Icons near clock

Post by Auguste Schwa » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:31:40

Hi.......
I like to have important icons (Norton, Gator, etc) show up on the right
side of the taskbar. I've played with msconfig and the start menu but get
nowhere. What should I do??? and I assume when done I should lock the
taskbar. Thanks.

Augie
All outgoing emails are checked for viruses

Icons near clock

Post by WG » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:46:44

Auguste,

If those programs show up on the startup tab in msconfig, then you should
you put a check mark in the box, then reboot.

Hope this helps.

Wyman

Quote:> Hi.......
> I like to have important icons (Norton, Gator, etc) show up on the right
> side of the taskbar. I've played with msconfig and the start menu but get
> nowhere. What should I do??? and I assume when done I should lock the
> taskbar. Thanks.

> Augie
> All outgoing emails are checked for viruses

Icons near clock

Post by Johan Appelgr » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:36:15

Are you talking about the systray where running applications can have
icons? Or the quickstart bar?

Johan

>Hi.......
>I like to have important icons (Norton, Gator, etc) show up on the right
>side of the taskbar. I've played with msconfig and the start menu but get
>nowhere. What should I do??? and I assume when done I should lock the
>taskbar. Thanks.

>Augie
>All outgoing emails are checked for viruses

Icons near clock

Post by Terr » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:46:57

Quote:> Hi.......
> I like to have important icons (Norton, Gator, etc) show up on the right
> side of the taskbar. I've played with msconfig and the start menu but get
> nowhere. What should I do??? and I assume when done I should lock the
> taskbar. Thanks.

the way I read this is you have applications loaded that should have icons
showing in the Notification area (systray by Clock), but are not showing up
or missing

if the answer is yes, try this
go start > log off > log off
then log back on

if the icon/s show up it's a known problem with No Fix as yet
the workarounds are
1) log off/on after each reboot
or
2) kill/restart explorer.exe from task manager after each reboot
or
3) disable the ssdp & upnp services once and be done with it (my favorite)
this site has a utility to toggle these services for you
http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

this is what they relate to, I don't know why they would prevent the icons
from loading
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q323713

XP SP1 does not Fix this problem, the only thing they added was the ability
to Uninstall UPnP from the add/remove windows components

if you want to Clear past items, this KB has the how-to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q283084
though they do repopulate quickly

post back with results

hth
Terra

1. Messenger icon near clock

Greetings,

Try adding this registry key:
Just open the registry (Click start, then Run, enter regedit.exe and click OK) and go to the
key (looks like a folder), HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express.  Click the
Edit menu, and select New, then DWORD.  Name the new DWORD 'Hide Messenger' (no quotes) and
then double click on it and enter '2' as the value (without quotes). Then click OK, exit out
of the registry editor and load Outlook Express.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

2. Data Communication with mobile phone

3. icons in my taskbar near the clock

4. Modal Window

5. Can i write a program near the clock/Speaker on pocket PC 2002??

6. ssl dummy certificate?

7. Win 95 Taskbar (near clock)

8. Taskbar icons of programs that are running (small icons by the clock)

9. poping a menu near the tray-icon??

10. Reference clock slower then Windows clock?!