No 'Advanced' option in 'File Types' dialog box

No 'Advanced' option in 'File Types' dialog box

Post by Bandi » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:23:45

Hi,

I have a problem with an application launching multiple instances for files,
I know how to fix it in W2K, W9X etc (add "\DDE %1" on 'Open' ) trouble is
when I open Folder Options - File Types - JPG - Details for JPG extension I
only have a 'Change' or 'Restore' button.

Restore puts it back to the Fax and Image viewer,  Change simply privide a
list of "Recommended Programs" and "Other Programs" - and you just select
the one of your choice, I cannot see any way to get into the inner workings.

I am logging on as a member of the Administrator group, running XP Pro with
all the recommended updates.

2 questions,
1a) Where is my advanced button, 1b) How do I get it back, 1c) Why did it go
away?

2a) Is there an alternative method to get the same solution ie Registry
Editing 2b) What is it?

Ok I know that's 5 questions really..... :-)

Any useful suggestions gratfully received.

Mark

Post by Bandi » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 02:55:28

>> I have a problem with an application launching multiple instances for
files,
>> I know how to fix it in W2K, W9X etc (add "\DDE %1" on 'Open' ) trouble
is
>> when I open Folder Options - File Types - JPG - Details for JPG extension
>> only have a 'Change' or 'Restore' button.

> Having Restored, set p the new association by r-clicking a file of the
> type, taking Open With.  Do *not* pick the app from the pane, but go to
> 'Choose Program' and in that browse to your program of choice and check
> the 'always use' box.  This ought to give you an association that *does*
> have an Advanced button

Worked a treat!!!

Thanks