windows xp upgrade from windows 98

Post by Les » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 02:24:30

Going thru the upgrade process from Windows 98 2nd ed to
windows XP home edition I received the message, Drive C:
corrupt and cannot be repaired.  Windows 98 is running
fine, I did a total disk scan as well as defrag and no
errors came back.  What is the story?

windows xp upgrade from windows 98

Post by Nutcas » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:15:02

Hi Les,

WinXP is very sensitive to any hardware faults. You might first try a drive diagnostic tool from the maker of your hard drive and see what it reports.

Also, to avoid possible conflicts, try the advice on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
Associate Expert - Windows XP
Please reply only to newsgroup...

> Going thru the upgrade process from Windows 98 2nd ed to
> windows XP home edition I received the message, Drive C:
> corrupt and cannot be repaired.  Windows 98 is running
> fine, I did a total disk scan as well as defrag and no
> errors came back.  What is the story?

1. Windows XP upgrade from Windows 98

I'm having a lot of ftrouble with my home computer running
Windows 98 and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows XP.
If I have a corrupted version of Windows 98, will I still
be able to upgrade of would I have load a full version of
Windows XP.  I'm currently experiencing lockups when I
double click on "older" desktop icons.  Most of the more
recent additions seem to work o.k.

2. 3rd party app for reordering and positioning of swap file

3. Windows XP, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98 Network Oddball Behavior

4. files to save pre-formatting hard drive

5. Slow re-draw when scrolling or moving up/down in window (Windows XP: upgraded from Windows 98)

6. Memory leak in the TransparentImage() on emulator

7. Upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp

8. Software for read handwrite music score ?

9. Upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP

10. Can I upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home or Proffessional

11. Upgrade Windows 98 to Windows XP or reinstall

12. Upgrading Windows 98 to Windows XP (online)

13. Windows 98 Upgrade To Windows XP Professional Problem