Blocking Pop ups

Post by Tim Hal » Sun, 11 May 2003 16:04:14

I've recently started receiving pop-up ads in explorer windows that open on
their own, originating from a site at http://www.win250dollar.com .  As I'm
on ADSL, these things pop up all day whether I'm browsing or not.  They are
very irritating, since I do not want and did not ask for them and more
worryingly, there must be something on my PC that is calling out for them!
I'mm showing no viruses under AVG virus scan, no nasties with ad-aware and
the connection is firewalled under XP - any suggestions please.

Any help much appreciated.

Blocking Pop ups

Post by Mcploppy » Sun, 11 May 2003 16:11:14

Hi Tim,

Things to try: Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html  &
Spybot - Search & Destroy - http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html

If these messages are coming from the windows messenger service? have a look
here http://tinyurl.com/bfn4 for an example.

If they are, the messenger service is not the problem, the real problem is
the fact that you are not running a firewall, or if you are, you haven't
blocked ports 137-139.

Disabling the messenger service will stop the popups, but if you have file
and print sharing bound to your external TCP/IP connection, then you could
also potentially be sharing your entire hard disk with the world since
netBIOS uses ports 137-139.

A good firewall can be found at www.zonelabs.com

The small "ShootTheMessenger" Messenger service enabler/disabler will turn
off the messenger.

http://grc.com/miscfiles/ShootTheMessenger.exe

*Or you can do it manually*

*Disabling the Messenger Service*
To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your
computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse at a
later time if you wish to do so.

*Windows XP Home*
Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

*Windows XP Professional*
Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
Double click Services Scroll
down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

HTH

--
Greg Crawford
**********************

 <Tim Hall> typed:
:: I've recently started receiving pop-up ads in explorer windows that open
on
:: their own, originating from a site at http://www.win250dollar.com .  As
I'm
:: on ADSL, these things pop up all day whether I'm browsing or not.  They
are
:: very irritating, since I do not want and did not ask for them and more
:: worryingly, there must be something on my PC that is calling out for
them!
:: I'mm showing no viruses under AVG virus scan, no nasties with ad-aware
and
:: the connection is firewalled under XP - any suggestions please.
::
:: Any help much appreciated.

Blocking Pop ups

Post by Mcploppy » Sun, 11 May 2003 16:14:57

Also http://www.adshield.org/

 <Mcploppy ?> typed:
:: Hi Tim,
::
:: A good firewall can be found at www.zonelabs.com
::
[...]
:: Click Services
:: Double click Services Scroll
:: down and highlight "Messenger"
:: Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
:: Click the STOP button.
:: Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
:: Click OK
::
::
:: HTH
::
:: --
:: Greg Crawford
:: **********************
:: *www.greg-crawford.co.uk*
:: *Remove MyShoes 2 email *
:: **********************
::
::  <Tim Hall> typed:
:::: I've recently started receiving pop-up ads in explorer windows that
open on
:::: their own, originating from a site at http://www.win250dollar.com .  As
I'm
:::: on ADSL, these things pop up all day whether I'm browsing or not.  They
are
:::: very irritating, since I do not want and did not ask for them and more
:::: worryingly, there must be something on my PC that is calling out for
them!
:::: I'mm showing no viruses under AVG virus scan, no nasties with ad-aware
and
:::: the connection is firewalled under XP - any suggestions please.
::::
:::: Any help much appreciated.

Blocking Pop ups

Post by Steve C. Ra » Sun, 11 May 2003 20:31:24

Go to www.panicware.com , download and install the free version of Pop Up
Stopper.

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "mail" with "36db"

Quote:> I've recently started receiving pop-up ads in explorer windows that open
on
> their own, originating from a site at http://www.win250dollar.com .  As
I'm
> on ADSL, these things pop up all day whether I'm browsing or not.  They
are
> very irritating, since I do not want and did not ask for them and more
> worryingly, there must be something on my PC that is calling out for them!
> I'mm showing no viruses under AVG virus scan, no nasties with ad-aware and
> the connection is firewalled under XP - any suggestions please.

> Any help much appreciated.

Blocking Pop ups

Post by Alex Nicho » Mon, 12 May 2003 12:56:24

>I've recently started receiving pop-up ads in explorer windows that open on
>their own, originating from a site at http://www.win250dollar.com .  As I'm
>on ADSL, these things pop up all day whether I'm browsing or not.

These sound like the ones originating in hits on the Messenger service.
Note that here are two separate things.  Windows Messenger - the Instant
messaging utility, and the 'Messenger Service' which is used on networks
for their Admins to broadcast things like 'Server closing in 5 minutes'.
It is the latter involved in popups, through a hole in the NetBIOS
networking which is being exploited.  Either use a firewall and set it
to a level that blocks NetBIOS, or disable this Messenger Service, at
Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services; double click Messenger and first
click Stop, then set Startup type to Disabled and Apply, ready for next
boot

--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows - File Systems)