Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

Post by Roland Mos » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:12:29

I've a problem I've been butting my head against for a
few months, and I've yet to solve it.  My problem is that
I need to disable ICF so I can use ZoneAlarm in it's
place.  Yet it seems the once my two-computer peer-to-
peer LAN (the ICS host is my Win XP Pro box, the ICS
client is running Windows 98 SE) is set up via the
Network Setup Wizard, I cannot change or even access the
ICF component for my Dial-Up Networking connection.  In
fact, I never see any prompt asking if I actually WANT
ICF to be enabled.

I suspect it is more the way the client is set up, rather
than Win XP Pro, but my ISP, which is MSN, states that
its client does NOT support networking.  In fact, they
have suggested that I take the matter it Microsoft, as if
the problem is OS-based, and not client-based.

If it helps at all, the name of the connectoid in
question is MSN Connection Manager - I sure have not
tried renaming it, even though I HAVE tried uninstalling
and reinstalling it numerous times.

The MSN client itself is the one that ships with Win XP,
and I can access the 'Net on the second machine.  The
only reason I desire to use ZoneAlarm instead of the ICF
component is that then I need to be able to selectively
open ports to allow full use of my IRC client; as it is
right now, I can chat and recieve files, but I can't send
files, and the server I connect to cannot get a IDENTD
response from my machine.

Post by Steve Winogra » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 18:01:35

>I've a problem I've been butting my head against for a
>few months, and I've yet to solve it.  My problem is that
>I need to disable ICF so I can use ZoneAlarm in it's
>place.  Yet it seems the once my two-computer peer-to-
>peer LAN (the ICS host is my Win XP Pro box, the ICS
>client is running Windows 98 SE) is set up via the
>Network Setup Wizard, I cannot change or even access the
>ICF component for my Dial-Up Networking connection.  In
>fact, I never see any prompt asking if I actually WANT
>ICF to be enabled.

>I suspect it is more the way the client is set up, rather
>than Win XP Pro, but my ISP, which is MSN, states that
>its client does NOT support networking.  In fact, they
>have suggested that I take the matter it Microsoft, as if
>the problem is OS-based, and not client-based.

>If it helps at all, the name of the connectoid in
>question is MSN Connection Manager - I sure have not
>tried renaming it, even though I HAVE tried uninstalling
>and reinstalling it numerous times.

>The MSN client itself is the one that ships with Win XP,
>and I can access the 'Net on the second machine.  The
>only reason I desire to use ZoneAlarm instead of the ICF
>component is that then I need to be able to selectively
>open ports to allow full use of my IRC client; as it is
>right now, I can chat and recieve files, but I can't send
>files, and the server I connect to cannot get a IDENTD
>response from my machine.

>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, the free version of ZoneAlarm is
incompatible with ICS.  You can run it on a client computer, but not
on a host computer.  ZoneAlarm Pro works on an ICS host.

ICS automatically disabled ICF on the local area network connection,
but it shouldn't have any effect on a dial-up connection.

My XP computer with MSN installed has a connection called "MSN
Explorer" under "Connection Manager". I can enable/disable the
firewall by right-clicking the connection and clicking Properties.  It
also has an Internet Connection Sharing option.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not answer questions addressed
directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;MVPINTRO

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Windows XP Professional File Sharing

Windows XP Network Troubleshooting
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot

Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

Post by Roland Mos » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:24:11

Quote:>My XP computer with MSN installed has a connection
called "MSN
>Explorer" under "Connection Manager". I can
enable/disable the
>firewall by right-clicking the connection and clicking
Properties.  It
>also has an Internet Connection Sharing option.
>--
>Best Wishes,
>Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

I saw this, but my problem is that I do not, indeed,
cannot, access the properties of either of these items.
As I've said, I've tried uninstalling, then reinstalling
MSN, but to no avail.  I've even "tore down" my network,
changing the XP workgroup back to "WORKGROUP", then back
to the name I want, then running the Network Connection
Wizard again, to no avail.  Does this indicate I've a bad
registry entry?  If so, how do I fix it?  If not, then
what else can I try?

Quote:

>Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news
group
>for everyone to see.  I will not answer questions
addressed
>directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-
us;MVPINTRO

>Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

>Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

>Windows XP Professional File Sharing