XP crash during SP1 install

Post by mcal » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 04:08:50

My Dell machine froze during the SP1 install, leaving a
Fatal System error.  Used reinstallation CD to repair the
XP install (almost).  Still have some issues, the worst of
which seems to be virtual memory size.  Continue to get
warning messages about virtual memory file size too small,
or not present.  Attempted multiple times to set the page
size to minimum 192MB and maximum 384MB.  The drive label
on the system menu shows these settings, but the system
still reports 0MB paging size.  I think is causing most of
the other problems still bserved.  Dell support says all I
can do now is reformat and reinstall the OS.  Any other
advice before I do this.  I really hate to do it, because
prior to this incident, the system had been very stable.

XP crash during SP1 install

Post by Howi » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:13:39

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>My Dell machine froze during the SP1 install, leaving a
>Fatal System error.  Used reinstallation CD to repair
the
>XP install (almost).  Still have some issues, the worst
of
>which seems to be virtual memory size.  Continue to get
>warning messages about virtual memory file size too
small,
>or not present.  Attempted multiple times to set the
page
>size to minimum 192MB and maximum 384MB.  The drive
label
>on the system menu shows these settings, but the system
>still reports 0MB paging size.  I think is causing most
of
>the other problems still bserved.  Dell support says all
>can do now is reformat and reinstall the OS.  Any other
>advice before I do this.  I really hate to do it,
because
>prior to this incident, the system had been very
stable.
>.
>Had identical problem.  There was no fix.  Forced to

reinstall XP which amounts to reformatting drive and thus
losing all files not backed up.  Advice:  if you're
forced to re-install, download the service pack
immediately after XP has finished installation.  Whatever
I had on my system that caused the crash, did not cause
it to happen again, perhaps due to the fact that what was
now on the system was "bare-bones".  Good luck.