Turning off the zip folders "feature"

Post by Amit » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:03:16

Hi Group,
The zip folders stupid feature is driving me nuts. I *don't* want windows to
show my zip files as folders. It takes an amazing amount of time to open a
folder that has many zip files. I found a solution about un-registering the
zipfldr.dll file but that's only a temporary fix - its back up after some
time (without even restarting). I renamed the file, and immediately saw
another one appear.. i opened the file and typed in mumbo-jumbo to corrupt
it, and I saw it getting fixed. Hell, I even deleted the file, but Windows
just replaced it. I don't know if this was meant to be a "smart" os but this
is extremely annoying. Why does MS want to force people to use the feature,
they could've simply given an option somewhere..grrr
Thanks for letting me vent and any help is greatly appreciated..
~amit

Post by Malk » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 02:31:43

> Hi Group,
> The zip folders stupid feature is driving me nuts. I *don't* want
> windows to show my zip files as folders. It takes an amazing amount of
> time to open a folder that has many zip files. I found a solution
> about un-registering the zipfldr.dll file but that's only a temporary
> fix - its back up after some time (without even restarting). I renamed
> the file, and immediately saw another one appear.. i opened the file
> and typed in mumbo-jumbo to corrupt it, and I saw it getting fixed.
> Hell, I even deleted the file, but Windows just replaced it. I don't
> know if this was meant to be a "smart" os but this is extremely
> annoying. Why does MS want to force people to use the feature, they
> could've simply given an option somewhere..grrr Thanks for letting me
> vent and any help is greatly appreciated.. ~amit

Just install a "regular" unzipper such as WinZip or UltimateZip (a free
WinZip clone) or the like and associate .zip files with it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Turning off the zip folders "feature"

Post by T.C. » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 05:53:13

As previously posted:

To disable ZIP files being shown as folders:

Click Start/Run, enter the string below, and click OK:

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

You should receive a dialog that says "DllUnregisterServer in zipfldr.dll succeeded."

To restore the default behavior, simply do the same with this string:

regsvr32 zipfldr.dll

Again, you should receive an appropriate dialog.
--
T.C.
Pay it forward...

Delete [REMOVE] from email address to respond by email

> Hi Group,
> The zip folders stupid feature is driving me nuts. I *don't* want windows to
> show my zip files as folders. It takes an amazing amount of time to open a
> folder that has many zip files. I found a solution about un-registering the
> zipfldr.dll file but that's only a temporary fix - its back up after some
> time (without even restarting). I renamed the file, and immediately saw
> another one appear.. i opened the file and typed in mumbo-jumbo to corrupt
> it, and I saw it getting fixed. Hell, I even deleted the file, but Windows
> just replaced it. I don't know if this was meant to be a "smart" os but this
> is extremely annoying. Why does MS want to force people to use the feature,
> they could've simply given an option somewhere..grrr
> Thanks for letting me vent and any help is greatly appreciated..
> ~amit

---

1. How do I turn OFF the MSN "auto search" feature in IE 6.0

How do I disable probably one of the most WORTHLESS features that I have run
across in a long time.  I type in a Looong URL but mistype ONE character.
The "wonderful" "auto-search" feature kicks in, informs me that the URL
could not be found and then "allows" me to type the WHOLE URL back in again!
Huh?????

How do I disable this "feature?"

TIA,

Larry Woods

2. Symbols

3. How do you turn off Microsoft's "Send Error Report" feature?

4. Making Windows XP look like Windows 98

5. Win XP "turn off" produces "restart" instead, APM is set on.

6. Reinstall ?

7. "Turn off" vs "Hibernate"

8. password

9. "Turn Off" vs "Hibernate"

10. "Turn Off" and "Restart" functions lost

11. XP "Turn Off" results in "Reboot"

12. "Turn off" vs "Hibernate"

13. Windows XP "Restarts" on "Turn OFF Computer"