cannot install xp

cannot install xp

Post by Daniel Louwren » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:12:14



My apologies to those who have seen my post on another NG,
but the thread seemed to dissapear, so I am trying here.

I have already installed xp twice but had to uninstall because I
could not get my printer to work.
 I have now resolved the printer issue but now xp will not install.
I have gone through all the hardware and software issues, I have run
 the  PC pitstop compatibility test and have no issues.
 I have visited the MS site and can confirm no issues and my system
requirements are well over the recommended.
 When I try to run the compatibility test my PC hangs and when I try
to install my PC hangs as soon as it gets to "preparing installation"
 this even  happens when I run install in "clean boot".
 I am installing over ME

can someone please help

 regards

Daniel

 
 
 

cannot install xp

Post by Minerv » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:25:35


Boot from the windows cd, format the hard drive. It will have much less
problems, if you perform a CLEAN     install, instead of an upgrade install.

--
Minerva

Quote:> My apologies to those who have seen my post on another NG,
> but the thread seemed to dissapear, so I am trying here.

> I have already installed xp twice but had to uninstall because I
> could not get my printer to work.
>  I have now resolved the printer issue but now xp will not install.
> I have gone through all the hardware and software issues, I have run
>  the  PC pitstop compatibility test and have no issues.
>  I have visited the MS site and can confirm no issues and my system
> requirements are well over the recommended.
>  When I try to run the compatibility test my PC hangs and when I try
> to install my PC hangs as soon as it gets to "preparing installation"
>  this even  happens when I run install in "clean boot".
>  I am installing over ME

> can someone please help

>  regards

> Daniel


 
 
 

cannot install xp

Post by Daniel Louwren » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:32:55


I am beginning to think you are right but am reluctant
to format as I have 25gig of information on my hard drive.
do you have anything else I coud try????

> Boot from the windows cd, format the hard drive. It will have much less
> problems, if you perform a CLEAN     install, instead of an upgrade
install.

> --
> Minerva


> > My apologies to those who have seen my post on another NG,
> > but the thread seemed to dissapear, so I am trying here.

> > I have already installed xp twice but had to uninstall because I
> > could not get my printer to work.
> >  I have now resolved the printer issue but now xp will not install.
> > I have gone through all the hardware and software issues, I have run
> >  the  PC pitstop compatibility test and have no issues.
> >  I have visited the MS site and can confirm no issues and my system
> > requirements are well over the recommended.
> >  When I try to run the compatibility test my PC hangs and when I try
> > to install my PC hangs as soon as it gets to "preparing installation"
> >  this even  happens when I run install in "clean boot".
> >  I am installing over ME

> > can someone please help

> >  regards

> > Daniel

 
 
 

cannot install xp

Post by Richard Urba » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:08:34


Backup your important information to another drive, THEN do a clean install.
You should have a backup anyway!


> I am beginning to think you are right but am reluctant
> to format as I have 25gig of information on my hard drive.
> do you have anything else I coud try????


> > Boot from the windows cd, format the hard drive. It will have much less
> > problems, if you perform a CLEAN     install, instead of an upgrade
> install.

> > --
> > Minerva


> > > My apologies to those who have seen my post on another NG,
> > > but the thread seemed to dissapear, so I am trying here.

> > > I have already installed xp twice but had to uninstall because I
> > > could not get my printer to work.
> > >  I have now resolved the printer issue but now xp will not install.
> > > I have gone through all the hardware and software issues, I have run
> > >  the  PC pitstop compatibility test and have no issues.
> > >  I have visited the MS site and can confirm no issues and my system
> > > requirements are well over the recommended.
> > >  When I try to run the compatibility test my PC hangs and when I try
> > > to install my PC hangs as soon as it gets to "preparing installation"
> > >  this even  happens when I run install in "clean boot".
> > >  I am installing over ME

> > > can someone please help

> > >  regards

> > > Daniel

 
 
 

cannot install xp

Post by Adam Leins » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:36:35




Quote:> I have already installed xp twice but had to uninstall because I
> could not get my printer to work.
> I have now resolved the printer issue but now xp will not install.
> I have gone through all the hardware and software issues, I have run
> the  PC pitstop compatibility test and have no issues.

It would help to have a picture of your environment, i.e. a listing of
your hardware.

If you want to start clean without formatting, you could try booting
from a DOS diskette, running SMARTDRV and then doing a "deltree /y C:
\windows", which will just delete your Windows directory (if you are
using Lookout Express, be sure to backup your mail to somewhere else,
as I think it stores its mail in C:\windows\application data\microsoft
\<some_really_big_hexadecimal_key>).

Adam
--
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll
believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to
touch it to be sure - Murphy's Law  

 
 
 

cannot install xp

Post by Marti » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:24:30


Buy a second hard disk, configure it as the C drive and configure the old C
drive as D. Then do a clean install and pull across any data you need when
the install has finished.


> I am beginning to think you are right but am reluctant
> to format as I have 25gig of information on my hard drive.
> do you have anything else I coud try????


> > Boot from the windows cd, format the hard drive. It will have much less
> > problems, if you perform a CLEAN     install, instead of an upgrade
> install.

> > --
> > Minerva


> > > My apologies to those who have seen my post on another NG,
> > > but the thread seemed to dissapear, so I am trying here.

> > > I have already installed xp twice but had to uninstall because I
> > > could not get my printer to work.
> > >  I have now resolved the printer issue but now xp will not install.
> > > I have gone through all the hardware and software issues, I have run
> > >  the  PC pitstop compatibility test and have no issues.
> > >  I have visited the MS site and can confirm no issues and my system
> > > requirements are well over the recommended.
> > >  When I try to run the compatibility test my PC hangs and when I try
> > > to install my PC hangs as soon as it gets to "preparing installation"
> > >  this even  happens when I run install in "clean boot".
> > >  I am installing over ME

> > > can someone please help

> > >  regards

> > > Daniel

 
 
 

1. Cannot install XP on an XP partition??

Hi all,

I'm working my way through a maze of problems to try and get my Media
Centre back up and running.

Basically, my ATI Radeon drivers seemed to get confused/corrupted after
plugging in a second display, and now the drivers crash each time
Windows start up. In order to check whether it's a hardware problem or
a deep driver problem (uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers didn't
work, and System Restore failed), I've decided to try reinstalling
Windows. I've Ghosted the partition as it is, and am now trying to
reinstall Windows XP over the existing install. The idea is that if it
also doesn't work on a vanilla XP build, it it's time to RMA the card.

So - I've booted off the XP (actually MCE 2005) install CD-ROM, hit f6
and loaded my Promise SATA WinXP drivers when prompted. It's now come
to the partition selection screen, and I can see my IDE (2 partitions)
and SATA (3 partitions) drives on there. My old XP was on SATA,
Partition 1

However - when I choose it, it always reports to me "However, this disk
does not contain a Windows XP-compatible partition". This despite there
being XP installed on it at the moment! The XP OS partition is a
Primary Partition (the rest being a single Extended split into two
logical parts); it's active, and formatted as NTFS. It should install
on here, no?

I've tried deleting and re-creating the partition; nothing. I've tried
using FIXBOOT and BOOTCFG on it, just for the hell of it. I'm not going
to touch FIXMBR, since it reports the drive as nonstandard (probably
due to the SATA controller), and I have 100Gb of data on the other
partitions. Unfortunately I don't have space to move that elsewhere, so
that I could wipe the entire drive.

Can anyone recommend what I can do to be able to reinstall Windows on
this machine? I don't think I'm doing anything other than when I first
installed it, and it's not giving me any other options to try here...

Thanks!

Damian

2. Sound Card Error Can't See SB Monster card

3. Cannot install XP on system - crashing out

4. updates for Windows XP

5. HELP PLS: Cannot Install XP Episode II "Attack of the Errors"

6. ADOCE31 eVC???

7. Cannot install XP on an IOMEGA USB External Drive

8. My Creative Pc-DVD Drx2, dosent work en Win XP

9. Cannot install XP Pro on new 200GB HD

10. !!! Cannot install XP, it crashes!!!

11. Help! Cannot install XP Pro

12. S.O.S-Cannot install XP

13. Asus A7V266-EX: cannot install XP (perfectly)