cant access my mp3`s or pictures?

Post by Frank dupon » Wed, 14 May 2003 21:39:02

hi.i made a backup of my pictures and all my mp3`s to my
second hard drive..then i restored them back to my first
hard drive but now when i try to double clik on any of my
pictures windows tells me that i dont have access to
them  ???? wtf ?...the dam pictures are there in my
folder but i dont have access to them?.
can someone help me..?

Post by you » Wed, 14 May 2003 22:18:35

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>hi.i made a backup of my pictures and all my mp3`s to my
>second hard drive..then i restored them back to my first
>hard drive but now when i try to double clik on any of my
>pictures windows tells me that i dont have access to
>them  ???? wtf ?...the dam pictures are there in my
>folder but i dont have access to them?.
>can someone help me..?
>.

Hello mate

Sounds like an "ownership" problem. Try taking ownership
of the files.

Post by MV » Thu, 15 May 2003 01:17:14

> hi.i made a backup of my pictures and all my mp3`s to my
> second hard drive..then i restored them back to my first
> hard drive but now when i try to double clik on any of my
> pictures windows tells me that i dont have access to
> them  ???? wtf ?...the dam pictures are there in my
> folder but i dont have access to them?.
> can someone help me..?

Hi

Have you tried to take ownership:

torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Post by Fran » Thu, 15 May 2003 06:07:51

> [...]

us;308421

>--
>torgeir
>Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version
of the 1328 page
>Scripting Guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter
Quote:

>.
>hi,thanks for the answer ...ok i did what it says on the

link you sent me and it still doesnt work ...all the
files i want to access are writen in green?...

Post by MV » Thu, 15 May 2003 06:17:01

> hi,thanks for the answer ...ok i did what it says on the
> link you sent me and it still doesnt work ...all the
> files i want to access are writen in green?...

Ouch, that indicates that the files are encrypted with Microsoft's Encrypting
File System (EFS). That's a whole different ballgame.

You have reinstalled the OS? In that case, your only hope is that you did
export the encryption key before the reinstall or if you have a backup of the
old user's profile files:

Microsoft have a tool (reccerts.exe) that might can help you out if you have
the old user's profile files (paid support), or if you are an advanced user,
you can take a shot at yourself, take a look here:

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

And from a previous posting of mine:

Read and understand the information in the links below before you start using
Encrypting File System (EFS), or you will very likely loose your files one
time in the future:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/recove...

(58 pages)

also gives information/links on to how to export keys, e.g.

"Data Recovery on Standalone Machines"

Under "Knowledge Base Articles on EFS" you will find e.g.

Q241201 How to Back Up Your Encrypting File System Private Key
Q255742 Methods for Recovering Encrypted Data Files

Reading Q255742, will give you this as well:

Q241201 HOW TO: Back Up Your Encrypting File System Private Key in Windows 2000

Q242296 How to Restore an EFS Private Key for Encrypted Data Recovery

If your computer is not a member of an AD domain, this part of the document is
obligatory reading:

"Using EFS with Standalone Machines or NT 4.0 Domains"

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

cant access my mp3`s or pictures?

Post by Fran » Thu, 15 May 2003 21:35:36

thanks for your help,but this is a little 2 hard for
me ..so i guess ill put it on ice for now...unless you
can do it for me?

Quote:>File System (EFS). That's a whole different ballgame.

>You have reinstalled the OS? In that case, your only

hope is that you did
Quote:>export the encryption key before the reinstall or if you

have a backup of the
Quote:>old user's profile files:

>Microsoft have a tool (reccerts.exe) that might can help
you out if you have
>the old user's profile files (paid support), or if you

are an advanced user,
Quote:>you can take a shot at yourself, take a look here:

>http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

>And from a previous posting of mine:

>Read and understand the information in the links below

before you start using
Quote:>Encrypting File System (EFS), or you will very likely

loose your files one
Quote:>time in the future:

>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;223316

>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administr

ation/recovery/default.asp
Quote:

>(58 pages)

>also gives information/links on to how to export keys,
e.g.

>"Data Recovery on Standalone Machines"

>Under "Knowledge Base Articles on EFS" you will find e.g.

>Q241201 How to Back Up Your Encrypting File System
Private Key
>Q255742 Methods for Recovering Encrypted Data Files

>Reading Q255742, will give you this as well:

>Q241201 HOW TO: Back Up Your Encrypting File System

Private Key in Windows 2000
Quote:

>Q242296 How to Restore an EFS Private Key for Encrypted
Data Recovery

>If your computer is not a member of an AD domain, this

part of the document is
Quote:>obligatory reading:

>"Using EFS with Standalone Machines or NT 4.0 Domains"

>--
>torgeir
>Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version
of the 1328 page
>Scripting Guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Quote:

>.

1. help cant copy pictures from internet to my pictures

 I hope you can help me i am not able to save a picture
from the internet to my pictures when i right click over
picture and select save to, it gives me the format to
save under either art or bitmap i select either one and
when I open file it says no preview. Please help

2. nt4 to xp home

3. lame "mp3`s" won′t pla

4. administrator

5. cant access web, can access email server, help appreciated

6. AutoComplete

7. Win 95 machine cant access network..but can be seen and accessed by network

8. Shutdowns and Lockups

9. transfer pictures from picture navigator to my picture file

10. cant get picture on mediaplayer

11. cant view pictures

12. Cant save a Picture file from IE6.0

13. Cant Send Pictures