Mass Storage Device Not Supported

Post by Al Fran » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 05:10:33

When running Windows XP Upgrade Advisor I get a message "Mass Storage Device
Not Supported".  I currently run WinNT on this system which has a 75Gig hard
drive.  The BIOS does not recognize it automatically either but it has
worked fine for me on WinNT for over a year.  Could this be a problem with
WinXP ???

Mass Storage Device Not Supported

Post by Elwoo » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:13:58

Is it an older computer? You may need to update your BIOS to better support
drives that large. Since it is not being detected properly before XP loads I
doubt that the problem is with Windows. Have you tried it with XP yet? It
might still work, but I would try to figure out why it's not being detected
in the bios.

By the way, how is the drive connected; if it's hooked up to something like
an ATA66 card you may need to find updated drivers for XP, if there are any.

Hope that helps

---------------------------
Elwood's Windows Forum
http://pub41.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=3446710762

Quote:> When running Windows XP Upgrade Advisor I get a message "Mass Storage
Device
> Not Supported".  I currently run WinNT on this system which has a 75Gig
hard
> drive.  The BIOS does not recognize it automatically either but it has
> worked fine for me on WinNT for over a year.  Could this be a problem with
> WinXP ???

1. Number of USB mass storage devices supported

I would like to know the maximum number of USB floppy and
USB CD devices that can be supported under Windows XP?  I
believe the USB specification defines a maximum of 127
devices from a hardware standpoint.   But would like to
know what the operating system limitations are.

Our company is looking at performing a manufacturing
operation of testing multiple floppy and/or CD devices on
a single box and would love to be able to expand the
number of these devices from the standard 2 floppies and 4
IDE CD's.

Thanks in Advance.

Jim

2. How to repair IE6

3. USB Mass Storage Device not Recognized

4. NTLDR: Fatal Error 4096 Reading boot.ini

5. Mass storage devices not visible in Explorer

6. Bluetooth mouse/keyboard and laptop

7. Mass Storage Device not recognize in USB 2.0

8. Check out this site fwd: Grab a prefer offer

9. USB Mass Storage Device not working properly in XP Home

10. "Ejecting" SATA drive (mass storage device, NOT USB) using script

11. USB Mass Storage device not working

12. USB Mass Storage Device not shown in "My Computer"

13. USB Mass Storage Device not Recognised