one program autostart - multiple users, multiple starts...

one program autostart - multiple users, multiple starts...

Post by Brian Robert » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:46:05

How can I get a program to automatically start for all users but not try to
start again when switching users?
I am using XP pro and have 3 users, I have set Bigpod cable app to start
automatically but when switching users it tries to start again and can't
connect as already in use. It only needs to be shut down for new user as it
is already running, but it is annoying none the less.
I originally put the shortcut in startup folder for all users, then removed
it and put entry in registry instead but result is same.
Thanks!
Brian

Post by Phil » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:58:41

> How can I get a program to automatically start for all users but not try to
> start again when switching users?
> I am using XP pro and have 3 users, I have set Bigpod cable app to start
> automatically but when switching users it tries to start again and can't
> connect as already in use. It only needs to be shut down for new user as it
> is already running, but it is annoying none the less.
> I originally put the shortcut in startup folder for all users, then removed
> it and put entry in registry instead but result is same.
> Thanks!
> Brian

I needed to do the same with my motherboard temp. monitoring software.
The best way i found was using windows scheduler and adding to run on
startup. In the run as... box put the name as administrator and enter
your administrator password. I found that unless you run the program
as administrator then it wont load up.

one program autostart - multiple users, multiple starts...

Post by Brian Robert » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:22:30

Thanks Phil, but that didn't work for this one.
Started ok but switched user and net connection was not present.
Switched back and my connection had gone also and had to restart bigpond.
Have put shortcut back in all users startup folder again for now. :-(
Thanks for your time though!
Brian

Quote:> > How can I get a program to automatically start for all users but not try
> > start again when switching users?
> > I am using XP pro and have 3 users, I have set Bigpod cable app to start
> > automatically but when switching users it tries to start again and can't
> > connect as already in use. It only needs to be shut down for new user as
it
> > is already running, but it is annoying none the less.
> > I originally put the shortcut in startup folder for all users, then
removed
> > it and put entry in registry instead but result is same.
> > Thanks!
> > Brian

> I needed to do the same with my motherboard temp. monitoring software.
> The best way i found was using windows scheduler and adding to run on
> startup. In the run as... box put the name as administrator and enter
> your administrator password. I found that unless you run the program
> as administrator then it wont load up.

one program autostart - multiple users, multiple starts...

Post by Kell » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:06:52

Hi,

Fast user switching allows you to quickly switch to another user account
without having to close any programs. This setting controls whether fast
user switching is available.

Open your registry and find the key below. You may need to create the key if
it does not already exist.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
'AllowMultipleTSSessions' and edit the value according to the settings
below.

Fast User Switching and Internet Connection

The following entry will stop the prompt to shut down the connection when
changing users under Windows XP. This enables a permanent internet
connection with multiple users on your PC under Windows XP.
Start/Run/Regedit

Then right-click the right-hand pane, select New/String Value. Name the
value KeepRasConnections and set it to 1.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the
change to take effect.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP DTS
[AE-Windows? XP]

Windows Troubleshooting & Support
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/

Quote:> > How can I get a program to automatically start for all users but not try
> > start again when switching users?
> > I am using XP pro and have 3 users, I have set Bigpod cable app to start
> > automatically but when switching users it tries to start again and can't
> > connect as already in use. It only needs to be shut down for new user as
it
> > is already running, but it is annoying none the less.
> > I originally put the shortcut in startup folder for all users, then
removed
> > it and put entry in registry instead but result is same.
> > Thanks!
> > Brian

> I needed to do the same with my motherboard temp. monitoring software.
> The best way i found was using windows scheduler and adding to run on
> startup. In the run as... box put the name as administrator and enter
> your administrator password. I found that unless you run the program
> as administrator then it wont load up.

one program autostart - multiple users, multiple starts...

Post by Brian Robert » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:32:23

Thanks Kelly, I'll give it a try
Brian

> Hi,

> Fast user switching allows you to quickly switch to another user account
> without having to close any programs. This setting controls whether fast
> user switching is available.

> Open your registry and find the key below. You may need to create the key
if
> it does not already exist.

> Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
> 'AllowMultipleTSSessions' and edit the value according to the settings
> below.

> Fast User Switching and Internet Connection

> The following entry will stop the prompt to shut down the connection when
> changing users under Windows XP. This enables a permanent internet
> connection with multiple users on your PC under Windows XP.
> Start/Run/Regedit

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

> Then right-click the right-hand pane, select New/String Value. Name the
> value KeepRasConnections and set it to 1.

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
> CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
> Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)

> Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the
> change to take effect.

> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly

> MS-MVP DTS
> [AE-Windows? XP]

> Windows Troubleshooting & Support
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/

> > > How can I get a program to automatically start for all users but not
try
> > > start again when switching users?
> > > I am using XP pro and have 3 users, I have set Bigpod cable app to
start
> > > automatically but when switching users it tries to start again and
can't
> > > connect as already in use. It only needs to be shut down for new user
as
> it
> > > is already running, but it is annoying none the less.
> > > I originally put the shortcut in startup folder for all users, then
> removed
> > > it and put entry in registry instead but result is same.
> > > Thanks!
> > > Brian

> > I needed to do the same with my motherboard temp. monitoring software.
> > The best way i found was using windows scheduler and adding to run on
> > startup. In the run as... box put the name as administrator and enter
> > your administrator password. I found that unless you run the program
> > as administrator then it wont load up.

one program autostart - multiple users, multiple starts...

Post by Kell » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 07:34:12

You are welcome, Brian and good luck!

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP DTS
[AE-Windows? XP]

Windows Troubleshooting & Support
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/

> Thanks Kelly, I'll give it a try
> Brian

> > Hi,

> > Fast user switching allows you to quickly switch to another user account
> > without having to close any programs. This setting controls whether fast
> > user switching is available.

> > Open your registry and find the key below. You may need to create the
key
> if
> > it does not already exist.

> > Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
> > 'AllowMultipleTSSessions' and edit the value according to the settings
> > below.

> > Fast User Switching and Internet Connection

> > The following entry will stop the prompt to shut down the connection
when
> > changing users under Windows XP. This enables a permanent internet
> > connection with multiple users on your PC under Windows XP.
> > Start/Run/Regedit

> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

> > Then right-click the right-hand pane, select New/String Value. Name the
> > value KeepRasConnections and set it to 1.

> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
> > CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> > Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
> > Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
> > Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)

> > Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for
the
> > change to take effect.

> > --
> > All the Best,
> > Kelly

> > MS-MVP DTS
> > [AE-Windows? XP]

> > Windows Troubleshooting & Support
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/

> try
> start
> can't
> as
> > it
> > removed

> > > I needed to do the same with my motherboard temp. monitoring software.
> > > The best way i found was using windows scheduler and adding to run on
> > > startup. In the run as... box put the name as administrator and enter
> > > your administrator password. I found that unless you run the program
> > > as administrator then it wont load up.

1. New article on OE multiple addresses, multiple Identities and multiple User Accounts

Here is my latest article for the IE Community website. It's one of those
articles I've been meaning to write for the last 5 years or so. :-)

A Multitude of Multiples: Using Outlook Express with Multiple E-mail Addresses,
Multiple Accounts, and Multiple Identities
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/identity.mspx

--
Tom Koch, MVP for IE/Outlook Express
http://www.insideOE.com/

2. After Upgrade to WinXP from Win98

3. Getting programs to show up in "Start Programs" for multiple users

4. xp Home edition, exits game to windows.

5. Share one Message Store & WAB w/ multiple XP Users - Can't start OE

6. EVC

7. multiple users one program

8. MFC in foreign languages

9. Starting Multiple Programs With One Icon?

10. I have multiple users, but I want the guest user to always login in first

11. Windows XP: Using multiple Novell users to loginto one Windows XP User

12. stuck btwn multiple user config and one user config in w95

13. Can I get multiple inbox's for multiple users