can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

Post by JayMa » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:05:04

I am trying to copy 4 gigs of data to a laptop that has 50gig free but keep
receiving an error can not copy There is not enough free disk space. Anyone
seen this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

Post by Thomas Wendel » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 02:10:25

Form what filesystem to what filesystem?? If from NTFS (that can have big
files) to FAT32 where max file size is~ 4GB? Or to FAT16 where the max file
siza is even smaller??
Or are there a lot of small files?

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

Quote:> I am trying to copy 4 gigs of data to a laptop that has 50gig free but
keep
> receiving an error can not copy There is not enough free disk space.
Anyone
> seen this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

> Thanks in advance.

can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

Post by JayMa » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 02:27:04

Darn.. It looks like your on to something!

One 4gig file From NTFS to Fat32.

So it appears that I need to update the Fat32 to NTFS, correct? Ok now its
been some time since I have had to do this. If I remember correctly when
converting from fat32 to ntfs the conversion will format the drive and I will
lose all info?

This is a laptop that I have upgraded from Win2k to XP Pro. Im guessing that
I missed the prompt to convert to NTFS?

Thanks for your input.
JayMan

> Form what filesystem to what filesystem?? If from NTFS (that can have big
> files) to FAT32 where max file size is~ 4GB? Or to FAT16 where the max file
> siza is even smaller??
> Or are there a lot of small files?

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland      (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

> > I am trying to copy 4 gigs of data to a laptop that has 50gig free but
> keep
> > receiving an error can not copy There is not enough free disk space.
> Anyone
> > seen this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

> > Thanks in advance.

can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

Post by neil » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 05:50:08

You can use the "convert" command in a cmd prompt. Type convert/? to see the
options.
Neil

> Darn.. It looks like your on to something!

> One 4gig file From NTFS to Fat32.

> So it appears that I need to update the Fat32 to NTFS, correct? Ok now it's
> been some time since I have had to do this. If I remember correctly when
> converting from fat32 to ntfs the conversion will format the drive and I
> will
> lose all info?

> This is a laptop that I have upgraded from Win2k to XP Pro. Im guessing
> that
> I missed the prompt to convert to NTFS?

> Thanks for your input.
> JayMan

>> Form what filesystem to what filesystem?? If from NTFS (that can have big
>> files) to FAT32 where max file size is~ 4GB? Or to FAT16 where the max
>> file
>> siza is even smaller??
>> Or are there a lot of small files?

>> --
>> Tumppi
>> Reply to group
>> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>> Helsinki, Finland      (remove _NOSPAM)
>> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

>> > I am trying to copy 4 gigs of data to a laptop that has 50gig free but
>> keep
>> > receiving an error can not copy There is not enough free disk space.
>> Anyone
>> > seen this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

>> > Thanks in advance.

can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

Post by Thomas Wendel » Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:26:55

convert ?: /fs:ntfs  where ? is the drive letter you wish to convert. At
least 15% free space needed

It _SHOULDN'T_ destroy anything, but, better safe than sorry, make a backup
anyway..

(I  image my HDs to an external FAT32 drive with Acronis TI8,and it parts
them  into 4GB (4 194 304 KB) chunks)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group
Helsinki, Finland      (remove _NOSPAM)

> Darn.. It looks like your on to something!

> One 4gig file From NTFS to Fat32.

> So it appears that I need to update the Fat32 to NTFS, correct? Ok now it'
> been some time since I have had to do this. If I remember correctly when
> converting from fat32 to ntfs the conversion will format the drive and I
will
> lose all info?

> This is a laptop that I have upgraded from Win2k to XP Pro. Im guessing
that
> I missed the prompt to convert to NTFS?

> Thanks for your input.
> JayMan

> > Form what filesystem to what filesystem?? If from NTFS (that can have
big
> > files) to FAT32 where max file size is~ 4GB? Or to FAT16 where the max
file
> > siza is even smaller??
> > Or are there a lot of small files?

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland      (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)

> > > I am trying to copy 4 gigs of data to a laptop that has 50gig free but
> > keep
> > > receiving an error can not copy There is not enough free disk space.
> > Anyone
> > > seen this before? Any help would be much appreciated.

> > > Thanks in advance.

1. "not enough disk space"

For the last few days my sister has been unable to send emails, not even a
simple "test" email to me. Whenever she tries she gets the message "this
email could not be sent. There is not enough disk space".

I'm not sure what the problem is. There should be plenty of disk space. We
went to Help, searched on 'disk space' and followed all the actions there on
deleting stored messages, compacting, pretty much all the option on the
Maintenance tab under Tools-> Options, yet she still gets the message and
cannot Send or Receive any messges. Any clues???

Deb

2. M.S.I.E. 4.0 Browser only

3. "Not enough disk space"

4. NTFS question

5. Repeating "There is not enough disk space" error

6. My digital camera

7. "Not enough memory or insufficient disk space"

8. "art" & "Jpeg" formats

9. Not enough "free memory" to run programs when I have more than enough RAM

10. Disabling "SytemRestore", does not free disk space.

11. CD "free space" and "used space"

12. Can not copy 6GB file from win2k server to xp, not enough disk space...

13. WMP 7.0 reports "not enough space to complete this operation"