Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

Post by alle » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:50:23

You might check this site out for information about removing fonts.
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/answerstips/story/0,24330,3329862,0...

AW

> Friends, I see I have over 400 fonts on my system. Surely, I don't need
them
> all, and I presume that loading them all for the programs like Word that
> list them all must take time and memory and slow my system.

> How does one know what one can delete ? What's the best way to handle
fonts?

> --
> Bob Boudewyns

Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

Post by Bob Boudewyn » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:44:01

Friends, I see I have over 400 fonts on my system. Surely, I don't need them
all, and I presume that loading them all for the programs like Word that
list them all must take time and memory and slow my system.

How does one know what one can delete ? What's the best way to handle fonts?

--
Bob Boudewyns

Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

Post by Richard Urba » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:34:36

Yeah!  For some!!!!   (-:

> >How does one know what one can delete ? What's the best way to handle
fonts?

> Go into the control panel (Classic view) and select Fonts.  It's intuitive
from
> there on.

> BF, Prez FOA
> --
> Somedays you're the dog, somedays you're the hydrant
> www.geocities.com/barneyfife_foa

Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

Post by Christophe » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:36:05

It's getting tougher and tougher to know which fonts aren't necessary.  Many programs need specific fonts, and without those fonts the programs either won't run, or will run with crippled functions.  The first thing to do is look at your Windows Display Settings Appearance tab, Advanced button, and check all of the "items" in the drop down menu that use fonts, and make sure to note which fonts Windows is using.  Then at least you'll be sure that the fonts you're deleting probably aren't needed by Windows itself.  To be on the safe side, using Windows Explorer create a new folder for storing copies of the fonts that you're deleting.  Before deleting a font in the Fonts window, right click it, select copy, and using Windows Explorer paste into the folder that you created.  That way if you need to get the font back:  While in the Fonts window, click the File menu, then click Install new font, and direct the path of the resulting dialog box to where you copied the fonts that you deleted.

Christopher

> Yeah!  For some!!!!   (-:

> > >How does one know what one can delete ? What's the best way to handle
> fonts?

> > Go into the control panel (Classic view) and select Fonts.  It's intuitive
> from
> > there on.

> > BF, Prez FOA
> > --
> > Somedays you're the dog, somedays you're the hydrant
> > www.geocities.com/barneyfife_foa

---

Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

Post by Aive » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:20:29

On my Win98, I used the Font Thing to organize my fonts.  I have not tried
to install it on XP, yet.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~scef/tft.html
Freebie

Aivee

> Friends, I see I have over 400 fonts on my system. Surely, I don't need
them
> all, and I presume that loading them all for the programs like Word that
> list them all must take time and memory and slow my system.

> How does one know what one can delete ? What's the best way to handle
fonts?

> --
> Bob Boudewyns

Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

Post by Robert J. Bake » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:17:44

Click on each font and it will preview it for you, delete the ones you
don't want.  If they are needed by windows they pop back in.  I delete
all the italic, bold, bold italic and I have never had any problems. It
takes time but you save a lot of disk space. You can save any to disk if
you think you might want them later.

Fonts, Fonts, Fonts!

The Font Thing works perfectly in XP on my system, if this helps.