Weird Problem - XP rolling back on re-boot

Weird Problem - XP rolling back on re-boot

Post by Graham Shevli » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:21:26

        I have something weird happening to my PC - when I re-boot XP,
I find that some of my installed software components have had their
configurations reset to a prior version. Examples:

1. Outlook 2000 - I changed an email account POP3 server name, but it
reverts to the prior name, forcing me to re-update it
2. ZoneAlarm forgets which programs are authorised to access the
Internet, forcing me to answer loads of pop up confirm dialog boxes
3. WinMX thinks it has never been configured, and starts asking for my
user name, servers etc.

The latest event (taking this beyond a minor irritation) is that I
installed QuickBooks Pro. When I rebooted, and tried to start the
program, it fails. Examination of the error logs for the software
shows that it is failing because it cannot find the Quickbooks DLLs.
However, these DLLs are present where the software expects to find
them...
This is getting rather silly. Does anybody have any ideas what might
be wrong?

Weird Problem - XP rolling back on re-boot

Post by Art Sheppar » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:00:00

I have been having the same problem.  It seems that "EXPLORER.EXE" the
System Program, not "Windows Explorer", is experiencing shutdown
problems.  All my Desktop Folders return to the default size and location,
and some of the program settings revert to prior settings. I often get a
message box (stating something to the effect of)  "Exloprer.exe is not
responding Press End Now you will loose Un-saved information" with a
progress bar and two Command Bars "End Now" and "Cancel." If I wait until
the progress bar ends its progress and press "Cancel" I stand a fighting
chance of saving my current settings.  As a guess, I think that
Explorer.exe is loosing pointers to the Current System Settings, and
either does a reset or the Boot Process does the reset.  It is a pain!

Is any one else experiencing similar problems?
/art

>         I have something weird happening to my PC - when I re-boot XP,
> I find that some of my installed software components have had their
> configurations reset to a prior version. Examples:

> 1. Outlook 2000 - I changed an email account POP3 server name, but it
> reverts to the prior name, forcing me to re-update it
> 2. ZoneAlarm forgets which programs are authorised to access the
> Internet, forcing me to answer loads of pop up confirm dialog boxes
> 3. WinMX thinks it has never been configured, and starts asking for my
> user name, servers etc.

> The latest event (taking this beyond a minor irritation) is that I
> installed QuickBooks Pro. When I rebooted, and tried to start the
> program, it fails. Examination of the error logs for the software
> shows that it is failing because it cannot find the Quickbooks DLLs.
> However, these DLLs are present where the software expects to find
> them...
> This is getting rather silly. Does anybody have any ideas what might
> be wrong?

1. XP will not boot after roll - back of drivers

The installation of a new sound card on my comp was
unsucessfull and the drivers in loaded messed up my system
(Soundblaster audigy - gamer).  I tried the roll-back
feature on xp to get to a previous setting.  Now my
computer will not boot up. Everytime, i get a blue screen
saying that windows was shut down due to error. At this
point i just want to reformat my disk and start over, but
i am unable to due so (i cant get to command prompt).  Any
suggestions on how i can format my hard drive without
being able to get into windows or command prompt?
Thanks

2. Network adepter instalation problem - The name is already in use as a service name or service display name

3. XP Theme rolls back to default at each boot

4. Multicasting and ISP

5. Advanced Script Indexer problem after rolling back from WM9 to WM7

6. Advice on performing user login from NT application

7. Office XP installation rolls back

8. File delete impossible

9. XP rolling back instalations

10. Rolling back XP to original state

11. XP pro roll back feature ?

12. Does XP roll itself back?

13. Should I Roll Back to Pre-Installed XP updates!