XP Home edition - won't boot - missing file - Use setup to repair

XP Home edition - won't boot - missing file - Use setup to repair

Post by Sarah McClea » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 21:49:12

Hi
I get a message when booting my PC:
Windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Reslect 'r' at the first screen to start repair

I then put in the CD-ROM - select r and it gets me to a
screen to choose the following
1: C:\WINDOWS
I select 1 and it brings me to DOS prompt C:\WINDOWS

The file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is there - what
do I do next ?
How do I get the system to start up ? as it always seems
to go back to the screen at the top of this message -
Do I need to completely re-install or can I recover the
SYSTEM file for windows to read at boot-up
Help

XP Home edition - won't boot - missing file - Use setup to repair

Post by Jim Mackli » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:04:16

at the command window (looks like DOS, but isn't)  sfc /scannow

| Hi
| I get a message when booting my PC:
| Windows could not start because the following file is
| missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
| You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
| Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
| Reslect 'r' at the first screen to start repair
|
| I then put in the CD-ROM - select r and it gets me to a
| screen to choose the following
| 1: C:\WINDOWS
| I select 1 and it brings me to DOS prompt C:\WINDOWS
|

| The file \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is there - what
| do I do next ?
| How do I get the system to start up ? as it always seems
| to go back to the screen at the top of this message -
| Do I need to completely re-install or can I recover the
| SYSTEM file for windows to read at boot-up
| Help

XP Home edition - won't boot - missing file - Use setup to repair

Post by Will » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 02:34:11

Can you boot into safe mode ? or Last known good configuration?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Quote:> Hi