Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

Post by Rich Billingto » Sun, 18 May 2003 03:48:12

Is there a program I can get that will stop all the pop-
ups and the new messanger pop-ups???

Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Sun, 18 May 2003 04:03:22

Rich;
For Messenger Service ads:
You need to install or enable a firewall:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904&
Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve
the real problem.
The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
computer.
Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
The firewall controls the traffic.

This will not work if you have AOL.
AOL is not compatible with Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
(ICF)
If you have AOL, you should contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party
firewall.

Disable Messenger Service:
Start/Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services.
Go down to "Messenger".
Right click "Messenger" and select Properties.
Then under Start-up select DISABLE
Click OK and follow prompts

Check this link:
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Or
http://spybot.eon.net.au/

For internet pop-ups, try one of these:
http://www.panicware.com/
http://www.bysoft.se/sureshot/stopthepop/index.html
http://www.popupbuster.com/PopUpBuster/
http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/
http://www.endpopups.com/
http://www.adshield.org/

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

Quote:> Is there a program I can get that will stop all the pop-
> ups and the new messanger pop-ups???

Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

Post by Alvin A Brow » Sun, 18 May 2003 04:23:13

Hello

Few programs out there which you can try like

http://www.pennswoods.net/popups.html
http://www.popupstopper.com/popupstopper.html
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Alvin

> Is there a program I can get that will stop all the pop-
> ups and the new messanger pop-ups???

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. Can't open HelpCenter

3. WIN2K 56K/V.90 MODEM

4. The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

5. Printer thinks the document is 7MB when it is less than 1MB

6. Messanger Service Pop ups

7. Wndows ME Phone Dialler

8. MSN messanger pop ups causing my games to crash/lockup

9. Stopping pop-ups in Windows Media Player

10. MP7 radio question (re pop-ups)

11. Media Payer pop-ups

12. popups, pop-ups, sub windows, sub-windows are not working IE6 SP1