windows xp hangs randomly without an error message

windows xp hangs randomly without an error message

Post by sentin » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:19:04

Hey there.

Came across a weird problem with my windows xp pro.
started two days ago. i was playing "pgroject eden" when suddenly
after pressing the fire action in the game, the sound became
distorted. i exited the game, tried again with the same results (only
in game!). rebooted the computer... same results.

later when i tried to play something else, the computer just froze. no
error message, no nothing. had to reboot.
then i noticed that the computer hangs on random ocations. i can be on
the internet, i can play a game. hell, i can even leave the computer
on and after a few minutes it freezes on his on...

tried to reinstall windows, replace the soundblaster and graphic
card's drivers, nothing seems to help.

guess i'll be forced to format.
any help would gladly be accepted.

some tech info:
AMD 1200 MHZ
384 MB RAM
30 MB HD
WINDOWS XP PRO EDITION
GEFORCE 32 GTS
SOUND BLASTER LIVE!

thx!!

windows xp hangs randomly without an error message

Post by Sean Ronneber » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:22:59

Many possibilities:
1) Pop off the side panel and see if the processor is over-heating. If the
heatsink on the processor is hot enough to where you cannot keep your finger
on it, it is not functioning fully/correctly and you should replace it/have
it replaced.
2) Bad system component (memory, CPU, motherboard, video card).

Because it is not just locking up in games, I would say it is a safe bet
that you have some sort of a hardware problem. Overheating would be the 1st
place to look.

Sean

Quote:> Hey there.

> Came across a weird problem with my windows xp pro.
> started two days ago. i was playing "pgroject eden" when suddenly
> after pressing the fire action in the game, the sound became
> distorted. i exited the game, tried again with the same results (only
> in game!). rebooted the computer... same results.

> later when i tried to play something else, the computer just froze. no
> error message, no nothing. had to reboot.
> then i noticed that the computer hangs on random ocations. i can be on
> the internet, i can play a game. hell, i can even leave the computer
> on and after a few minutes it freezes on his on...

> tried to reinstall windows, replace the soundblaster and graphic
> card's drivers, nothing seems to help.

> guess i'll be forced to format.
> any help would gladly be accepted.

> some tech info:
> AMD 1200 MHZ
> 384 MB RAM
> 30 MB HD
> WINDOWS XP PRO EDITION
> GEFORCE 32 GTS
> SOUND BLASTER LIVE!

> thx!!

windows xp hangs randomly without an error message

Post by Ofer LaO » Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:53:03

Any hotfixes installed?

Try removing the "System Recovered Error Message Update" if you have that
one installed.

See if it helps.

It could also be problematic drivers to something (usually display card or
sound card).

Ofer.

Quote:> Hey there.

> Came across a weird problem with my windows xp pro.
> started two days ago. i was playing "pgroject eden" when suddenly
> after pressing the fire action in the game, the sound became
> distorted. i exited the game, tried again with the same results (only
> in game!). rebooted the computer... same results.

> later when i tried to play something else, the computer just froze. no
> error message, no nothing. had to reboot.
> then i noticed that the computer hangs on random ocations. i can be on
> the internet, i can play a game. hell, i can even leave the computer
> on and after a few minutes it freezes on his on...

> tried to reinstall windows, replace the soundblaster and graphic
> card's drivers, nothing seems to help.

> guess i'll be forced to format.
> any help would gladly be accepted.

> some tech info:
> AMD 1200 MHZ
> 384 MB RAM
> 30 MB HD
> WINDOWS XP PRO EDITION
> GEFORCE 32 GTS
> SOUND BLASTER LIVE!

> thx!!

1. windows xp hangs randomly without an error message

[...]

2. Windows Messenger

3. XP will hang when installing any program and just hang randomly

4. migrating emails to a new computer

5. Xp crashes randomly and gives error message I can't figure out

6. Powerpoint

7. Window XP Hang up with Error Code Message

8. windowscritical updates

9. Notice that Windows XP, assigns password randomly,cannot repair windows xp.

10. XP Hangs Randomly

11. xp pro randomly hang (freezes)

12. XP hangs randomly and it's getting to be more often.

13. Windows hangs randomly !