PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP!

Post by Kim » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:31:52

How do you get help here?

If you post a message and no one tries to help you, what good is it?

I posted this message a LONG time ago and got NO replies.

Would/could someone please help me.

I have tried searching Microsoft's KB and I can't find anything there.

I sure hope to hear from someone.

Thank you.

Kim

Hi, I could use some help with many problems I am having with WinXP
Pro. This is my 1st post here so I don't have much of an ideal if I am
in the right place and if I am doing this correctly. Here's a list of
some of my problems.

1. The desktop being shown as 2 windows with all the icons in the
right window and 3 boxes labeled Folder Tasks, Other Places and
Details in the left window. I don't want the left window, but I don't
know how to get rid of it.

Also when my desktop is displayed this way, I've noticed that my
Notification Area on the right side of the Taskbar NO longer shows all
the icons that should be there. It NO longer has the ARROW showing
telling me there are other icons there and allowing me to see them.

2. I am trying to set a home network up with 3 PCs. 2 have XP & the
other ME on them. I had the 2 with XP networked and running just fine
until something changed. I have gone through the wizard setting up the
network several times. Each PC is able to see itself in My Network
Places but not the other. Both systems have access to the web via a
router and cable modem. I haven't tried to get the laptop running ME
networked yet. I believe I have all the protocols installed and set up
right,

3. On 1 PC that I performed a update to WinXP Public Beta from a Win98
PC. I then upgraded that to a working copy of WinXP Pro. On this
system I have several problems, 1st being Window Update will not work.
When using Windows Update IE6 starts has a blank white page in the
middle and says DONE in lower left hand corner, The URL is
www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ This is NOT the same URL,
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp, I get on my
other WinXP PC when I click on Windows Update. Could this problem be
tied to the Windows Help system? When I try and use Help and Support
from the Start Menu absolutely nothing happens. I have found that when
I am using a feature of windowsXP and try and get help I might get
help to come up, but there won't be anything available.

4. I have found that I can hang up XP pretty much anytime I want to by
just starting 1 program after another and not really having that many
start. I have found out that 99% of the time when I leave my email
program up and running along with a few back ground programs like
Norton AntiVirus over night in the next morning when I try and start a
program I am told there are NOT enough recourses to be able to start
the program. I have to reboot to clear things out.
I have some other issues but those can wait for the time being. I
would like to be able to tackle these if anyone can help.

Thanks

 Kim

PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP!

Post by mrte » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:44:22

Point 3 & 4 first.  Save any data files you need from those machines.  Set the BIOS to boot from CD.  Insert the XP CD, format the HDDs by doing a clean install, install XP then your programs.  Having done this, point 1 might, or should, be taken care of.

> [...]
| tied to the Windows Help system? When I try and use Help and Support
| from the Start Menu absolutely nothing happens. I have found that when
| I am using a feature of windowsXP and try and get help I might get
| help to come up, but there won't be anything available.
|
| 4. I have found that I can hang up XP pretty much anytime I want to by
| just starting 1 program after another and not really having that many
| start. I have found out that 99% of the time when I leave my email
| program up and running along with a few back ground programs like
| Norton AntiVirus over night in the next morning when I try and start a
| program I am told there are NOT enough recourses to be able to start
| the program. I have to reboot to clear things out.
| I have some other issues but those can wait for the time being. I
| would like to be able to tackle these if anyone can help.

---

PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP!

Post by Doug Knox MS-MV » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 15:14:48

Kim,

First off, eveyone here that provides assistance is volunteering their time and effort to assist other users.  Sometimes it takes a while to research a problem and come up with a fix.  Posting multiple problems in one post makes it more likely that you will not get an answer quickly, as they may wish to address all of your questions at once.

For your first problem, visit my web site, www.dougknox.com and go to the Windows XP section.  Scroll down to Tweaks and Fixes and follow the link for Remove Common Tasks from  Desktop.  This download is a small VB Script file that will repair this problem for you.

For the notification area, right click the Start button, select Properties.  Go to the Taskbar tab and uncheck Hide inactive icons. If its already unchecked, check it and then click Customize.   Here you can change which icons hide and when.  If this doesn't work, post back.
--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows 9x/XP
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

> How do you get help here?

> If you post a message and no one tries to help you, what good is it?

> I posted this message a LONG time ago and got NO replies.

> Would/could someone please help me.

> I have tried searching Microsoft's KB and I can't find anything there.

> I sure hope to hear from someone.

> Thank you.

> Kim

> Hi, I could use some help with many problems I am having with WinXP
> Pro. This is my 1st post here so I don't have much of an ideal if I am
> in the right place and if I am doing this correctly. Here's a list of
> some of my problems.

> 1. The desktop being shown as 2 windows with all the icons in the
> right window and 3 boxes labeled Folder Tasks, Other Places and
> Details in the left window. I don't want the left window, but I don't
> know how to get rid of it.

> Also when my desktop is displayed this way, I've noticed that my
> Notification Area on the right side of the Taskbar NO longer shows all
> the icons that should be there. It NO longer has the ARROW showing
> telling me there are other icons there and allowing me to see them.

1. HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE

Hello,

I am having a problem which I don't quite understand.

I recently used my COMPAQ RECOVERY CD and restarted my
computer back to it's original factory settings.

Since then, when I got back on the Internet I can no
longer play on Yahoo games. (www.yahoo.com/games) It
gives me 4 reasons:

1) You are behind a firewall.
2) You are not connected to the internet.
3) The server is down.
4) You have a stale page in your cache.

I was connected to the Internet, the server was not down,
I have erased all of the pages in my cache, so that leads
me to one conclusion, the firewall.

Also, I have been unable to go into chatrooms, I can use
the Yahoo chatrooms, but at the start of a chatroom it
says "You cannot use Voice in this chat because you are
behind a firewall" or something very similar to that.
Some other chatrooms do not work. (www.rimestimes.com,
www.leannfans.com)

I have not done anything to change anything as far as I
know, can someone please help me?

I have tried checking the Firewall box on my connections
in the `Advanced` tab and it still doesn't work either
way.

Can someone tell me what I need to do, in a simple way if
you can.

Thanx.

~Michael~

2. Add this to multimedia software !

3. printing from the web please help please help me

4. WixXP Pro Opening Windows of it's Own Accord

5. Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Please

6. Get rid of Promise board

7. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP PLEASE

8. Internet Explorer hypertext problem

9. please please please help!!!!!

10. -->PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with Audio Logic 2.6<--

11. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

12. Please Please Please Help

13. Please please please help!