:\ cleanly, but can
it
> preserve user files and personal settings?

> Thanks.

upgrading to Windows XP: upgrade vs clean install: how to preserve user files

Post by Jianlin Chan » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:29:28

I lots of files to back up, that's why I would like to avoid backing up
files.  And I only have one partition, otherwise I could save the files in
this partition and do a clean install.

Does the Files and Settings Transfer tool work on Windows Me (the current OS
on my PC)?

Thanks.

> I would suggest using the Files and Settings Transfer tool found on the XP
> CD.  It will backup all your "My Documents and personal settings" to a
> compressed file.
> Do a clean install of XP and then use the FST to transfer these setting
back
> to your clean install of XP.
> You will need someplace to store the transfer file, like burn it to a CD
or
> save it to another partition.
> Works really well.  Thats what I did for my wife's computer.

> > For upgrading to XP, I would like to preserve all user files (those in
\my
> > documents) and personal settings if possible, and I don't want to keep
any
> > program files and anything under windows directory.  What should I use:
> > upgrade or clean install?

> > I understand upgrade will keep all user files and personal setting, but
> will
> > it wipe out everything in 'windows' and 'program files' and system files
> > under c:\ cleanly?  I understand clean install can wipe out everything
in
> > 'windows' and 'program files' and system files under c:\ cleanly, but
can
> it
> > preserve user files and personal settings?

> > Thanks.

upgrading to Windows XP: upgrade vs clean install: how to preserve user files

Post by Kent W. England XP MV » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:30:21

Let's keep this in the .setup_deployment group, OK?

Upgrade will not clean out Windows and Program Files, but a clean install will. A clean install will not preserve all your application settings for things like Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

I recommend you use the file and settings transfer wizard on your current install, but also have a look at www.tomsterdam.com for advice on how to backup and transfer your Outlook Express folders and settings. FAST doesn't always do the right thing with Outlook Express if you have a complicated setup, but tomsterdam has a clean procedure that will assure you that everything will transfer from the registry and from your folders.

Then do a clean install and restore your files and settings with FAST. It is a very good idea to do a separate backup of your My Documents and other such files just in case anything goes wrong with FAST. The best thing about FAST is preserving your registry settings.

FAST does not preserve your application installs, but that's OK since you don't have to reinstall them if you don't want to. If you ever do, your application settings will be preserved in your registry hive.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking

> For upgrading to XP, I would like to preserve all user files (those in \my
> documents) and personal settings if possible, and I don't want to keep any
> program files and anything under windows directory.  What should I use:
> upgrade or clean install?

> I understand upgrade will keep all user files and personal setting, but will
> it wipe out everything in 'windows' and 'program files' and system files
> under c:\ cleanly?  I understand clean install can wipe out everything in
> 'windows' and 'program files' and system files under c:\ cleanly, but can it
> preserve user files and personal settings?

> Thanks.

1. Window XP Upgrade vs Clean Install

I have a Win 98 system that I want to upgrade to Win XP,
but I don't want to actually "upgrade", I want to start
from scratch and install a clean system.  Since I qualify
for the upgrade with an existing win 98 system,  can I
puchase the upgrade package and do a "clean" install,
including formatting the HD, etc. and have no crap left
over from the old system.  Or, do I have to purchase the
complete XP pacakge for another $100.00?

Thanks, Jeff Hibbs

2. Network Neighborhood Icon gone

3. Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade vs Windows XP Professional Upgrade

4. Windows 98se registry question, please help

5. XP: clean install vs upgrade

6. lettre

7. XP Pro: Upgrade vs. Clean Install

8. CSV-file Converting

9. Upgrade VS Clean Install

10. Win2k stability? Upgrade vs. Clean Install?

11. Upgrade NT to 2000 Server Vs. Clean Install

12. Clean Install Using Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade?

13. Clean install of Windows XP upgrade edition