Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

Post by CR » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 06:20:49

I would like to use IconWorkshop (axialis.com) as my default IconEditor. But when I double-click on an icon, the defaul Win Pic and Fax Viewer opens. If I use Tools | Folder Options | File Types and click on ICO I can see Icon Workshop as the default but the Viewer still has precedence.
How do I make IW open and edit yet not have the actual icons lose their ability to show what the icon looks like in Win Explorer. (I don't want to change all ICO files to show a program icon but show their contents).
TIA

--
To reply, replace au with za

Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

Post by Phil P » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:22:42

Hi,
When you double-click on an icon and the default Win Pic and Fax Viewer
opens, click on the button at the bottom, the one next to last, next to the
HELP button, the one that says CLOSES THIS PROGRAM AND OPENS THE IMAGE FOR
EDITING, or click CTRL+E. That will close the Pic Viewer and open
IconsWorkshop (if that is the associated program).
Hope this helps.

I would like to use IconWorkshop (axialis.com) as my default IconEditor. But
when I double-click on an icon, the defaul Win Pic and Fax Viewer opens. If
I use Tools | Folder Options | File Types and click on ICO I can see Icon
Workshop as the default but the Viewer still has precedence.
How do I make IW open and edit yet not have the actual icons lose their
ability to show what the icon looks like in Win Explorer. (I don't want to
change all ICO files to show a program icon but show their contents).
TIA

--
To reply, replace au with za

Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

Post by CR » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:50:14

Phil P. posted some thoughts saying:

Quote:> Hi,
> When you double-click on an icon and the default Win Pic and Fax
> Viewer opens, click on the button at the bottom, the one next to
> last, next to the HELP button, the one that says CLOSES THIS PROGRAM
> AND OPENS THE IMAGE FOR EDITING, or click CTRL+E. That will close the
> Pic Viewer and open IconsWorkshop (if that is the associated program).
> Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. When I do that, I get a dialog box saying, "Move Item - Select the place where you want to move [icon name], then click the Move button. I click on Cancel then get a dialog box saying, "Copy Item - Select the place where you want to copy [icon name], then click the Copy button. After I click cancel again, Icon Workshop opens up.
Surely there is a workaround to have Icon Workshop do it directly.
I think the Move/Copy dialog comes up because I have the following RegEdit entry which allows Copy/Move to Folder...

--
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMe

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMe
--
Hope someone has more ideas...!

Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

Post by Phil P » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 05:35:11

Have you tried opening IconWorkshop, clicking on EDIT. Clicking on
PREFERENCES. Selecting MEDIA TYPES and checking to see if the media types
you want associated like .ico, etc, are still associated. It could be that
the association has been changed by another program.