"Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu

"Run"," Search" and" Help and Support" on the Start Menu

Post by Ashley Brandwo » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:13:22

This is advice, rather than a request for information ...

When playing around with Windows XP Tweaking software, such as

MicroSoft PowerToys "TweakUI for XP"
JerMar "TweakiFor Power Users" version 4
TweakXP Pro 2.0

or even the properties of the Start menu, it is possible to disable
the run, search and help icons from the Start menu ... Some of them
disable the button, whilst others disable the functionality ...

The problem comes when you switch off the functionality with one
Tweaking program, and try to use another to switch it back on. (Bad
idea on reflection :-) ...

Anyway, what I found was out of the four methods mentioned above,
using "Tweaki...For Power Users" (available from
http://www.jermar.com) was able to re-enable the icons irrelevent of
what program was used to disable them ...

Using "Tweaki For Power Users" (available from:
http://www.jermar.com") go to Security and on the Interface page,
scroll to the bottom, and check the boxes next to: "Remove Help
option", "Remove 'Run' command", and "Remove 'Search' command" click
on Done reboot then go back into "TweakiFor Power Users" and
uncheck these boxes again once you have applied the changes, reboot
again and they should work again

(well, they did for me anyway :-)

1. "Run"," Search" and" Help and Suport" (Start Menu)

I have 2 boxes with XP, a P3 and a P4 - I upgraded the P3 to XP and the P4
came with it installed.  Both boxes have all the critical and XP updates
installed - here's the problem - on the P3 in the start menu, all the three
mentioned tasks will run fine.  On the P4, none of them will.  I can go
elsewhere to do my searches and I know how to bring a command prompt up, but
why will one work and one will not???  Also, when I right click the start
button on the P3 I get an option that says "Open Command Window Here" - I do
not have this on the P4.  Thanks for any help.

2. Set program access and Defaults -SP1

3. Start menu "Run" and "Search" commands

4. OEM Distributors

5. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

6. Terminal Services

7. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"

8. status bar in explorer

9. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

10. I want to change the "Search" "thing" in my start menu.

11. CE .NET: Removing "Run..." and "Documents" entries from start menu

12. "Search" function in "Help and Support" Hangs

13. wmp copy to cd """ error """